Cold Steel Cold Steel Bush Ranger

Quiet

"That Guy"
Platinum Member
With the news of Cold Steel becoming Sold Steel, I have done like many others have and started buying some of the their knives that I'd always had on my "Interested" list but had just never pulled the trigger on. One of those is the Bush Ranger. I have to say, I've gotten a ton of knives lately that I've enjoyed very much, but there was something about this knife that just really wowed me, and I decided to do a review on it, so let's get into it!

TL;DR Version: Buy this knife. Grab one just in case they decide to discontinue these, because you'll definitely miss this guy once it's gone! Simple as that.

Right then, onto the details. Cold Steel is one of knife companies that you either enjoy, love to hate thanks to the antics of its (now former) owner, or else are entirely indifferent to. Regardless of which category you fall into, you have to admit that they make objectively good working knives, and this BR is no exception. In fact, it's so good that for what these go for, they're a great bargain in my opinion. I have seen them go for between $130 and $160ish, depending on where you shop around. Let's run down the list.

The Good:
- Design: The design of this knife mimics a fixed blade that Cold Steel made years ago under the same name that was designed by Lynn Thompson, and I could definitely see how they took the design and ran with it on this folder. Their site lists the designer for this knife as Mike Wallace. Well done, Mike!

- Ergonomics: The ergonomics are simply superior, and the scalloping in the scales (intended to mimic those of an ergonomically sound fixed blade) means this knife is a simple joy to hold, much like most of the rest of their folders. The knife is secure in hand in pretty much every grip. I have many, many knives that cost me much more than this knife did that aren't even close in terms of feel in hand. There isn't a rough spot, or ridge, or jagged edge anywhere on this knife! It's extremely well done. A generous thumb-ramp helps keep this knife comfortable if you decide to use it for a bit of carving.

- Clip: One issue that Cold Steel knives sometimes have is an issue with the pocket clip being too tight, and pair that with the scales of many models being rough, means they're a real pocket hem killer. This one isn't. Thanks to the smooth machined G10 scales, this knife slips into your pocket, and the clip has a perfect amount of tension to keep things where they're supposed to be. Additionally, unlike the clips on other Cold Steel knives, this one is a dull satin finish that almost looks like a Ti clip. A very nice touch!

- Materials: The materials here are first rate. Beautifully smooth machined G10 in a nice tan/brown color, a backspacer (also of G10, I believe in contrasting black) and of course that gorgeous clip-point blade in S35vn all equal a quality made knife. Again, I've paid a LOT more for knives in these exact materials that aren't as nice as this.

- Mechanics: This knife features the Tri-Ad lock, and Demko's "thumb plate", which ultimately works as designed. It is perhaps not as refined as a thumbstud would be, but it does have the added function of you being able to "wave" the knife open Emerson style.

- Edge: My knife came with a nice symmetrical grind that's even on both sides, and screaming sharp! I always love getting a knife I don't immediately have to put on the stones!

- Overall: Overall, this knife has impressed me far more than it should have. It is a testament to what Cold Steel was capable of when they were firing on all cylinders, much in the same way as the AD10 and AD15 are, just a truly "nice knife". Exceptional for the money.

[Sometimes I would put "The Bad" here, but there is nothing in my opinion that is truly bad about this knife, so there you go!]

Minor Nitpicks:

- Design: This one is a bit of a tossup, because objectively speaking, this is an EDC knife that's designed to look like a hunting knife. It's thick in the pocket thanks to the 3D design of its scales (you'll see in the pictures), and its three and a half inch blade definitely reads more EDC than "hunter". If they had made an XL version of this, it probably would have sold like gangbusters, because A. CS fans do love their XL folders, and B. I think that would have been a better choice if they truly wanted a folding hunting knife. A four inch blade would have been awesome on this knife.

- Smoothness: So, no way around it. This knife is smooth. It's not quite Code4, bare slab scales smooth, but it's definitely smoother than other knives in G10 (or micarta) that are on the market. That said, it DOES help this knife slide in and out of your pocket. The G10 does have some very minor texture, but I'm not sure how it would do if my hands were wet.

- Blade Thickness: This blade is somewhat on the thicker side, like most Cold Steel folders, so this should be no surprise. As long as you don't purchase this, thinking you're going to get a Spyderco PM2, you'll be fine. This knife will handle whatever you throw at it otherwise, but "slicy"...probably not. -

- Siiighhhh...The Name: Yep, it's a Cold Steel, so that means that you get the name in a dated font on one side, and the usual info on the other. The name...well, it's not my favorite. A small gripe!

- Mechanical Function: So, it's a Tri-Ad lock knife. You know what you're in for. You're in for a break-in period, no way around it. The knife is pretty tight right out of the box, and you'll need to cycle the knife a couple hundred times before it starts to smooth out a little. Mine is still breaking in. Also, given that this knife's lock is so stiff, one handed closing means you have to depress the lock, then reposition your fingers and then fold it closed with your thumb or against your leg. There's no drop-shut action here. However, it also means that when open, the knife is dead solid feeling, no give anywhere.

Other than that, I really cannot fault anything on this knife. After seeing pictures, I always knew I'd be "good" with it, I just didn't expect that I'd enjoy it this much. I highly recommend this knife, and I think one day we're going to look back on these knives as being some of Cold Steel's best. Now then! Let's close out with some pictures!!

g1NVpKr.jpg

WaQNHcj.jpg

A close-up of the G10 scales:

ow4ItEp.jpg

Check out these curves! Also note how that incurve area makes it a lot easier to get this knife into a pocket with a heavy hem, like work pants or thick jeans:

gsKet57.jpg

Lastly, a closeup of the Demko thumb plate:

3IgDAeZ.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, hope it helped you guys out!

Last edited:
Great job! I've always found this knife attractive, just never thought about getting it. Going to have to rectify this soon. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!

James

Thanks for the review! I just happen to have one of these inbound in the mail, so it's very timely!

Thanks guys , good reviews . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

With the future so uncertain for CS , this might be a good one to grab while you can . Great value for ~$100 .

For my medium hands , the handle is perfectly ergonomic . Nice and thick for extended hard work .

Thick handle but short and compact for such a hard use folder .

Lock broke in easy , nice and smooth . Although not drop shut like AD10 .

The clip came very usable (unlike some CS folders) , and works fine with the shape of the handle .

Last edited:
Interesting. Cold Steel recycled some of their names for knives. I have a Bush Ranger from the early 2000's, it's a thin bowie that I like quite a bit. I'll check this one out, thanks!

Very nice review.
The Bush Ranger was one of two knives I had been on the fence about for a while, that I bought when the news of the CS sale came. The reason for my hesitation was a question of whether the BR would be as good an edc as my Lawman. After getting it, I am also impressed by the same favorable features you mentioned. But I still prefer the Lawman for edc.
As a woods, outdoor knife, the Bush Ranger will be very good. In that role, again, CS already had an excellent knife in its lineup. The Ultimate Hunter. Do I like the BR as much as the UH? No, but I m still glad I got one while I could.

Last edited:
Thinking about picking one of these up, as I've been looking at them for a while now. Thanks for the great review and pics and info. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent review, Quiet Quiet .

I haven't purchased a Cold Steel folder in several years but with the recent news, I've been considering getting a few of their higher end models to try out before whatever may happen, happens. I might put this one on the short list.

Nice review, thanks. All my CS folders and FBs have been top quality and good bang for the buck. I have some GSM gear and it's pretty good stuff, so I wouldn't worry about the quality of Cold Steel in future.

Back