Classic Military Knives

Two for the M-1 Garand; a WW-II M-1 Bayonet (AFH - American Fork & Hoe) and M-7 (aka M3A1) Scabbard and a Korean War era M-5 Bayonet (Imperial) and M8A1 Scabbard. OH
AFH-M-1-Bayonet-and-Scabbard.jpg

Imperial-M5-Bayonet-and-scabbard.jpg

This is a write-up/review I did on a Klein Electricians Knife on 17 August. 2011. It just goes to show that the Classic Tl-29 pattern will probably never die.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was recently talking to a friend of mine's son who is currently serving in the U.S. Navy as an ET (Electronics Technician). We got to talking about tools and I asked if they were still using Electrician's Knives (TL-29s). I asked him who was making them and he said he didn't know -- he's not a knife guy. After we hung up, I thought nothnig more about it.

Last Friday the FEDEX truck dropped off this knife at my front door -- unsolicited by me I might add. It is a Klein Electrician's Knife (1550-2) model. There is nothing to indicate TL-29 on the wrapper it came in.

ltzSUBt.jpg

6TsiNZt.jpg

6EqfamE.jpg

The knife is well built and solid. Heck, even the blades are centered between the liners and there are no gaps along the spine. I'm wondering if Klein is actually building these knives -- they do build many of their tools -- or if Utica is making them for Klein.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It turns out the knife is made by Utica.

Ben Rocklin, a bread knife maker from Chicago, at the outbreak of WWII, made commando knives out of worn out machinist's files. He made more than 6000 of them, and here's mine:
View attachment 1349342
View attachment 1349343
View attachment 1349344
View attachment 1349345
View attachment 1349346
It's in as-found condition, and I don't plan to change a thing. T-A
Wow! I was just reading a write-up about Ben last night before I went to sleep, and I thought, "I would like to have one of those." I will save your images; they are good ones and as close as I will get, no doubt. Thanks!

Maybe not "classics"
20200531-110932.jpg

The Gerber LMF is a tough knife which I could see being used during deployment.
It is exactly as the name suggests...light multi function...only complaint is the rubbery grip began to fall apart soon after I got it without any encouragement...I l8ke that it can be lashed to a stick to make a kind of spear.
The Ontario SP10 Marine Raider ...on the other hand ....I have my doubts as to whether such a thing would have been carried by troops or sailors since maybe Merrills Marauders ww2...dunno...it is a formidable weapon but its so big and heavy...I wouldnt want to add the weight to any load I was carrying...as far as fighting goes it could be used to deflect bullets:eek:.Other than that it would a difficult knife to hide about ones person.
The huge clip blade makes it less functional than a machete as a "gardening" tool. The sheath wouldnt last long in the field either.

Back