collection after you can't collect

I won't care what happens to most of them, but I'll want to be buried with whatever happens to be my favorite at the time, clipped in my pocket:cool:

Or I could go the Ron Swanson route:D

4FAl0MW.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure most of you have seen the saying that "my biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her they cost"

That is my fear on my knives and my knives!

Hahahaha! This is me all over brother!

I don't have all that many but what I have do have some strong sentimental value to me including the Case knife I've carried since I was 12. (now64) But they'll go to a fine home with my son "payton206" who has a better collection than I'll ever have. I guess he might get the ZT 0454 that comes tomorrow but hopefully not too soon. :)

Collecting, by nature, is very selfish unless you start a museum or something. I collect for me, but I'm still young (30) and my kids are very young (4 years and 10 months) to really be considering what should go where when I'm gone. I'm sure some things will just seem to 'belong' somewhere eventually.

Here is a question to all those who collect for their kids. What if the kids don't want em? I have been through the process of clearing out multiple estate "collections" and it can get pretty overwhelming. Not to mention insanely time consuming and costly.

You might be saddling your kids with sentimental clutter. Stuff that is too good to throw away and with an uncertain resale value. Or worse, stuff that is just too sentimental to part with. Have you got any idea what storage and transport costs these days.... The logistical burden of previous generations accumulated clutter isn't getting any easier you know. :D

lots of people said:
to my kids
eEgWbhu.jpg

I am buying fewer, but better knives these days. When I no longer need them they will go to people I think have a use for them. Realistically a lot of them will end up at recycling centers or landfills.

I'm still middle-aged, but I expect my boys will take what they want and the rest will be sold. I've spent enough that my wife has asked me to make a spreadsheet with an accounting of what I paid, and when, so that she would have some hope of knowing what they might be worth if I wasn't around to look after them. I think that's a good idea, but I haven't done it yet.

You might be saddling your kids with sentimental clutter. Stuff that is too good to throw away and with an uncertain resale value.

Tough. Although I will pass the stuff to them, I don't collect for them. Two different things IMO. I certainly won't stop collecting just because I worry that they'll be burdened. If they are too busy, lazy, or otherwise unresourceful to extract value from the belongings that I pass to them, then that's their problem and more power to the patrons of my estate sale - I guess they'll be getting some sweet deals.

That said, I do think it's a bit odd when I'll see a photo of a newborn baby with a new knife or watch, with the proud parent posting "I just bought this to pass to my kid." To me that doesn't make any sense. What if they have no interest? What if they do, but don't like that choice? To me this just feels like a poor rationalization for the parent to buy something that *they* want.

Last edited:
Pass it on to my 2 sons and hope they put it all to good use. That being said... If I buy what I want when I want (with respect to my family naturally) why would I care what happens to it when I am dead? What would constitute good use in terms of what my sons did with all my stuff? Whatever makes them happy.

Hopefully I'll be able to pass most of them on to my 2 sons, wife, and friends before I die.

One will get placed at the spot I proposed to my wife on one of my favorite hiking trails.
Another will be placed at my old Army unit's memorial where my ashes will be scattered.

Any left over my family can do with as they will.

Get cremated and put your favorite knife with the ashes in the back yard. That way someone will eventually find them with a metal detector. If not, who cares.

Hopefully I'll have enough time to set a select few aside for my children, and after that, I'd like them all to be sold off individually and pay for my grand children's college(Might have to throw a couple of my watches in to afford it if I have more than 2 grand kids).

All of us who don't know, and especially those of us who don't care, should put them in a pool for the rest of us to split up by lottery every time one of us dies. My wife and I have fairly separate finances so she would loose it if she realized what is in the safe! ... and we don't want to burden our wives and loved ones, right? and I will "turn over in my grave" when she hands them out to nondeserving pagans who don't appreciate the difference between a Ginsu (sp?) and a custom Hinderer.

All joking aside, everything is going to my sister and her husband.

Pass them on to me.... I cant believe I am the first to say that. But seriously they should go to a boyscout troop or some charity that will appreciate them

Back