Collector Or Accumulator?

Just wondering how you all consider yourselves with your knife hobby?
Are you like myself? Just accumulating whatever knife catches your eye at the moment, or do you actually have a plan as to what you are trying to accomplish? All knives of a given pattern, year, handle material, blade type etc...
Interested in reading your replies and hopefully seeing some pics!

I'm a user and accumulator. I have eclectic tastes, so I buy what catches my eye. I have no interest in getting every single barlow ever made, or composing a collection from all the different Mora companies, or whatever. I'm just a guy who has always liked knives and has picked up a fair few over the years. Others can play museum curator, it's not for me.

I have a very narrow focus ... 95% of what I have are post 1970 Case's in maybe a dozen patterns that I've learned through much buying and selling that I prefer (no exact duplicates). Everything I have is in good shape with full blades and good to above average snap - no stinkers in the bunch ... those that have passed the test and I hold onto are my all star team. I use them all - no safe queens. Lesser examples with flaws are always re-sold to fund the accumulating. There you have it ... I guess I'm an accumulator after all, who knew

I buy what I like. It's for my enjoyment, not anyone else's, so I'm ok with it.

My folks have been in the auction business my entire life. I've seen lots of "collections" sold. Don't anyone kid yourself that someone else will value any single thing you own as much as you do, much less a number of things you own. Collect knives because you enjoy it, period. Anything beyond that is wasted time/money/effort.

I buy what I like. It's for my enjoyment, not anyone else's, so I'm ok with it.

My folks have been in the auction business my entire life. I've seen lots of "collections" sold. Don't anyone kid yourself that someone else will value any single thing you own as much as you do, much less a number of things you own. Collect knives because you enjoy it, period. Anything beyond that is wasted time/money/effort.
I tend to agree with what you are saying here. Part of me would really like to have one of each type of the GEC Pembertons that have rolled off the line, and I do tend to try and buy the next one I don't have. For the most part though it seems another "must have" knife crosses my path that I just have to have more, and then it's on to another thing. :)

I'm a user/ recovering accumulator (hoarder). Back in the tactical practical accumulation (hoarder) phase between '80 and '18, I had multiple copies of knives in multiple prep bags, vehicle bags, shelter-in-place bags...

Too. Much. Stuff.

Working on down-sizing my life so my stuff doesn't own me anymore.

As with many things the last few years, I've been buying knives that either fill a need (kitchen) or want (traditional/ modern traditional).

And I'm working to keep the numbers down this time. Chef knife, Santoku, utility knife, paring knife. Maybe a set of decent steak knives. Trying to stay at 7 or 8 folders and two fixed blades. Not counting SAKs or the handful of knives I'm keeping for military memorabilia/ nostalgia.

It's a work in progress, and what I have will change as I work through what I like best.

User, accumulator, hoarder here...unabashedly. I used to think of myself as a collector until I became aware of some folks here and also in the Buck forum. I began to realize that true collectors seem to have a focus, whether it be to acquire every iteration of a particular model, MFG., type of knife whatever, they seem to have a focus. A collection in my minds eye has a theme. I'm just a life long knife knut, been one since childhood and still loving it.

I accumulate grocery bags, newspapers, shoe boxes. Things I will have use for, but not that I particularly enjoy having.

I have a collection of knives. I really enjoy owning and acquiring them. A portion of my collection is specifically focused on Eureka patterns. The rest of my collection is rather eclectic, and comprised of whatever strikes my fancy. Many within my collection are knives that I use.

I just buy whatever catches my eye and that I can see myself carrying. Even if I win that 1 out of 2 GEC raffle I'll carry it ( but I'll also baby it and keep pl it nice)

No SAFE ! Somebody is always home at my house. My guns are loaded and ready for action. As soon as a new knifes arrives , it gets cleaned and oil flushed. I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. I love to give a knife away to the deserving. I like Solingen and USA made knives. "Buy American or starve !" The more you use a knife , the better it looks. I am not very good at sharpening knives , but I don't stop trying. I need to start watching more YouTube videos. I buy so many new CASE XX & GEC knives , I can always find a sharp knife on hand.

Last edited:
No SAFE ! Somebody is always home at my house. My guns are loaded and ready for action. As soon as a new knife arrives , it gets cleaned and oil flushed. I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. I love to give a knife away to the deserving. I like Solingen and USA made knives. "Buy American or starve !" The more you use a knife , the better it looks. I am not very good at sharpening knives , but I don't stop trying. I need to start watching more YouTube videos. I buy so many new CASE XX & GEC knives , I can always find a sharp knife on hand.

My handle sort of gives it away. I have considered myself an accumulator for decades. I buy almost nothing except folders, fixed blades, food choppers, industrial knives, bayonets, sabers, axes, hatchets, brush hooks, adzes, farrier's knives, vegetable peelers, lancets, fleams, multitools, chisels, and I'm sure there's something I've forgotten. And I almost never sell anything. I buy things Iike, things that are underpriced, unusual or unique, and especially things that are very old. Am I a hoarder? I don't think so, but don't ask my wife! I hate paying lots of money for something that was made to be a collectable; I love paying a small amount for something that was intended to be used but survived for decades or centuries with little or no wear or damage. And if I can look it up and read about it, that makes it all the more fun. To each his own...I know I'm having fun. Hope y'all are too! T-A

I'm a bit of a mix...
I mostly have "users" and like a variety to switch things up.
I have a few small collections but they are not a priority and it's a very small number.
I have accumulated all the GEC patterns that I like, sold the ones I don't, and don't have more than one or two of the same model.
I have also accumulated all the Case patterns that I like and I usually gift the ones that don't work for me.
I have a small collection of Boys/Souvenir Knives and Old Timer Knives.
There's no real focus other than I try a knife and if I like it I'll keep it.
Only two knives in the safe, but mostly for sentimental reasons rather than value.

Back