Collins and Co - Manufacturing Thread

I went to take a look at an antique shop recently opened at the Collins Co

Some pictures of what I found in the Collins Co factory building now antique conglomerate.
The two story factory contains a multitude of dealers and requires more than the 45 minutes i had to properly walk thru.
I will be returning and will try to get a few interior shots of the old factory that may be of interest.

https://imgur.com/gallery/h1inr

I will also head into the Historical Museum in the new year most likely. More Collins legacy on display...more pictures if allowed:thumbsup:
How much was bench vise? Cannot see: does it have quick release?

Anyone have any idea what years the red knight boys axes were made?

I don't know about the range of dates, but "Red Knight" is listed as a Collins brand in this 1945 publication:

content

Hardware Age, Volume 156, Issues 1-6, David Williams Company, 1945, page 10

I went up to the Collins Factory yesterday, poking around to see if anything new had circulated in since my last visit.
Nothing new but a few things had been sold. I did take a couple pictures for those that may be interested.

20171222_110252.jpg

20171222_113105.jpg

20171222_113037.jpg

20171222_113046.jpg

20171222_110244.jpg

I will head back again after Christmas. One of the dealers i met there txted me this morning about two broad axe/hatchets he just aquired, one a Collins he thinks is from prior 1900.
He couldn't send a picture, he said...
I thanked him and told him I look forward to taking a look after Christmas ;)

-Miller

One of the dealers i met there txted me this morning about two broad axe/hatchets he just aquired, one a Collins he thinks is from prior 1900.

Everyone likes to claim this. Place no value on the claim. Only on hard evidence. An inserted rather than overlaid bit would suggest age. A body clearly made of wrought iron would be great evidence.

I went up to the Collins Factory yesterday, poking around to see if anything new had circulated in since my last visit.
Nothing new but a few things had been sold. I did take a couple pictures for those that may be interested.

20171222_110252.jpg

20171222_113105.jpg

20171222_113037.jpg

20171222_113046.jpg

20171222_110244.jpg

I will head back again after Christmas. One of the dealers i met there txted me this morning about two broad axe/hatchets he just aquired, one a Collins he thinks is from prior 1900.
He couldn't send a picture, he said...
I thanked him and told him I look forward to taking a look after Christmas ;)

-Miller
might be doing the same thing with the kelly factory in charleston in a few years. we dont go into WV that often but charleston is only about an hour from my relatives

Everyone likes to claim this. Place no value on the claim. Only on hard evidence. An inserted rather than overlaid bit would suggest age. A body clearly made of wrought iron would be great evidence.

Thank you square_peg, great advice and what to look for. When I get there I will take a good look and if i can take some pictures to show it here. I know I have read a lot here in different threads about the inserted and overlayed bit processes...I will have to find them

might be doing the same thing with the kelly factory in charleston in a few years. we dont go into WV that often but charleston is only about an hour from my relatives

Great idea! Sounds like a good trip to take your time and hit every yard and garage sale as you drive closer to the factory ;)

[spam removed]
The old one (presuming it to be a Collins from the previous century) was at least rebuildable and/or modifiable whereas a Fiskars (with it's integral and hollow plastic handle) becomes scrap as soon as something goes wrong. Even your link to the bestoutdooritems review admits that they're 'fragile'. The review didn't mention that 'cold and clammy' is a common feature of plastic or composite handles, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
[spam removed]

That's not what you need.

The steel on these is soft, the geometry is not that great, and the handles have no soul.

You should definitely check out council tools or go vintage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps sending traffic to a linked site was the whole point of that first-time post having generic praise about an "article" (?) and a link unrelated to the Collins & Co subject of this thread? Just wondering.

Your perception of the post matches that of the moderation staff.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Screenshot_20180327-211544_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180327-211624_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180327-211517_Chrome.jpg

Morning coffee fellow drinkers
This is being offered for sale an hour south of me. He says it is stamped not a paper label.
I have never seen this stamp before, thought it would be good to share the pictures.

Wow! Obviously the facility where this fire axe was stored for many decades (century perhaps?) never required it's use! Is there a Collins stamp and crown/arm&hammer motif on it somewhere?

Sadly after initiating a discussion last night with the seller and him so far as telling me a price "and its yours"...I agreed and he then pulls the old, I gotta guy coming at 4p but if he passes I will let you know BS! Plus he wanted a PayPal deposit at the end too...
F THAT GUY.

Beautiful axe though, would have looked good on my dad's mantle.

300six.
I asked him multiple times, in different context to show or better explain the stamp. Best I got was the one word STAMPED and he thinks it has the crown and hammer.

I have my red flags about this guy, but was willing to risk for the axe...Up to a point.

300six.
I asked him multiple times, in different context to show or better explain the stamp. Best I got was the one word STAMPED and he thinks it has the crown and hammer.

I have my red flags about this guy, but was willing to risk for the axe...Up to a point.
It definitely is an unused implement but Collins itself publically warned buyers (and pursued counterfeiters in the courts) against buying knock-offs that incorporated some version of Collin, Collin's etc or Legitimus stamps on goods. Who knows; this axe may have been European or even Asian-made.

It definitely is an unused implement but Collins itself publically warned buyers (and pursued counterfeiters in the courts) against buying knock-offs that incorporated some version of Collin, Collin's etc or Legitimus stamps on goods. Who knows; this axe may have been European or even Asian-made.

300six.
Funny really. I mentioned my suscpision of just that last night in a conversation with a friend.
For the very reason and examples why you mention. An axe like that should sell itself, hence my inquiry...I don't need to be chased by text nor told to make a paypal deposit. If it was all on the up, or he simply a more ethical seller, I would have that axe now posting pictures to show you and the forum, and he would have my cash in his pocket.

Thanks

Back