Coffee talk: GEC Should buy Queen

I suspect they are trying to do something bigger as a cutlery company for the traditional knife world and, if I'm correct, I think it's admirable. Consider how aggressive GEC has been in creating new patterns. For a young, small company, they invest A LOT in new tooling. They are trying to accomplish something for the traditional knife world, I think. And I've never perceived it as a deliberate business model intended to drive up demand and value. In fact, I think often they do what they do at their own disadvantage. Some patterns they produce, they know will sit on shelves longer than, say, another run of #47s will. Why do that? Why have #82 Bull Moose sit on shelves for a year when they could have run #85s and sell them in days? Because they are worried about demand? I think there's a different motive here. I think this is a case of different "big picture ideas." Just my sense. I could be wrong.

This has always been my impression. I also don’t see the logic in saying that GEC intentionally underproduces popular patterns in order to create demand/rarity. Look at production totals from recent years (since GEC’s popularity has skyrocketed) compared to production totals from 5+ years ago (when even patterns that are highly coveted today sat on shelves for customers to purchase at their leisure). Seems to me like they’ve been working hard to “give the customer what they want” (i.e., quantity of popular patterns) while still producing a good variety of traditional patterns (which, I think, is what Bill Howard really wants to do, but I suppose that’s conjecture).

And don’t listen to Bill Howard. He says the knives are made to use, not collect, then makes sprint runs and handle materials that are 1 of 5. :p

Those are my favorite knives to use! Don’t you know that knives get sad when left in their tubes, just sitting there in a safe or a drawer? Those 1-of-5’s want to get out there and get dirty! :D

Edited to add: And no, I don’t think GEC should buy Queen, for all the reasons that have already been stated.

DelOro DelOro I've seen my share of lock backs that are near impossible to disengage. Nothing more frustrating. There's a trick to making a really good one that unlocks easily yet has zero play.

Jerry,

When I first opened this knife, it sat on my desk for three day's before I could close it.

After far to many attempts to count, I finally managed to get it to close using both hands.

Between embarrassment and the fear of dropping it, back in the tube it went.

I laugh now, but when that happened :mad: I could have stomped that knife!

- Del

Thanks, Jolipapa Jolipapa ! :):thumbsup::cool: My Dad had that recording on a 45 when I was a kid, and it was one of my favorite records of his. I suppose it was my introduction to classical music! :eek::D (Most of my Dad's records were country & western 45s that didn't really move me. :()

- GT

Back