close shave from the T.M.Hunt shop.

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
So, if I had to pick the coolest couple of things about what I do, I'd say the top two things would be, 1. The people I have met and become friends with, 2. The fact that I have 100% artistic freedom to do what I want while making my living. I LOVE making knives and spending time in my shop, its where I am most comfortable in my life. However, now that I'm making knives for the masses, it's not very often when I get to do a project for soul purpose of just satisfying my creative itch. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching, but sometimes it's just really nice to do things I think are cool, without having to be concerned with others opinions or critical eyes......... This is one such project.

I've always had a love affair for old straight razors, ever since I found one that belonged to my grandfather stashed away in a closet when I was a young boy. I was kinda of nosey kid, and spent quite a bit of time at my grandparents house. They where pretty old as far as grandparents go. They didn't have my father until very late in there lives, I'm not sure of his exact age, and I'm to lazy to do the math, but I'm pretty sure my grandfather was well into his 50's when my dad was born. Anyway, my point is, there was always things to explore at there house. The tools that grandpa had in his shed where all old and rare compared to todays standards, it seemed like everytime I dug around I would always find new treasures that would fasinate me. I later found out that grandma knew I was digging around, and she would hide different things for me to find around the house so my adventures would never be boring. The simpler times always bring a smile to my face. My grandparents have been gone for many years now, but I still miss them.

Out of all the things I found in that old house. It's some of the things I souldnt of found that have stuck with me the most. Like the straight razor. I'm quite sure grandma wouldnt of willingly let a young boy play with a razor. But like I said, I have had a love affair with them ever since.

Now I have to admit. I have never shaved with one. I will eventually try it. But, I seldom shave anyway. My right hand man Murph however, does indeed shave with a straight razor, and I love the fact that straight razor shaving has kinda become a art in itself and practiced by poeple that understand and appreciate the heritage, the history, and the craft that goes allong with it. So, I had some time alone in the shop a couple of Saturdays ago, I locked myself in the shop, and this is what I came up with.

I started of with just scrap I had laying around the shop. Some 01 tool steel which will be perfect for a razor, and some pieces of g10 taking up space. I know that Murph likes the yellow, and I like black..... Perfect. I will make two of them, and gift one to Murph.

I used a old razor I had laying around for a template, but added a little of my own flair on it. Now that I know I can do it, I will be making some of my own design next, here I am transfering the blades to the scrap piece of 01.

Next, I cut out and profiled the blades, also rough cut the handles and drilled some holes, before I knew it, I had some rough working models.

After that, I made the wedge pieces on the back, I found out the this makes the open and close function of the blade work correctly or incorrectly. I interchanged the colors to show off a little detail when completed.

Hollow ground the blades and stamped them with my mark.

So I fired up the heat treat oven and it gave me some time to taper the rear wedges and start contouring the handles.

Got the blades heat treated in that time.

Final grind and assembly, and peening over the pins and here we are.

I even managed to put a little personal touch on Murphs, lol. For those of you that know him, you will totally get this! :)

Overall, I am very pleased with how these turned out, and I had a blast making them. There will be more and other stuff like this in the very near future. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Incredible stuff yet again man. Very, very nice.

Todd, those razor's look great! I bet they were a fun project.

The etch on Murph's razor is a fitting touch. I like the opening notch on the end of the blade as well as how you used the yellow for the black razor's spacer and visa-versa. I look forward to seeing how you develop and evolve the straight razor designs as you try more of them as well as seeing what else you are scheming up.

The Canadian beat me to it. By 8 minutes. :D

Beautiful as always! :thumbup:

Great personal touch!

Those look great! My father-in-law is into straight razors. Might have to get one from you at some point.

Great looking razor!

Here are the instructions from Tim Zowada on how to properly hone and strop for shaving, if you didn't know:

1. 1 tape, 4000 Norton - 10 laps
2. 1 tape, 8000 Norton - 20 laps
3. 1 tape, Escher - 20 laps
4. 3 tape, Escher - 20 laps
5. 1 tape, 8000 Norton - 20 laps
6. 1 tape, Escher - 20 laps
7. 3 tape, Escher - 20 laps
8. 3 tape, balsa classicshaving white paste - 20 laps
9. 3 tape, balsa classicshaving green paste - 20 laps
10. no tape, horse hanging strop green paste - 30 laps
11. no tape, horse hanging strop - 50 laps

Test shave

1. no tape, fine linen hanging strop - 20 laps
2. no tape, horse hanging strop green paste - 30 laps
3. no tape, horse hanging strop - 50 laps

Remember, the best way to test a razor is to shave with it. All the other "tests" can damage the edge.

You will need to use the strop daily, just not for the first shave. My daily stropping routine is:

Just remember, keep the spine in contact with the strop at all times,and absolutely no down pressure. The blade should just slide across the strop. The strop should be tight too, no sag. If you do it correctly, shouldn't need honing for a few months.

Also, dry and oil it after use. Corrosion, even micro corrosion, is your greatest enemy.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Sweet.

I have long considered getting a straight razor kit for shaving. I only shave my neck, and cheeks, and the straight razor seems like it would a relaxing habit, and give a nice clean line on the beard too.

Those stropping instructions just destroyed any desire I had for a straight razor. I only shave one day a week and I loathe it.

tape?

Todd: very nice

Electrician's tape, I like the 3M Super 33. It gets wrapped around the spine so you can keep a consistent honing/stropping angle without wearing down the spine.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Great looking razor!

Here are the instructions from Tim Zowada on how to properly hone and strop for shaving, if you didn't know:

1. 1 tape, 4000 Norton - 10 laps
2. 1 tape, 8000 Norton - 20 laps
3. 1 tape, Escher - 20 laps
4. 3 tape, Escher - 20 laps
5. 1 tape, 8000 Norton - 20 laps
6. 1 tape, Escher - 20 laps
7. 3 tape, Escher - 20 laps
8. 3 tape, balsa classicshaving white paste - 20 laps
9. 3 tape, balsa classicshaving green paste - 20 laps
10. no tape, horse hanging strop green paste - 30 laps
11. no tape, horse hanging strop - 50 laps

Test shave

Remember, the best way to test a razor is to shave with it. All the other "tests" can damage the edge.

You will need to use the strop daily, just not for the first shave. My daily stropping routine is:

Just remember, keep the spine in contact with the strop at all times,and absolutely no down pressure. The blade should just slide across the strop. The strop should be tight too, no sag. If you do it correctly, shouldn't need honing for a few months.

Also, dry and oil it after use. Corrosion, even micro corrosion, is your greatest enemy.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

This will come in VERY handy. Thank you!

Holy cow! Those are cool. I tried shaving with a straight a couple times and was good until I got around the Adam's apple, that's when the butthole started puckering.

Holy cow! Those are cool. I tried shaving with a straight a couple times and was good until I got around the Adam's apple, that's when the butthole started puckering.

The Adam ' s apple was the part that scared me for the longest time. But like a good tranny, that's not the part you should be concerned with.

Great job Todd!!

The Adam ' s apple was the part that scared me for the longest time. But like a good tranny, that's not the part you should be concerned with.

Are you drunk? You can't be serious with this comment! Who the hell am I spending my nights in the shop with? Lol.

Back