Cold Steel Ranch Boss

eisman

Gold Member
A couple weeks ago I was working down in SoCal and being close to the Cold Steel showroom I had to stop by and visit. Along with the hundreds of sharp, pointy objects on display they had a Ranch Boss, first one I'd seen in person. I got to talking with the guy behind the counter, and he told me they still had "a few", so I figured, what the heck. When he told me they still had number 357 he made the sale. (I seriously considered 257 also, but couldn't buy two.)

c6lez4o.jpg

This is a Stockman pattern in modern CPM535 steel. I believe they were made by Canal Street, although I've also heard Queen mentioned. Since both companies are now defunct, that just adds to the appeal to me. It's fairly large, and not something I plan on carrying, but I thought you might be interested in seeing how it compares to some other makers in the same pattern. I chose some I could find, in as close to the same size as possible.

4iU43hN.jpg

What we have here are (L to R) a current production Case, the CS, a Kutmaster, a Puma, and a Schrade. As a teenager this was my preferred pattern (preferably Uncle Henry), but I've less use for the large clip these days. I have to say the shape of the Schrade clip is still my favorite of this bunch. I miss the California clips...

47OXtiD.jpg

Just looking at the Sheepsfoot blades I'm struck by just how nice the Cold Steel blade is. Its got good proportions, super clean, straight, lines, and a nice relief at the kick so you can get the whole blade straight and sharp. Only the Puma comes close.

KnzM5pH.jpg

The variety of Spey blades surprised me. And, again, I find the execution of the CS to be best of the bunch. This is a very well done knife, and at the asking retail price it needed to be.

Mq4sIyg.jpg

It's also a fairly big knife. I tried carrying the Case for a couple weeks earlier this year but found it too big for comfortable fit in my pocket. The Ranch Boss is the same size, and with the squared bolsters I fear it too would not be pocket friendly. Interestingly enough the blades are ground thinner than the Case, so it should be a really good cutter. (The Kutmaster, a three spring knife, is one of the slimmest in this bunch due to it's thinner blades.)

VhrVlFb.jpg

In sum, a really nice knife, from a unexpected source. Too expensive for the market, and fairly uncommon. Fit and finish to match anything short of a custom (and would give many of those a run for the money). Walk and talk were excellent with blade pull around 6-7 (to me).

This one punches a lot of my buttons: hard to find, well made, useful, unusual, uncommon materials, uncommon (and possibly extinct) maker. I believe it would have sold out quickly with a different company selling it, and a price point closer to what the distributors were selling it at four years ago.

UnsfjDJ.jpg

Thank You Very Much for this thread. A visual feast !
I liked that knife immediately the first time I laid eyes on it. There have been other knives "I had to have" first but I sure want a CS Ranch Boss !

Nice review! I have looked at these knives several times but the size always kept me away. The concept and materials were good, just a little large (and pricy) for me to actually use.

CPM S35VN is the blade alloy.

That's a nice set of stockman knives.

You made me go get my glasses...and right you are!

My error.

If I have one complaint about the knife, it's the high, sharp, joints on the blades. Still, it's too bad other makers haven't tried some of the newer steels. Or patterns with sunken joints...

I had one and agree with your review. Actually been thinking about getting another one.

Good write up & pictures
I really like the stockman pattern Have several Case medium' s & 5 calf ropers

The CS looked on paper & reviews I've seen a good one

The main draw back for me was the Price !

I like the size, but not the price. Happily, I like carbon steels as much as I like S35VN ...

Great review and pics, thanks for sharing. I love the Stockman pattern, it’s a handful of useful edges with it’s 3 blades.

I can see paying that much for a knife like this, just in that it is one of few traditional that use a true modern steel makes it kid of a unicorn. The case/bose collabs bring over twice what these do for a similar knife, Im just curious how the fit and finish compares. I think I could get on board with the price if it was a pattern I liked more, like a large jack on this same frame.

I can see paying that much for a knife like this, just in that it is one of few traditional that use a true modern steel makes it kid of a unicorn. The case/bose collabs bring over twice what these do for a similar knife, Im just curious how the fit and finish compares. I think I could get on board with the price if it was a pattern I liked more, like a large jack on this same frame.

F&F is worth about half what the case/bose collabs manage, judging by the one I had. It wasn’t perfect. But then again, it wasn’t be price those where either. Considering what you can get it for versus what you pay for a quality traditional in a lesser steel, versus what you get with a bose collab, the price you can get them for (not the msrp, mind you) is about right.

Fine bone, interesting steel and I like the shield. However, I don't go for high riding Sheepfoot, that puts me off any Stockman with it. Incidentally, what is the approx cost of these?

MSRP is 350$. You can find them for about 200$. They aren’t worth 350$. 200$ is about right.

They are limited. I think 650 or so where made.

600 made. Lynn kept the first 50. Employees bought 120. The rest went to distributors.

I was close lol.

It’s actually on my list to get another. But I also want the new case bose collab stockman and also trying to build the hot rod so hobby money is stretched thin.

Back