Coffee

I've now lived in Louisiana for over four years. Prior to arriving her I'd never heard of Community Coffee and now always have it. I do use only water filtered (I use a Brita filter) as I've found that makes a great difference.

I am surprised to see so many here who drink "Community" coffee. It is a brand of coffee which was established near Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1919. They offer various roasts and blends.

If any of you have ever vacationed in New Orleans, then you may have visited the famous Cafe Du Monde(if not, do next time). The Original Cafe Du Monde is a traditional coffee shop which was established in 1862 in the New Orleans French Market. Its menu consists of dark roasted Coffee with Chicory and Beignets. The coffee is served Black or Au Lait. Au Lait means that it is mixed half and half with hot milk. Beignets are square French style doughnuts, fried up hot and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

The coffee served there and in most New Orleans coffee houses is Community "New Orleans Blend" which is dark roasted coffee and chicory. It is very strong which is why it is generally served as "coffee Au lait". It and their other offerings can be ordered online here: http://www.communitycoffee.com/

If you drip an extra strong batch Cafe DuMonde you can mix in 4 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk and then pour over ice and voila, you have a Vietnamese Ice Coffee. It's a real treat during the summer. It's a bit sweet for me but my wife goes nuts for it.

The Aerobie Aero Press makes the best coffee or espresso I have ever tasted. Smooth & not bitter at all.

So far the list is .......

Monofletch
Orchunter93

So far it's only 2 of us. If you want in this coffee swap e mail me your info ssjs678@yahoo. We'll make it a secret Santa coffee exchange!!

I will update the list in post #1 as I get your info

^ rimshot.

I've had excellent coffee, freshly ground and served instantly.

I've had good coffee, freshly ground and served instantly.

I've had mediocre coffee freshly ground and served instantly.

I've had horrible coffee also freshly ground and served immediately, time is a very significant component for coffee, it has a very short half life, an excellent cup can turn unpleasant after less than 20 minutes.

While I am able to appreciate an excellent cup, the higher price and added work aren't worth it for me, I settle at good coffee, freshly brewed and horrible coffee if I am in dire need of caffeine. :D

Starbucks is useful for free wifi. ;)

I can remember only a few times when coffee was so bad that I couldn't drink it. Starbucks as the shops make it and Dunkin' Donuts that I brewed at home.
I like Starbuck Pike Place and I have never had Dunkin' Donut coffee at one of their shops.

I suspect that Starbucks brews their coffee super strong to make their liquid candy bars. I have had old gas station coffee that was better than DD. I see
people buy it in the super markets, so they must like it. :confused:

I like McDonald's coffee, so there's no accounting for taste. ;)

...so bad that I couldn't drink it. Starbucks as the shops make it...

Charbucks. Average beans over roasted then brewed and sold as premium coffee at premium prices to a foolish public.

A fool and his money...

After having really good coffee- custom roasted for me- gas station and fast food tastes bad. Folgers and Maxwell House seem sub par. I am not a coffee snob, but I like what I like.

Every morning at work people come over to my work area and ask if I brought my Thermos! It's like liquid crack!!!!

Def start out with good filtered water or..."blue ridge mtn water." The clean & or filtered water is a MUST for perfect coffee. Jittery Joes (here in GA.) is really REALLY great stuff! They have a coffee called "depth charge." Which is an Espresso milk stout. Terrapin brewery (located here in Athens GA) teamed up with Jittery Joes to come up with this coffee, it's simply outta sight!! All Jittery Joes coffee that I've had was Excellent!! I prefer dark roasts.

P.s. To the guy who said "I don't like dark roasts, so I stay away from Starbucks." Really??? Uh, they do have a lot of "virgin, or blonde roasts too." Just to clairify!

We do Gevalia coffee in our house, both ground and bean. Traditional/Colombian/ Kona/ Papua New Guinea/ and other assorted blends blends. Every month they send us something new to try both ground and bean. I prefer to drink mine black and hot!

When we run out of Gevalia, we use Chock full of Nuts, Dunkin Donuts brand. If you can find Melita coffee, buy it every cup seems to be perfect. I can't find it here anymore for some reason.:mad:

A few friends had told me how much they liked Tim Horton's regular roast. In my mind I am wondering what the deal was until I got a chance to try it. Really good stuff, changed my preconceived ideas of ground canned coffee.

Seconded. I like coffee but I'm not a fanatic about it, just don't have the time. Tim Hortons in a french press is surprisingly good. Maybe not gourmet, but better than anything else I've tried so far. The trick, one of them anyway, is to be very careful with the measuring if you want a consistent flavor. I use a basic kitchen gram scale and it works much better than "X number of scoops". I was shocked at how much variation there was using the scoop method once I checked it against the scale.

Being in police work, I conform to stereotype by being quite the addict. However, although I enjoy a good cup of various premium brews, I'm no snob either.
When I'm working, I stop at QT to fill up my commuter-cup with "Vienna Roast". Not bad at all. At home, I confess it's usually Folgers. the "classic roast" blend. I brew it pretty strong and drink it black.
Back when Gloria Jean's had a brick-mortar store locally, we'd get the beans for various blends and grind 'em ourselves... But they went out of business save online.
I've got a French press and an espresso machine.... I only use 'em occasionally. Lazy, I guess.

mwerner--Take a ride to the south city (Bevo) area. There is a coffee shop on every corner! If you travel up Roger Pl toward Tower Grove there is a nice coffee shop on the corner at Hartford.

I just brewed my first batch of Death Wish coffee. Not bad at all. Great flavor.

Back