1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chuck Burrows of Wild Rose Trading Company has passed

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Matthew Gregory, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Just heard through fellow knifemaker and good friend Don Andrade that Chuck Burrows, artist and exquisite sheathmaker, passed in his sleep. I have no other further details, but felt that everyone should know.

Sad day. His leatherwork was truly inspiring.

2. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks for sharing Matt, that is sad news indeed, my few interactions with him were always solid, good guy, he will be missed !
    G2

3. Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Dec 20, 2009
    RIP, condolences to his family. This would be a good chance to remember and celebrate his life and art by showing some of the art. If someone has some of his work please show us.

4. Karl B. Andersen

Karl B. Andersen

Jul 27, 2003
    I always appreciated his artistic talent.
    God speed.

5. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Aarrrggh. When I first started heavily on knife forums (KnifeNetwork), Chuck was a dominant presence. He's never played a part in this forum, but I remember his work and words well.

Not only that, he was a savvy tech guy as well. He managed many of my earliest website changes from Wyoming on the side. I traded him one of my early digital cameras for work, as I upgraded.

His close knife-making friend Gib Guignard passed ten years ago, and Chuck reminded me of him often.

These guys were low key, but good. Sigh. This makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks, Matt.

Coop

6. Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Feb 17, 2016
    Really disheartened by this news, Chuck's videos have helped me a lot!

7. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Condolences to the family.
    Chuck and his beautiful primitive frontier style sheaths will be thoroughly missed.

8. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Sad news. condolences to Chuck's family and friends. I didn't know him personally but I have one or two of his videos. People like Mr. Burrows, who spend so much of their lives helping and teaching others, are special. He will be missed. I think maybe going peacefully in his sleep is reward for all the good he did.

9. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Very sad news indeed. :( My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

10. ryan9977

ryan9977

Feb 16, 2006
    i have some pieces from chuck and they are beyond anything I've seen before in terms of quality….he was a true artist….i wish i could have met him and shake his hand and tell him what i thought of his work in person….rip….ryan

11. JParanee

JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Condolences to the family and friends

12. R APPLEBY

R APPLEBY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2003
    Condolences to the family, a great loss, I have referred to his work often for inspiration. R.I.P. Chuck

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  13. caseynz

caseynz

Apr 1, 2007
    R.I.P Chuck , your sheaths were a window into the past, and an inspiration for the future.

14. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Gold Member

May 29, 2006
    Great videos. RIP Chuck.

15. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Peace be with him and his family.

16. HTMD

HTMD Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Sad news- I knew Chuck and visited him several times down in Durango. Have some of his work in my collection that ranks among my favorite knife/sheath combos. His knowledge about the period he loved was unsurpassed - a real and credible authority. Fly on brother, fly on!

17. HTMD

HTMD Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Some of Chuck's work from my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gib left this unfinished blade for Chuck when he died and Chuck finished it off with a handle and sheath for me:
    [​IMG]

Chuck rehandled this old blade with Camel bone and fashioned the sheath:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  18. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    ^^^ Great post, Buddy. Thank you.

Impressive work.

Coop

19. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2005
    RIP Chuck... you inspired us all.

20. Storm Crow

Storm Crow

Apr 12, 2006
    Very sorry to hear this. Chuck did good work and I always enjoyed seeing it.