• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

CNC milling machine. $12,000 OBO

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
ZibIUfS.jpg

This is an old Mori in very good condition.

You used to see this kind of layout where the enclosure in on the table rather than a full enclosure back in the 80's. It's a good layout for us because you can cut materials like G10 and micarta without the abrasive mud getting on the way covers and working its way through and into the ways and ballscrews. The swarf comes out the side and into that hopper. I use these machines for scales production, they're fantastic.

The problem with most these old machines was the old controllers that came on them. Limited capabilities. This model, the JR, almost always has the Fanuc 10M which was a turd. This particular machine is a bit of a unicorn because it got the new (new at the time) Fanuc OM-C control that went on to be the most common controller of the 90's. I love these controls because they're powerful, durable, reliable and parts are cheap and plentiful.

Mori might be the greatest machine tool builder of all time and the 90's machines is where they cemented their reputation as the best. The engineering and build on these machines still stand as the best in the world. This machine, with 6,000 hours on it, is tighter, more accurate and has more life left in it than a brand new Haas. It also weighs about a full ton more than a similar sized Haas so it has significantly more balls.

Don't worry about the early 90's capabilities (the 10M, 6M, OM-a, OM-b were real turds), this OM-C has full 3 axis interpolation including helical (it will thread mill) and it can cut complex 3D forms quickly and accurately. The memory on this one is fully maxed out (an expensive option) at 128K. Longer programs are drip fed through the RS232 port from a PC with a serial port.

The travels are 16X23. The spindle is 8,000 RPM with air-oil lubrication (never goes bad due to old grease). The spindle taper is perfect. It has a 20 tool automatic tool changer. The machine is 7'X7'X9'. It weighs 9,000 pounds. Our forklift will lift that so we can load you for free.

There are three of these on ebay. They're $8,000 for a parts machine, and 15-18K for running machines with the old 10M turd controller. I believe that 12K is a great price for this particular machine however I will accept the first good offer because I need this out of here in two weeks, a new machine is coming and there's nowhere to put it.

Back