Coldsteel Sold???

The response to my questions has been amazing, thank you. I think the main thing is we need awareness. I believe the shop didn't even know.

My sis-in-law is home in CO now. Can anyone recommend a good online shop to buy from, or should I buy directly from the Cold Steel site?

The response to my questions has been amazing, thank you. I think the main thing is we need awareness. I believe the shop didn't even know.

My sis-in-law is home in CO now. Can anyone recommend a good online shop to buy from, or should I buy directly from the Cold Steel site?
Knifecenter
Knifeworks
DLT Trading
New Graham Knives
-just a few with a good reputation…but please double check the return policy for whomever you go with. Some charge a restocking fee should you return an item. Good Luck.
On a side note, I hope CS reintroduces the Mini Bushman (hint, hint)

Last edited:
It should be welded and nearly seamlessly so that it's smooth .

Unless they've changed this , it's a serious manufacturing flaw even if genuine .

I would most definitely return it and find one that's properly made as well as genuine . YMMV . ;)
Just to confuse the issue , I do believe that some older models were possibly not welded , IIRC . :confused:

If steel quality and wall thickness is the same , properly welded version would certainly be much stronger .

Just to confuse the issue , I do believe that some older models were possibly not welded , IIRC . :confused:

If steel quality and wall thickness is the same , properly welded version would certainly be much stronger .
Also if Seam is welded shut, you can use the handle for storage by plugging both ends….converting it into a great budget survival knife.

You might be right. I have a very old bushman and if I remember correctly it is not welded. I can take a pic of it so you can see if you wish.

At this point, it's quite clear the seam should be welded if it is authentic. The lady at Cold Steel also says the logo should be the same as the logo on the sheath, if I read into what she says correctly. It shouldn't be the crooked logo, as shown:
Logo.jpg

Here's the interesting thing, however. Yesterday I decided to chop up some dry wood for my fire. It was about 1.5" - 2" thick dry mulberry branches, and I hacked away. The knife stood up to the abuse without much change to the blade, and it then continued to slice my biltong quite easily. Absolutely no edge marring at all. I don't think wood poses much threat, but I was still impressed. My cheap Kershaw EDC would have done precisely the same, but I would expect that. The Bushman in question did take a small fall onto concrete, leaving the concrete perfectly un-marred, but the blade edge did take a few tiny chips.

I've measured the knife too - the blade is 2.55mm thick, and it weighs 275g on my scale I use to measure out hops for small beer batches (9.8oz is 278g, I believe).

I do notice that the bevel is a single grind. I believe the original has a double-bevel. FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades is this still true?

At this point, it's quite clear the seam should be welded if it is authentic. The lady at Cold Steel also says the logo should be the same as the logo on the sheath, if I read into what she says correctly. It shouldn't be the crooked logo, as shown:
Logo.jpg

Here's the interesting thing, however. Yesterday I decided to chop up some dry wood for my fire. It was about 1.5" - 2" thick dry mulberry branches, and I hacked away. The knife stood up to the abuse without much change to the blade, and it then continued to slice my biltong quite easily. Absolutely no edge marring at all. I don't think wood poses much threat, but I was still impressed. My cheap Kershaw EDC would have done precisely the same, but I would expect that. The Bushman in question did take a small fall onto concrete, leaving the concrete perfectly un-marred, but the blade edge did take a few tiny chips.

I've measured the knife too - the blade is 2.55mm thick, and it weighs 275g on my scale I use to measure out hops for small beer batches (9.8oz is 278g, I believe).

I do notice that the bevel is a single grind. I believe the original has a double-bevel. FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades is this still true?
Again, I can't speak to what the current production is like, but the originals up until at least the generation of Bushman I have on hand all had a hollow saber grind with a secondary bevel at the edge.

I just checked a Bushman and Bushman Bowie, both purchased somewhat recently from extremely reputable, well known and well respected vendors who surely are selling legitimate product (I'll refrain from naming them as to not violate any forum rules). Both style Bushmans came sealed plastic sleeve, further wrapped in brown paper, inside a standard yet less ornate (no gloss pic of Bushman on front) box. If I recall correctly both had the abbreviated Cold Steel (CS) style logo on the front. Both came with Secure-Ex sheathes and ferro rod. Both have unwelded seams on the handle. The way Cold Steel switches steels, grinds etc. on many of their knives, I have no doubt that you will find variation in the less expensive, chinese made knives like the Bushman.

Just thought of something, perhaps the Bushman models are being manufactured at more than one factory. Could explain open vs closed seam variation. I would still personally prefer the welded (closed) seam.

So I bought two of these, and they have been delivered. I haven't seen them yet, but I truly am hoping for the double-bevel, and a solid handle. If it's not welded, and a single bevel, I will still enjoy much use of the knife.

I think enough has been said on what these should look like, and I think sean2021 has likely hit the nail on the head.

I would just like to say that so far, the one I have has been extremely awesome. What a brilliant knife design. Let's hope Cold Steel has a strong and bright future doing what they have done previously.

These started off with open seams. After some number of years they changed to all welded seams. It appears they have gone back unannounced to unwelded seams. I don’t think this is anything other than a tiny cost saving move by the new owners, like no longer providing left side pocket clips for knives clearly designed to use them.

Edit to add: fwiw, my un-welded BM has held up to some hard use just fine, though I have never made a spear of it or tried to use the handle for storage. Those that do might appreciate the closed seam versions.

Last edited:
I received my knives (bought in USA from reputable shop recommended to me). They're almost identical to the one I already had (the bevel was slightly longer on one). Cold Steel have definitely gone back to open seam on this. Fine with me, I would just appreciate a more informed customer service, specifically because Cold Steel says that if the knife looks different, query the authenticity.

The original one I had made its way through a few dry branches, was dropped on concrete, and held up to everyday use. After all that, it still sliced through tomato without effort (all on the original edge). The new one I got wasn't sharp enough, so I spent a long time trying to sharpen it. The edge wasn't even, so it took a while, but I eventually got it acceptable at 25 degrees. Uneven edge = more cost saving? I'll have to work on this edge to get it perfectly clean.

I hope Cold Steel can turn this crap around. There's a good reason one buys a Cold Steel knife. I firmly believe in getting the basics right, and if you're not doing the cheaper knives properly, must I fork out for a more expensive model, or go to another brand?

Back