Christmas dinner carving knife

OK, time for the annual 'what are you going to dissect the Christmas turkey (chicken, roast, etc.) with this year?' thread. I plan to use my Spyderco Mule in CPM 20CV to reduce the bird thawing in the fridge to elegant, precisely sliced portions.

I like knives, but I use an electric knife for the turkey. Just get a neater job for me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Think we are having ham this year. Just the ticket for my grandfather's carving set. It dates from before the advent of stainless blades. (of course, so did he.)
K1bCt0u.jpg

Think we are having ham this year. Just the ticket for my grandfather's carving set. It dates from before the advent of stainless blades. (of course, so did he.)
K1bCt0u.jpg

That's one hell of a carving knife. It has a nice shape to it.

Slysz Bowie always gets the job done on me festival meats year round. That wicked thin edge, and surprisingly good purchase on the handle even amidst ye slimy greases. Merry Christmas!

I'm using a big metal spatula this year to portion lasagna. I started the sauce today, it should be ready tomorrow mid-day, so I can put the lasagna together and let it sit in the fridge overnight to meld into pure yummy-ness before cooking.

:D:cool:

Merry Christmas

I usually go to my Becker BK15 for most family carving duties and bbq even ... but this year being as my fathers been battling cancer I decided to pull out an Old Hickory carving knife that I inherited many years ago ... did a bit of cleanup on it sharpened it up and its set to go as one of the simple surprises we've tried to set up for my folks to enjoy.

Hopefully it will bring back memories and we will get to hear some of the stories ... we may have heard most all of them but it will be good to hear again this year and get to see dad light up awhile to tell them again.

Vote for the Cinquedia

When I got the Cinq, the edges were 35* per side (70* included). o_O I spent some quality time with a file today (hooray for soft carbon steel!) and took them down to just a bit under 25* per side, so I can actually cut stuff with it. I think the turkey will appreciate the difference in geometry (I know I would). :D

OK, time for the annual 'what are you going to dissect the Christmas turkey (chicken, roast, etc.) with this year?' thread. I plan to use my Spyderco Mule in CPM 20CV to reduce the bird thawing in the fridge to elegant, precisely sliced portions.

Love the knife choice, tempted to use mine now. But geez, my turkey is gonna be BIG, and that knife is like 3.5." Tempted to use the Condor Golok which, I'm not kidding, is sharp enough to handle this job. But I'll probably go conventional and use the old 10" Black Angus meat slicer--mainly because everyone in the fam likes thin sliced turkey and the Golok might struggle with that due to blade thickness. :D

y4mLstlHiaQ_oUanNJT9z1v2liLrpFEDNzA1ndQnKJh22fPo9q-3tKv9YJuknJbvlvsMWqWfv12o_DAJIIPdSXABwETQagR8cStnMam8QncjlrtvCmDc7M77741fse4ot7JlxDjXqb9dzzFZAXI44tnUzifn_r1_BHXFZdP_klxA0uti4Mq3cGJaeieD6A5B3DSRrMSz2XKYX1Y9GAzETRhIA

When I got the Cinq, the edges were 35* per side (70* included). o_O I spent some quality time with a file today (hooray for soft carbon steel!) and took them down to just a bit under 25* per side, so I can actually cut stuff with it. I think the turkey will appreciate the difference in geometry (I know I would). :D

Well you pretty much have to test it out on a turkey now!

If my wife cooks the ham like she did last year, I'll need my Stihl chainsaw. None of my knives will be able to baton thru it. Bazinga!

I just use the kitchen knife...

FYI: I do the Turkey at Thanksgiving..she cooks Xmas...

Love the knife choice, tempted to use mine now. But geez, my turkey is gonna be BIG, and that knife is like 3.5." Tempted to use the Condor Golok which, I'm not kidding, is sharp enough to handle this job. But I'll probably go conventional and use the old 10" Black Angus meat slicer--mainly because everyone in the fam likes thin sliced turkey and the Golok might struggle with that due to blade thickness. :D

y4mLstlHiaQ_oUanNJT9z1v2liLrpFEDNzA1ndQnKJh22fPo9q-3tKv9YJuknJbvlvsMWqWfv12o_DAJIIPdSXABwETQagR8cStnMam8QncjlrtvCmDc7M77741fse4ot7JlxDjXqb9dzzFZAXI44tnUzifn_r1_BHXFZdP_klxA0uti4Mq3cGJaeieD6A5B3DSRrMSz2XKYX1Y9GAzETRhIA
The Condor Golok would be good. ;) Guess you need to use it every chance you get. After dinner, head outside and do some tree wacking.

I've got the prototype of this guy, (no pics of the proto). The grinds were uneven so I kept it while developing this bowie further. Makes a heck of a carver.

20BGn1k.jpg

Back