Combat Abrasives?? Preferred Abrasives??

Have any of you folks had the chance try products from either of these two companies? I have tried searching with little results. Most accounts seem to be favorable, but seeing as how most of these accounts were acquired via instagram I was wondering if any of you gents had first hand experience using these abrasives. Would be interesting to see how these stack up against 3M and Norton. Thank you in advance for your help.

Blessings,
Joshua

I just ordered belts from combat abrasives. They shipped pretty fast. Not sure if they're a new company, but they had ceramics at 20% off so I said what the heck.
Haven't used them yet, but some of the knifemakers I follow on IG gave their ceramics good marks. I think they're running another sale right now.

Josh, Preferred is located here in Ohio and they show up at blacksmithing events and hammer ins at my local blacksmith club. Good people and I have been happy with their ceramic and J-flex belts.

I haven't heard of combat until you posted this. It seems like belts are following grinders in that I'm hearing about a new supplier every couple of months.

-Clint

I just ordered belts from combat abrasives. They shipped pretty fast. Not sure if they're a new company, but they had ceramics at 20% off so I said what the heck.
Haven't used them yet, but some of the knifemakers I follow on IG gave their ceramics good marks. I think they're running another sale right now.
Thanks for the reply Josh. It certainly seems that with the additional discount the prices are relatively good. I too have seen several makers give good marks, however I have also seen other makers mention problems with QC. I am always a bit leery concerning Instagram as it seems there is a lot of "back scratching" and follow the leader type activity that occurs. Might have to just bite the bullet on this one and give them a shot myself. I hope the belts you picked up work well for you, its always nice having a broader selection of abrasives.

Josh, Preferred is located here in Ohio and they show up at blacksmithing events and hammer ins at my local blacksmith club. Good people and I have been happy with their ceramic and J-flex belts.

I haven't heard of combat until you posted this. It seems like belts are following grinders in that I'm hearing about a new supplier every couple of months.

-Clint

Clint, haha I agree in terms of new suppliers popping up all the time. It's great seeing new companies being able to grow along with this industry. If you don't mind my asking, how do you feel the Preferred brand stacks up to the big name brands? Appreciate the response brotha.

Blessings,
Joshua

I wish I could tell you. I've heard nothing but good things about Norton and 3M but when I look at the cost, about 10 bucks a pop with shipping factored in, it just makes me cringe the way I go through belts! I will try them eventually so I can make a judgement call myself, but so far when I grind and I don't feel like I need a better belt than what I have been using.

Preferred and the purple house brand ceramics that Supergrit carries are all I have used up to this point. Someone mentioned about a year ago they were going to try to come up with a standardized test and posts results using all the well know ceramics out there but I don't think he ever followed through with it. I would really like to see that if the test were truly objective.

If you have used the higher end belts and pick up some from Preferred I would like to hear your thoughts.

-Clint

I ordered some from combat abrasives just because I liked their web interface better than preferred. I have liked the ceramics so far. The black ones, I forget what type they are, were supposed to last pretty long but I felt they didn't outlast plain old AO that well. If I had to put the ceramics from combat abrasives up against the blaze belts, I think the blaze would come out on top just on lasting a lot longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh,

Have you tried the VSM belts that trugrit carries.

They are ceramic range from 36 grit to 120 grit are low priced but high performance.

They really are hard to beat

If you intend on ordering any belts other than 2x72 from Combat Abrasives I suggest calling them and getting estimated production time. I've been going back and forth with them for over 2 weeks on a small order of 4x36 belts that were supposed to "ship in the next two days" according the the rep I talked to on multiple occasions. I ordered them on 1/9/2017 and was told they would be shipping soon on the 17th when I called again and they'll still hadn't shipped when I called today the 24th. They didn't respond to any of the emails I sent via email reply and the website contact link. They couldn't give me a valid explanation as to why they had not been shipped after the standard three day production process. I most likely won't order from them again.

I have been using the green AO belts from Preferred in grits between 50-400X. They are labeled "AO/J Prem Plus". I think they are ok belts but I have not been impressed with their cutting or with how long they last.

A friend ordered from Combat because he figured for $1.00 a belt you couldn't go wrong. He said it took several weeks for them to show up and he had to call a few times before they shipped them. Didn't sound like he was going to order from them again. Most of the off-brand ceramics are all the same brand. The difference comes in how the company splices the belts. I've been using belts from Sean Ryan at Phoenix and couldn't be happier. The service and prices are great.

I just placed my first order with them on 1/11....as of today, the order is still processing. Sent an email last week and got the response that they are not a distributor, but a manufacturer and they make the belts at or prior to shipping. Response was timely, and the prices are good....maybe I just need to know their lead time for future orders, but first impression is disappointing...they have cost me time and I placed an order with another company and had to pay for expedited shipping. Look forward to seeing how the belts perform...hope I am happy and just need to factor in more time for an order.

Carter
C II Bladeworks

Josh,

Have you tried the VSM belts that trugrit carries.

They are ceramic range from 36 grit to 120 grit are low priced but high performance.

They really are hard to beat

+1 on the VSM ceramics from Trugrit you cannot beat their price they are as cheap as a AO belt but last longer

Hey guys thought i would jump in here as a few of you guys have some great remarks to say about us and a few of you don't (understandably so). Just wanted to give a bit of background - We are a manufacturer that have been making sanding belts, buffing wheels & buffing compound since the mid 90's. We are a family run family business and we thought it would be awesome to bring direct to the consumer pricing and save you guys the middle man price.

I must admit that the month of december we got super behind because we just got a huge amount of orders due to a video that we had which went viral with @ameribrade (they make machines). We are getting the problems fixed as far as lead times. We are now stocking ALL 2 X 72's in ceramics, aluminium oxide, silicon carbides and zirconias so they can all ship same or next day. I know you guys hate waiting for your belts so this is something we are trying to correct.

If our lead times screwed you up i really apologize on behalf of myself and Combat abrasives. Please give me a call and ask for myself (my name is Garrett) and i promise you we will hook you up with a discount. We hope to be around for a long time and to truly provide a great product at an amazing price.

Feel free to DM me or give me a call guys. Thank you for reading this.

Garrett Aryan
Combat Abrasives - 714-203-2541
@combatabrasives

Plus one on phoniex abrasives. Shipped fast, got what I ordered and the belts held up well.
Plus another for Pheonix. I have posed some non-knife questions to them and they have come up with an answer every time. Very nice people as far I have experienced

I've used combat abrasives (so far only 80 grit belts), and am happy w/the product. I also received mine w/no issues. They seem active on social media which is helpful if you need to contact them.

Hey guys thought i would jump in here as a few of you guys have some great remarks to say about us and a few of you don't (understandably so). Just wanted to give a bit of background - We are a manufacturer that have been making sanding belts, buffing wheels & buffing compound since the mid 90's. We are a family run family business and we thought it would be awesome to bring direct to the consumer pricing and save you guys the middle man price.

I must admit that the month of december we got super behind because we just got a huge amount of orders due to a video that we had which went viral with @ameribrade (they make machines). We are getting the problems fixed as far as lead times. We are now stocking ALL 2 X 72's in ceramics, aluminium oxide, silicon carbides and zirconias so they can all ship same or next day. I know you guys hate waiting for your belts so this is something we are trying to correct.

If our lead times screwed you up i really apologize on behalf of myself and Combat abrasives. Please give me a call and ask for myself (my name is Garrett) and i promise you we will hook you up with a discount. We hope to be around for a long time and to truly provide a great product at an amazing price.

Feel free to DM me or give me a call guys. Thank you for reading this.

Garrett Aryan
Combat Abrasives - 714-203-2541
@combatabrasives
One of your employees actually called me to give you feedback. I was pleasantly surprised. He was great on the phone not sure if it was garret or not.
I agreed that the lead time took too long, but other than that the belts rule. He asked if i had any suggestions. I siad that a ceramic shredder belt in 220 grit would be absolutely awesome. The aluminum oxide 220 doesnt cut into hardened super steels nearly as well. (CPM 3V/4V, CPM S90V, etc.)
If you guys can make a 220 ceramic you will definitely pick up business from a lot of makers. I love your 36-120 shredder belts.
-colin
Shannon Steel Labs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you are looking for quality belts and reliable honest customer service, I highly recommend sending Dave Harlan Jr. A personal message on Facebook. He also has a Facebook page called Merit & Intergritty supplies. He sells the vsm line and is the definition of mom and pop store when it comes to customer service. He truly is a pleasure to do business with. I don't deal with perferred or combat based on the fact that their sales pitch is based on the color of the belt .I could care less what color my belts are I just want them to cut and last .

Ive used mainly combat Abbrassives in 60 and 220 grit. I like the 60 grit but seems like it glazes over pretty quick and here lately the 220 has been SQUEALING think im gonna switch to 3m for everything 120 and up

Been nothing but happy with combat abrasives. They shipped quick and some of the best prices TYD. Belt quality seems good!

Back