• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Closed Benchmade Propers

I've been doing a number of Proper grips lately.
They are handmade and handshaped not by a CNC so each set is unique. I can fit them exactly on your knife or use grips from mine as a guide which will result in a slightly oversized set. Prices run from $60 shipped to $95 averaging about $75. I can also get a knife, fit grips and mail it to you as a completed package.

both.jpg
20190430_192927-628x484.jpg
20190620_132741-734x852.jpg
20190501_183637-718x667.jpg
20190620_132802-734x850.jpg
20190430_190638-879x879.jpg

Here's a review from the feedback forum
I had the pleasure of commissioning custom scales for my Benchmade Proper from @Roseandthistlecustom. I'll start by saying how pleased I am with the finished product, and how pleasurable was the entire experience of working with Josh. I'm dividing the review into two parts: 1) Communication, 2) Product Pros & Cons.

1) Communication.

I discovered Josh's work through his posting of a benchmade proper with ironwood scales and a Spyderco Dragonfly with ironwood scales. I was initially interested in having my dragonfly modified, but my version didn't have scales under the FRN, so it wasn't workable. Instead, I mentioned my proper and Josh said he could definitely make that happen. Josh was very up front about his pricing, dividing it by parts and labor. He emailed me several samples of ironwood that he had along with some other materials. He also told me about his supplier's own website and IG page, in case there was a set of scales I'd prefer to get on my own. This turned out to be best for me, since I wanted enough to have another modification done on a separate knife. Once I had the scales, Josh informed me of the final labor costs and I marked out what part of the wood to cut and shipped him the wood and the knife (he said he could do the scales without the knife, but that ensuring the best fit would be more feasible with the knife in his hands. Besides, I had ground down part of the butt of the knife, so it had to be sent his way).

Once Josh received the knife he kept me informed of the process throughout and asked me questions to ensure that I got what I wanted. For example, there was a small crack that showed up during shaping, and he asked whether I wanted it filled or left alone if it didn't get removed by final shaping. He also asked whether or not I wanted to keep the lanyard hole. He also made a point to ask how thick or thin I wanted the scales to be shaped. This all seems like standard stuff, but it is the details that are important to make sure you get what you really want, and I think Josh did a good job of ensuring just that.

When the knife was finished Josh sent pictures and made sure I liked what I saw before he shipped it back. I had asked specifically for him to use the same packaging that I sent to him, and that's just what he did.

2) Product Pros & Cons

Although Josh didn't supply the ironwood, he did point me to his supplier and WOW is it some excellent ironwood! The scales I purchased were acquired on one of the IG auctions, but the website also had loads of really good samples, with a variety of price points. I got some really nice scales and Josh did a great job of leaving as much as possible for me to save for another knife.

The craftsmanship on the scales is really good. I love the extra thickness of the wood and the contouring makes it melt right into my hand. Josh had been doing some G10 liners to reinforce the stability of his modifications, but we agreed to just go with good on this example, because the slab might be a little too thin or the handle too thick if we added G10. The overall symmetry of the contouring is excellent. I scanned the scales very carefully and could only find one noticeable different at the top of the knife on the spine where one side is slightly (and I meant ever so slightly) thicker than the other. You can't feel a difference, and you can't see it either unless you are nit picking. The polishing job is also excellent. There are no noticeable differences in the look or the feel of the scales. I believe Josh polished up to 2000 grit, and they really pop in the sunshine, as you can see from the pictures. Another very minor nit picking detail is that during the polishing, the liners got polished in a few places, leaving some shinier areas on the liners as you look along them. Again, it isn't noticeable at all to the touch, and only visible when you are scrutinizing. This bothers me not one bit, since my own modification to the butt of the knife did the same exact thing. I mention it here only for full disclosure.

To wrap things up, I ended up with an outstanding set of scales with precision craftsmanship and excellent communication. I don't know if Josh is doing peened knives, or if he's only working on knives that disassemble with screws, but if you've got a knife that he can modify, I think you'll be pleased with the finished product. As for pricing, I think it is very reasonable for what I ended up with. Way to go Josh, and thanks for making some outstanding scales for my proper!

Attachments

• 20191010_183006-731x974.jpg
    20191010_183006-731x974.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Am I to understand that you make custom scales for a wide variety of knives. If so I'd like to see if I could get a pair made for me.

Thank you for your reply. I would custom scales for a couple kaba r folding knives.

Please excuse my sloppy text. I would like custom scales made for several of the Chinese made KaBar knives I own.

I would like to set up one of my Aurillac knives with American chestnut. I have the wood (from an old flooring sample) and I will have blanks cut to 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 5" long. Any interest?
CtAxeCq.jpg

W8diU2B.jpg

pFlKQ4I.jpg

That's funny, I was just looking at your posts about opinels and wooden boats (I've worked on a few) earlier. I doubt I will take it on but don't mind talking and maybe I can help you find someone.
Text 541-735-1229 or email roseandthistlecustom@gmail.com
I work tonight and tomorrow but start a few days of vacation Tuesday so will be more available then.
Josh

Would you have any interest (or know someone who would) in making me a set of scales for an old Benchmade mini-AFCK? I have a pretty decent knife collection, but one of these always ends up in my pocket more than any other. I have one that has been a reliable carry for longer than my adult son has been alive, and the scales are looking rough. I’ve been trying for awhile to find someone to make custom scales with no luck.

Sorry for the delayed response, just saw your message. I don't think I'm interested but give me some details. Are the back of the scales flat or are there inlets? What handle material are you looking for? Would you be willing to part with the scales (not the whole knife) for a couple weeks.

Thank you for responding. I hope I can convince you to take on this project. I really love this knife.

the back of the knife scales are flat. They are g10 and sit on full length steel liners on one side and the liner lock on the other. As far as materials are concerned, I would love a pair in a lighter wood and one pair in a durable composite material. As long as you are making me one pair of scales, I would love two pair. Could I ask that you drill the clip side so the knife rides tip up? I have gotten to prefer that set up from all my other knives.

I know this is custom work. Most people who make post retail scales have them programmed into a CBC machine. These would have to be hand made.

I would send you the whatever parts you needed to do your work. I also understand that good work takes time. I haven’t been sucked into the Amazonification of buying things. I don’t expect it to get back to me in 3 days.

I took some pictures of the knife together and taken apart if I could send them to you.

-Greg

Back