1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Coffee

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Monofletch, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Hot/cold new/old good/bad...... use your imagination!!
    Or we can just do a plain old swap!

2. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm not terribly creative... :confused:

3. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    It was just an idea...

4. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I did a little searching to find some twists other people do, some ones I thought were kind of cool, something homemade, a re-gift, a 2nd beverage type.. we could also add a brief questionnaire to help with likes, ideas, sizing etc.

5. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    I would be open to almost anything really. It’s already fun. The anticipation is the best part.

6. Y'shua

Y'shua

Dec 11, 2015
    I kinda like the other type of beverage thing. I am also huge into tea, besides doing coffee professionally for the last 16 years haha. Just got back from China a few weeks ago with a serious tea haul too!

7. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    ~1/2# of a freshly-roasted Kenya (Kenya Nyeri Ichamama AA from Sweet Maria's) :D

IMG_4478.jpg

8. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    WE Streak and some G7 instant 3 in one coffee! I bought it to throw in the SS but tried it out and WOW! Not bad. It would be great for camping or hiking.
    Strong X2!

4AFE8CCF-6E47-44C4-8556-76B90FE0F126.jpeg

9. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Quoting you from a different thread, but thought the reply would be more appropriate here.

Note that this is a JBM blend. Just in case you aren't aware, JBM "blends" can have very little actual JBM in them, and many are mostly Brazilian, sometimes also blended with Costa Rican. Be wary if the roaster doesn't specify how much JBM is actually used, it could be as little as 5%.

Same thing goes for Kona blends. A 100% JBM bag of coffee will generally run ~$40 - $50.

10. MrsR&T

MrsR&T Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Thankyou, that's good information to have. So sad about how much misrepresentation there is on so many products these days

11. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Yes, sad indeed. You're very welcome.

There was a push at one point that JBM blends disclose the percentage of JBM beans, but for obvious reasons it failed.

12. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    Sump coffee in south St. Louis.

A8C00597-4C25-4D0C-AEA3-285FF5A5E3C3.jpeg

13. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Spyderco PM2 in 52100 Carbon steel with a mustard forced patina

IMG_4576.jpg

The last cup of this batch of Flores Laga Lizu Gnung Gedha. Flores is a new origin for me, and I quite like it! :thumbsup: (the stuff floating on the surface are oil droplets... :cool:) I roasted a batch of a Nicaraguan at the same time, and they're pretty darn similar.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  14. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    Cool pic.

15. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks John!

16. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    I guess we will start our Secret Santa talk around the first of the month. Think about what you guys want to do...... if you want to do it.

17. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm in, have to think about what to do.

IMG_4632.jpg

Matej Uncovsky "Dark Series" Ti folder in RWL34, Brazil Dry Process Fazenda Campos Altos just before beginning work on replacing the thermostat in my car.

dannyp likes this.
  18. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    We can have the same rules as every year or add some. No matter what though— Knives and coffee!!

19. Monofletch

Jan 14, 2010
    0348AD0E-2EE3-4AB4-9D1E-D294B63B40FE.jpeg Uh, oh! I acquired some more of the Flying Monkey whole bean..... that could easily come with the Secret Santa if somebody wanted it!!! :D:D

20. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Nice Mule!!! :thumbsup: Walnut?