Coffee

Proper straight-up Kona is excellent! Very smooth and well-balanced overall. Generally a very pleasant cup. Did you guys know that Kona is actually one of the most ideal coffee-growing regions on the planet? :cool:

I didn't roast it, so maybe they just didn't roast it right. What roast level is recommended for straight Kona?

I almost ordered some Sweet Maria's Kenyan beans, but the Kenyan Coffee Company is Amazon Prime eligible and I was OUT OF COFFEE so I needed it ASAP, LOL.

I didn't experience coffees sold through Amazon being of the greatest quality, at least not when compared to Sweet Maria's, so I don't buy from there after trying a few times. Plus, most of the sellers are for 5 pounds or more at a time, and I generally don't buy more than 2 pounds of an individual coffee at one time.

I didn't roast it, so maybe they just didn't roast it right. What roast level is recommended for straight Kona?

A proper, certified, Kona is usually best City+ to Full City IMO. I don't think they usually tend to be terribly complex (at least not in my experience), but they're usually very well-balanced, mellow, and quite smooth. A "coffee's coffee", if you will.

Hey, Dan, I’ll swing by and suffer with you! A man should have to drink that stuff alone!!! :)

Sure thing!

I agree with SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak about Amazon being hit or miss. I've had mixed results even with stuff from the same seller. The exception to that is Primos. They are direct trade though, so they aren't dealing with a lot of different sources and they have been very good every time I ordered any. The big advantage to ordering Prime is the free shipping. When buying elsewhere, it makes more sense to order enough to make the shipping cost worthwhile. That's why the last few times I've ordered at least 10 lbs.

I've been happy with the stuff I've ordered from Burman so far. They have a pretty good selection of coffee from the inexpensive $4/lb up to $30/lb Kona or JBM Peaberry.

Last edited:
Been having problems with some Kenya Kirinyaga, which I attribute to it being extremely fresh and green. I went through the first batch without ever really nailing it. For lack of a better term, the "green smell" was still there unless I baked all the flavor out. But now I think I have it! I had to slow down the drying phase to ten minutes then ramped up before the drying phase was complete, and ramped up again at the beginning of the caramelization phase about a minute later, keeping everything else normal from then on for a City roast.

I am now basking in the afterglow of the endorphin rush! My wife's comment was "THIS is how coffee SHOULD taste!"

I've seen 'em for sale. Never handled any in person. Sounds interesting. I'd bet Y'shua has though.:)
I’ve only handled them once, they’re fun to play with but the market here isn’t adventurous. For instance I’ve had the same dark roast for 6 years, changed it once and had more complaints in one week than I have 3 years. Folks here want the same thing every day ha. But that’s alright my customer return rate is at 78% and I see around 28% of customer every day, some as many as three times a day. So I’m not complaining, I’ll just keep my lights interesting.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to get everything settled after our move (been using lots of K cups ). For the last month I’ve only carried this Native since all of my other knives are still packed up. I usually switch blades daily but I have enjoyed the Native. Before everyone got up this morning I managed to install a new hbi flat trigger and spring for my CZ and make some decent coffee D41A2382-AA99-4294-8DAE-7FCBCB34DFC0.jpeg

JBM and CRUWEAR.

20200217_092119.jpg

best

mqqn

Back