Coldsteel Sold???

Well, feel free to disagree. But I suspect many more in the knife market agree with me. Enjoy your XL knives while you still can. I won’t miss it for sure. Sorry that hurts your feelings, give your XL knives a hug, you’ll feel better.
I don't think his feelings were hurt but he did ask you a question which you did not answer: What is the "tried and true formula" ?

I don't think his feelings were hurt but he did ask you a question which you did not answer: What is the "tried and true formula" ?
Don’t think you care about the answers, and I'm not engaging in this argument any further.

To close the loop: Tried and true formula = G-10 Triad Lock Folders with mid range(aus 8/10) to high end steel(xhp/s35vn), as opposed to 4034/1.4116 liner/backlock+secondary safety and plastic clip.

If you are interested to learn more, as opposed to just arguing, here’s a few threads:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2020-folder-lineup-honest-feedback-questions.1704032/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/1911-folder-initial-impressions.1721617/#post-19659381
[URL]https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/4116-vs-5cr15mov-vs-4034ss.1710775/
[/URL]

That’s really what i hoped for. CS took a bad turn in 2020 and started becoming Cold Steel Sword and Axe company.
I really hope they trimmed the stupid stuff, cut down on the XL niche products and start focusing on the tried and true formula.
One of my biggest criticism towards LCT is that he seems to just wanna make whatever he liked and I actually hoped for a better corporate governance on Lynn and that CS do a bit more market research.
This is one silver lining with this, assuming GSM would bring in more of the rigors on the market research and tone down all the loud BS(i.e. BROKEN SKULL!!! billboarding on blade). Of course they could always go the Gerber way, but we’ll see.
Cold Steels Niche was that they weren't like everybody else. Could they do better at that? Yes. But it seem like what you are asking is for them to be like every other knife company. Boring. And a sell out to a giant conglomerate is certainly the way to ensure they will be like everyone else. Boo.

They might make more money and sell more knives but so does SOG, Gerber, and CRKT. And you know what we think about them around these parts...

I thought Cold Steel's wackadoo line of products was their crown jewel. They made (well they had made for them) things you couldn't find other places at affordable prices that were still decent quality.

Their line of tomahawks, axes, swords, and all manner of zany products made for a fun diversion to what I found to be their more mundane products.

I tend to gravitate toward higher end pocket knives these days, but I am always in the market for a $40 piece of steel and wood i can throw around in my backyard.

I thought Cold Steel's wackadoo line of products was their crown jewel. They made (well they had made for them) things you couldn't find other places at affordable prices that were still decent quality.

Their line of tomahawks, axes, swords, and all manner of zany products made for a fun diversion to what I found to be their more mundane products.

I tend to gravitate toward higher end pocket knives these days, but I am always in the market for a $40 piece of steel and wood i can throw around in my backyard.
For about $40, the Kershaw Camp 10’s a pretty fun chopper.

Yes, I would like Cold Steel to be more like Spyderco and Benchmade, and I think they have things in their portfolio they could still differentiate in the market without being whacky(i.e. Triad Lock and Scorpion lock). I'm sure many people disagree, but that's my (unpopular) opinion and I think the company will do better with this direction.

Yes, I would like Cold Steel to be more like Spyderco and Benchmade, and I think they have things in their portfolio they could still differentiate in the market without being whacky(i.e. Triad Lock and Scorpion lock). I'm sure many people disagree, but that's my (unpopular) opinion and I think the company will do better with this direction.
I hope so.

Most of Cold Steel's customer base loves the variety of weird stuff and videos .

Lots of the haters won't buy CS in any case .

So much of the market is boring and repetitive , CS never was .

Much of the CS catalog , I don't want to buy but I love they exist and so fun to watch LT play with them . eg The Torpedo ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And I really appreciate my new Thai Machete / sword . Makes yard maintenance into a Zombie Extermination ! :rolleyes:

Those companies are family owned, not conglomerates. I wouldn't hold my breath.

No my feelings were definitely not hurt. I do wonder though why insty0 is on the Cold Steel forum. He doesn't seem to like anything Cold Steel is famous for. I guess he has big [ maybe I shouldn't use the word "big" in relation to a guy who is into the petite ] hopes that GSM will drag CS in line with all the other boring knife companies.

Most of Cold Steel's customer base loves the variety of weird stuff and videos .

Lots of the haters won't buy CS in any case .

So much of the market is boring and repetitive , CS never was .

Much of the CS catalog , I don't want to buy but I love they exist and so fun to watch LT play with them . eg The Torpedo ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And I really appreciate my new Thai Machete / sword . Makes yard maintenance into a Zombie Extermination ! :rolleyes:

Hey don't get me wrong, i enjoy watching all the whacky stuff. I probably watched every single one of the sword and axe testing video CS has ever come up with. Part of me hope that i can just carry a Chinese war sword around. I would love to setup a throwing range in my backyard for the shuriken and axe too.
But at the end of the day, when it comes to spending money, I buy boring. I only buy things i can use and carry. Something i can put in my pocket when i go out. I think it's important for company to be able to do fun and whacky stuff, and I think CS can do these better if their company is healthy and is earning a lot of money.

No my feelings were definitely not hurt. I do wonder though why insty0 is on the Cold Steel forum. He doesn't seem to like anything Cold Steel is famous for. I guess he has big [ maybe I shouldn't use the word "big" in relation to a guy who is into the petite ] hopes that GSM will drag CS in line with all the other boring knife companies.

@Larry - I really don't think us CS fans should be fighting amongst ourselves at this time. I know you wanna argue with me whenever I expressed my desire for CS to produce more Normal(f--king keyword right here dude) sized knives, but we just gonna have to agree to disagree here. You have your preference, i have mine, and we don't need to change our preferences.

People who hangout in this forum or know me on Instagram(@niobiumcarbide) probably know that I'm one of the biggest CS fans. I literally have one or multiple of every single folder CS had ever made since 2010 that has a 4" or less blade(yes I'll never buy XL folder that i don't use or carry). I have about 2 Pelican 1550 worth of CS folders, which is around 120. My point is, CS sure has a lot of well known XL knives, but they also has a lot of other things they are famous for.

You like their XL knives, great. I like Normal sized knives, and I hope they make more of them. We may like different sides of CS and have different wishes, but it's important to keep in mind that we both like CS, and have as much right to be on this forums. So keep that in mind when we attack other people's preference next time.

Here's a few of my favorite "petite" "tiny" and "boring" knives to close this off:
72682689_951501145219591_8025668803555938600_n.jpg

130807450_405593387342245_5865692313678728682_n.jpg

121408913_777090409504634_694336735315790479_n.jpg

118982622_349750653071349_6662891854280771118_n.jpg

77377956_2869790756364621_2380223680036781477_n.jpg

66464156_722096781567703_1560986813320174619_n.jpg

what we don't need is more of 3.5" and 3.25" and even smaller folders. the market is absolutely saturated with them. a couple of them is great, but one thing I always liked cold steel was for their larger folders with tri ad locks.

Sure but they are not Cold Steel. I would say that we need more of 3.5" and 3.25" from CS, but i would be speaking for myself. This just shows that the market is diverse and everyone has their need, and it's not up to anyone to define what other people need. At the end of the day it's up to CS/GSM to decide what part of the market they want cover - big, medium, small knives with high, medium, low prices based on the market needs. Identify your market and make what your customers need and you'll be successful.

I insta9ves I am with you and I like your collection of CS folders. XL CS folders are fun to fondle, for a while. After that, I'd lose my interest in them quickly as they are awkward to carry and not practical for use. Too large a folder with the strong tri ad lock is also not very easy/safe to one-hand open. My sweet spot with CS folder is in the 3.5"-4" blade length range. While most other companies also focus on this range, I still feel CS has its market: its knives are strong, safe to operate, with great steels, and mostly budget friendly. Recon 1 is perhaps my most favorite CS folder. I just ordered AD-10, AD-15, and 4-Max Scout. Will see how they hold up to the fame. I might also grab a Code 4, a large Voyager, another Recon 1 (tanto?), and American Lawman (if I can find one with a reasonable price).

I insta9ves I am with you and I like your collection of CS folders. XL CS folders are fun to fondle, for a while. After that, I'd lose my interest in them quickly as they are awkward to carry and not practical for use. Too large a folder with the strong tri ad lock is also not very easy/safe to one-hand open. My sweet spot with CS folder is in the 3.5"-4" blade length range. While most other companies also focus on this range, I still feel CS has its market: its knives are strong, safe to operate, with great steels, and mostly budget friendly. Recon 1 is perhaps my most favorite CS folder. I just ordered AD-10, AD-15, and 4-Max Scout. Will see how they hold up to the fame. I might also grab a Code 4, a large Voyager, another Recon 1 (tanto?), and American Lawman (if I can find one with a reasonable price).

Nice hope you like the new knives, they might become collectibles depending on where things go. There's a reason why the most popular knives in the market are in this size range - Paramiliary 2, Manix 2, Hinderer XM18, Griptilian, Sebenza, Umnumzaan, ZT0562, Kershaw Blur, Rat 1, Buck 110, Emerson CQC7 & etc. Because this is the goldilock zones for most people. It's as you said, Cold Steel has a unique offering here with its Triad lock, high strength to weigh ratio and superb value.

I've been thinking about getting another Recon 1, probably spear point. CS recently updated their Recon 1 with smoother scale just a few months ago, been wanting to try it out. You should really get a Code 4 while it's still cheap, i've seen it for as low as $49 from time to time, if you browse around. I also wanna get another Lawman as backup but it's sold out everywhere and the retailers that are still selling it are charging >$100 for it. I used to be able to get the S35VN lawman for less than $80. If you find something you like, definitely get it before it's too late.

@Larry - I really don't think us CS fans should be fighting amongst ourselves at this time. I know you wanna argue with me whenever I expressed my desire for CS to produce more Normal(f--king keyword right here dude) sized knives, but we just gonna have to agree to disagree here. You have your preference, i have mine, and we don't need to change our preferences.

People who hangout in this forum or know me on Instagram(@niobiumcarbide) probably know that I'm one of the biggest CS fans. I literally have one or multiple of every single folder CS had ever made since 2010 that has a 4" or less blade(yes I'll never buy XL folder that i don't use or carry). I have about 2 Pelican 1550 worth of CS folders, which is around 120. My point is, CS sure has a lot of well known XL knives, but they also has a lot of other things they are famous for.

You like their XL knives, great. I like Normal sized knives, and I hope they make more of them. We may like different sides of CS and have different wishes, but it's important to keep in mind that we both like CS, and have as much right to be on this forums. So keep that in mind when we attack other people's preference next time.

Here's a few of my favorite "petite" "tiny" and "boring" knives to close this off:
72682689_951501145219591_8025668803555938600_n.jpg

130807450_405593387342245_5865692313678728682_n.jpg

121408913_777090409504634_694336735315790479_n.jpg

118982622_349750653071349_6662891854280771118_n.jpg

77377956_2869790756364621_2380223680036781477_n.jpg

66464156_722096781567703_1560986813320174619_n.jpg
There are two American Lawman that appear to have black coated blades and black handles. Is there a difference that I’m just not seeing? Is that the 2 different versions with different steels?

There are two American Lawman that appear to have black coated blades and black handles. Is there a difference that I’m just not seeing? Is that the 2 different versions with different steels?
The one on the left is XHP steel with hollow grind blade that’s circa 2015. The one on the right is S35VN with flat grind which is the latest version which is produced in 2019, the only version you can buy now. They switched to new steel and grind last year.

Interesting conversation about the practical vs. XL and weird stuff...

I've always enjoyed Cold Steel and their XL knives and crazy weapons but I never bought any of them. When I started noticing very positive reviews talking about the excellent value of CS's more practical knives, and seeing some nicer knives (AD-10, for example) that could compete head-to-head with the more popular EDC brands, I decided to try a few.

I was very impressed with the knives i tried (all three of the Recon 1 offerings, the AD-10, 4 Max Scout, Pocket Bushman) and just as I got interested in also picking up a few of the bigger knives just for fun, the sale happened.

I usually only purchase knives that I'll carry and use, but I was starting to get drawn toward the XL and crazy stuff somehow!

Last edited:
I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I was a mid-range production knife “snob” that turned my nose up at CS because of the antics thought they were knives for weirdos with sword fetishes.

I had plenty of Spydercos and Benchmade and that sort but was never interested in CS. I didn’t hate. I just never considered them.

Then the Aussie YouTuber Cedric and Ada that does the edge retention tests was always going on about how good the American Lawman was. So I picked up a LNIB American Lawman in CTS-XHP and liked it a lot. That led to a Recon 1, which I thought was absurdly big at first. Eventually I started carrying it and realizing it wasn’t that big. I added a Snaggletooth wave and now it’s my favorite knife and paid relatively little for it. Since then,I’ve added a few CS fixed blades and even went to the parking lot sale where I got a hatchet and a few other little cheap knives. So I’m a bit of a fanboy now.

I’d like to see CS offer the most popular knives in a wide range of steels, like Spyderco offers the PM2 in all about any steel you could hope for.

Regarding the sale - LT didn’t look healthy when I saw him. Bad hip/leg, overweight, etc. While I worry about what the new company will do to CS, we have to agree that LT has earned the right to cash out and relax a bit.

Back