Cold Steel Recon 1 differences

DNK

I'm interested in picking up one of the discontinued Cold Steel Recon 1 folders. I don't like the the handle on the new 2010 models and suspect that the lack of steel liners means it's weaker than the previous version.

I've seen what seem to be several variations on the previous model (the one with the steel liners and five bolts). It looks like the blade shape on the Tanto changed slightly at one point and I've picked up from some bboards that they have used at least 3 different steels - 440A, AUS-8A and VG-1. I also think there were some made in Japan and some made in Taiwan. Can anyone provide, if not a definitive history, then at least a solid summary of the differences in the earlier Cold Steel Recon 1 folders? If able, I'd really like a chronology on when the changes occurred and how one can identify which variants are which. I'd also like to hear a few opinions on which variant you think is best and why. Unless there is an obsessive Recon 1 collector out there with one of everything, I think this might be a group project.

I'm interested in picking up one of the discontinued Cold Steel Recon 1 folders. I don't like the the handle on the new 2010 models and suspect that the lack of steel liners means it's weaker than the previous version.

I've seen what seem to be several variations on the previous model (the one with the steel liners and five bolts). It looks like the blade shape on the Tanto changed slightly at one point and I've picked up from some bboards that they have used at least 3 different steels - 440A, AUS-8A and VG-1. I also think there were some made in Japan and some made in Taiwan. Can anyone provide, if not a definitive history, then at least a solid summary of the differences in the earlier Cold Steel Recon 1 folders? If able, I'd really like a chronology on when the changes occurred and how one can identify which variants are which. I'd also like to hear a few opinions on which variant you think is best and why. Unless there is an obsessive Recon 1 collector out there with one of everything, I think this might be a group project.

The Recon 1 has only been made in one steel... Don't let anyone tell you different.

AUS-8A

The new 2010 model is the strongest, I have all 3 versions.

Last edited:
New one with G10 and Steel Liners on top.

Old one, 1st vers Made in Japan On bottom.

DSC_2997.JPG

Older one with G10 On top

New 2010 Model on Bottom

DSC_0580.JPG

I well gladly attest to the strength of the linerless model... This thing isn't going anywhere. And the handle is extremely comfortable.

i think the lockup on the 2010 model is a big improvement strength wise. i dont own either but if i was to get one id go with the 2010 model. nice to see them improve the strength and lighten the load in what seems to be one of the tougher heavy use folders out there.
im not a huge fan of aus8 but cold steel seems to do a good job of heat treating and my ti lite keeps a nice edge.

Welcome to Bladeforums DNK. I'm not sure where you received that information on the steels but it is incorrect and Ankerson already pointed out. I had the 2nd generation with the Ultra/Axis style lock. It was a decent knife for the price I paid. There is definite value there. I traded that knife for another and bought the 2010 version.
The newest version is absolutely the better of those 2 YMMV. There seems to be a fast spreading misconception about what G10 is and what it is capable of. Unfortunately many people take this misinformation as undisputed truth, and tend to tack on tidbots as it goes from one place to another. G10 is some of the toughest synthetic handle material short of aerospace grade carbon fiber. the ergonomics on the handle were done correctly for the 2010 model too. It's one of the best knife handle designs I've held.

You won't find a cheaper knife that can take the abuse the new ones do. You can pick one up for not much over 50 dollars if you shop around. The handle also feels better than the old ones did by far, IMO. I had a few CS knives and now I only have the Recon 1 in the new liner-less model and believe me it's the best yet for taking whatever you can dish out.

You won't find a cheaper knife that can take the abuse the new ones do. You can pick one up for not much over 50 dollars if you shop around. The handle also feels better than the old ones did by far, IMO. I had a few CS knives and now I only have the Recon 1 in the new liner-less model and believe me it's the best yet for taking whatever you can dish out.

Agreed! I owned the ultra-lock version and even with big hands, the butt would pop out of my hand when disengaging the not so smooth copy of the axis lock. A real boat anchor with the liners too. Had to sell it off.

I just got my 2010 version and the triad lock SNAPS shut on the blade and the handle is very grippy. Easy to manipulate, lightweight for it's size and super tough. Buy one! ;)

:thumbup::thumbup:

I have the older one with steel liners and 440a sub zero quenched blade made in taiwan. people keep saying it only comes in aus-8a but unless the videos that cold steel sends with their knives and the website I bought it at are wrong then i would like to know. If you check older posts about 5-6 years ago they all say 440 sub zero quenched.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618679&highlight=recon+440a

Last edited:

yea dude the new one is rock-solid, i dont know if u know but G10 is fiberglass soaked in resin then laminated together and baked at high heat. super tough and stable with wide and rapid temp change.

check out.....................:thumbup:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjfnRfyHAs4

skip the first 5 minutes, :jerkit: they don't really matter

I have the older one with steel liners and 440a sub zero quenched blade made in taiwan. people keep saying it only comes in aus-8a but unless the videos that cold steel sends with their knives and the website I bought it at are wrong then i would like to know. If you check older posts about 5-6 years ago they all say 440 sub zero quenched.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618679&highlight=recon+440a

They are wrong and it was confirmed by CS a few weeks ago that the Recon 1 was always made in AUS-8A and no other steel.

The only steel they advertised as Sub Zero Quench was 420.

If there are Recon 1's in 440A they aren't real, they are copies.

http://www.coldsteel.com/counterfeitreconi.html

recon1big.gif

Last edited:
They are wrong and it was confirmed by CS a few weeks ago that the Recon 1 was always made in AUS-8A and no other steel.

The only steel they advertised as Sub Zero Quench was 420.

If there are Recon 1's in 440A they aren't real, they are copies.

http://www.coldsteel.com/counterfeitreconi.html

recon1big.gif

:thumbup::thumbup:

To the OP I am one that carries the older model, it doesn't look as nice, doesn't have the great Tri-Ad lock up on and the blade wiggles laterally, with that said, it's a great knife, the Ultra lock is another rock solid design, the ergos are a little better, or maybe I am just more use to them, and I can flick that blade out quick.

I'm currently debating between the Recon1 and the AK47 as my new EDC. Going to retire my titanium ti-lite.

Thats good to know but why would Lynn Thompson advertise a lower quality
steel (440a) in his video when its acutally aus-8a. mabyee 440a subzero quenched sounds cooler?

Thats good to know but why would Lynn Thompson advertise a lower quality
steel (440a) in his video when its acutally aus-8a. mabyee 440a subzero quenched sounds cooler?

Do you have link to a video or a picture that illustrates what you're talking about? :)

Nevermind, I found a bunch of them advertised from Amazon right down the line. Apparently they're advrtising the ZYTEL handled version of the 1st Recon 1 with ultralock to have 440 A and then superceded by the G-10 with AUS8. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Do you have link to a video or a picture that illustrates what you're talking about? :)

Nevermind, I found a bunch of them advertised from Amazon right down the line. Apparently they're advrtising the ZYTEL handled version of the 1st Recon 1 with ultralock to have 440 A and then superceded by the G-10 with AUS8. :thumbup:

The ZYTEL handled vers was AUS-8A also.

Jim, I don't see a tang stamp on it? I honestly don't a clue or nickel riding on this debate but check out this link and what would you think?

Either there was a 440A model or all these websites posted the same copy from Cold Steel with an error in it.

It's a coin toss, because in the stuff I sell the manufacturer puts out a description and we all copy it, changing it around a bit in wording. It's intriguing though. :confused:

Check out this link. Funny? Information or disinformation? Here's another one.

Measurements: 9 1/3 inches overall, 4 inch blade
Clip Point Blade
Blades Constructed From 440A Sub Zero Quenched Stainless Steel
Durable Reinforced Heat Treated Liners
Available in Plain or Serrated Edge

Jim, I don't see a tang stamp on it? I honestly don't a clue or nickel riding on this debate but check out this link and what would you think?

Either there was a 440A model or all these websites posted the same copy from Cold Steel with an error in it.

It's a coin toss, because in the stuff I sell the manufacturer puts out a description and we all copy it, changing it around a bit in wording. It's intriguing though. :confused:

Check out this link. Funny? Information or disinformation? Here's another one.

Looks like bad infomation floating around.

The Recon 1 was never a cheap knife, when it came out it was their high end Folder.

It's cheaper now that it ever has been in the past.

Mine doesn't have a stamp on it, the Japan Made Knives didn't.

Mine is a 1st year release.

Back