Clips and hardware made in USA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomson95

Gold Member
Are the pocket clips and hardware on USA made models also made in the USA ?

I thought Spyderco stamped their own clips. I know they make their own wire clips because I have heard Eric Glesser speaking to the difficulty of keeping them straight with nice rounded corners etc. Hopefully, Sal will show up and set us straight. :) @Sal Glesser

I would love to know for certain , I’m guessing nobody here knows for sure

Just looking for transparency . I had seen statements from other manufacturers lately advertising 100% of components made in USA , and realized how vague “made in the USA “ can be legally . If they source hardware from the Taiwan plant that’s fine but I would like to know .

Just looking for transparency . I had seen statements from other manufacturers lately advertising 100% of components made in USA , and realized how vague “made in the USA “ can be legally . If they source hardware from the Taiwan plant that’s fine but I would like to know .

How far you want to chase that? Do they need to disclose if their machines are Haas or Mori Seki? What about the delivery trucks? What about the lunchroom furniture? What about the chips in the computers that run, well, everything? And on and on...

Eli, The point is, are these parts made in USA, not the production machines. Interesting question though on serveral levels.
Good question Yablanowitz.
Subtext may be truth in labling, which has gotten some traction as secondary gain from push to increase our nation (US) manufacturing capacity.
and realized how vague “made in the USA “ can be legally

Ha Eli, just noticed your "chips in the computers" comment... :p Apple's new silicon workflow...?

Looking for transparency. Here's a suggestion. Start with what you have in your pockets right now. Start a company, grow it into a global business. Spend thirty years watching other people profit from your designs and innovations. Then see how eager you are to share every detail of your company with total strangers on the internet.

There is a lot of support for the "USA' models in the Spyderco community for the sole reason they believe it is completely made in the US. The Golden Colorado etching also implies it. Product component labeling with country of origin is very common through all industries and certainly not divulging trade secrets. Back to the original question , do they source clips from other factories besides golden ? I am going to assume they make the smart and cost effective choice to source from whoever can make them as needed since no one here has been able to confirm or deny.

There is a lot of support for the "USA' models in the Spyderco community for the sole reason they believe it is completely made in the US. The Golden Colorado etching also implies it. Product component labeling with country of origin is very common through all industries and certainly not divulging trade secrets. Back to the original question , do they source clips from other factories besides golden ? I am going to assume they make the smart and cost effective choice to source from whoever can make them as needed since no one here has been able to confirm or deny.

Sal has been personally active on forums for 20+ years. This question has been raised time and again and I have not personally seen it answered. I suspect their are materials sourced from foreign countries that go into Golden made knives. So? The FTC certainly allows for some amount of components and/or materials to be outside the USA.

I've been in the Spyderco community for some time and it has been my experience that the "is it all Made in the USA" crowd is a small percentage of the overall community. Let's suppose that the clips, screws, and springs come from China. What then? You out? Cuz, I'm guessing that all the big boys are doing the same thing.

I work in good ole manufacturing and we sell the MAJORITY of our product overseas and they in turn make a product that comes back to the USA.

Where are the lines drawn and why?

It’s a world market in every aspect of manufacturing . I as well work in Mfg and fabrication my whole life .
By not answering “time and time again” , to me that is my answer .
And that’s gentlemen is all for me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back