Clip Design Discussion

Putting a weak point so to minimize the effects of failure in regards to replacement cost or user hazard is a perfectly reasonable attitude . It fact it is the optimal design.
However there is another consideration that must be made which is how low the failure point will be. For example if the clip was just the width of one of the sides, would it be better than it is now? It would bend under even lower stress and thus safeguard the attachment point, wearer pants etc., even more.

The clip on the Vision actually clips tight enough so that the retarding frictional force is higher than the force needed to deform the clip. On my Buck/Strider for example it is the reverse. Under similar strains the knife just moves in the pocket (I did some experimenting earlier).

Now this of course is a personal preference. Maybe you would want more retention. However even as it now, the Buck will not come close to falling out even if I attach it to a pair of pants and turn them upside down and jerk on them. I can whip it out with a fast pop, however I can easily get around this by bending the clip down, there is no need to do a cutout.

Of course there comes the question you addressed in the above - what do you want to give. If you want a clip to grip that tight it cannot move, then the stress will obviously have to result in a failure of the clip body or the attachment point (or whatever the knife is clipped onto, which is not sensible as it contradicts the goal).

Now the attachment point is a costly repair because the holes could need to be redrilled or whatever and a clip can just be transferred out and replaced, so it is obvious you go with the latter. However, why do what is done on the Vision clip which is to make the side resistance so weak it deforms that readily. From what I have seen it could be significantly stronger and still give before the attachment site is damaged as I have never seen a folder clip fail so rapidly.

As well consider that a cutout design actually creates a hazard as it greatly increases the chance of the clip catching on something which would otherise just slip over the body of a smooth clip. If you wanted to have it deform readily you could just narrow the clip down at one point, which when stressed would readily deform.

Sergiuz, how much stronger ? A full clip is *many* times stronger than a clip with the body cutout.

Ron a replacement is not necessary, the knife was not intended as a daily carry piece, I am mainly just interested in the lock.

-Cliff

I own an X-Ray vision & love it. I think because the clip is skeletonized, it will bend and grip better. I love the grip I get on it whlie opening and closing. I like it better than solid clips!!

KnifeMan==>------

My brother carries and uses his Pentagon Elite everyday, and his job requires crawling through manholes and other tight, potential snag-spots. As of yet, the clip is as good as the day he received it, still holding tight.

P.S. Is there a chance SOG will make a slightly smaller version of PE? I like the knife a lot, but I'm not quite comfortable with the size.

Thanx

I have also carried the X-Ray and the Vision as a daily carry and had no problems w/the questionable clip design. It doesn't ride up in the pocket and always stays put. Ditto on the x-tra grip the clip provides, it also provides my fingers memory safety zone on the fast close. Very happy with the design! I would like to know if the new lower riding clip design is going to be made available for the Vision, I would prefer a more descreet carry. Still waiting for my X-42 Recondo,Outline,Duo,and Sculptura..... Can't wait.....

Back