Coming this Spring - KA-BAR Becker BK40 Folder

First off I’m not a folder guy.
I like the looks of the knife.
I wish it was made here in the USA.
The problem with that is not enough people would buy one for the higher price point that would bring.
I asked my local gun store one time why they didn’t carry any decent holsters. The answer I received was that most people have no problem spending $600 on a handgun, but then look for the cheapest Uncle Mike’s holster.
He said knives were the same way. If it wasn’t a buck knife it didn’t sell.
Sorry for the ramble just my 2 cents.

A machax xl? Ive never seen it mentioned and i dont understand why not. That would be everything the machax couldnt be. The machax yearns to be bigger. I might have to email kabar about this. All i can do but at least its something.

On the folder, i can see a few other of ethans designs be converted to folders as oppose to what they did(or a usa product they release later). The return of the bk15, but now a folder. I like that more every minute.

If Tradewater and Bladite can weigh in dammit I can too. I think most of us will end up with this knife because our families know we like knives and like Becker knives in particular and when they see the price will buy it for us. They aren't knife nuts and don't know the difference between Aus-8, D2, Sandvik or anything else. And we will all say thank you and throw it in our pocket.

No this isn't the knife ANY of us want, but it's what we get.

That all being said, im going to pass (and actually showed it to my family telling them I don't want it.)

MachAx XL, sign me up!! Nice post Bladite. While it hasn't changed my thinking yet as to the BK40 it did inspired me to order a Bk21. Been wanting one for awhile now but seemed like every time I had the coin they were sold out....until today. Got the black Micarta scales to go with.

hey guys,

Bladite here, #1 most loyal fan amirite? doinrite?

the last year or so has been rought on a lot of us...

even prior to that markets are such that "meh", companies do what they need to do

my last job or so has been toxic, and required a lot of my time and emotional energy to survive

likely so it is with KaBar...

i've never made it a secret that i was never a fan of the KaBar Becker versions of the #4 or #5. neither of them met the standards of prior versions. imho. yet, they sold well enough. now they are dead. forever probably.

can't say much about the new folder, i don't know anything. nobody has told me anything. i'm about out of the loop as it can be. is what is. same as the last few items.

my humble opinion: "meh", but if it get's Ethan some income, so be it. that's really all i care about. i'm his mod. not KaBars.

i don't own one, and tbh, other than having one in the drawer someday at my own cost, i'm really not excited by it.

feels like the Moses bowie - yet another of many attempts to modify Ethan's designs, without his authentic input - imho.

KaBar does what it needs to do, but it's been a few years now, and i fear they are on their own.

want to support Ethan? buy his stuff.

i recommend the Kephart, esp, and also buy the official book from smokey mountain park association.

want to support the KaBar effort? please do, they are good people at heart. though, tbh, i suggest: American only made knifes.

made in Olean, NY, USA, by real Americans.

thanks.

2021 : demand the MachAx XL - a bigger longer heavier MachAx like it was meant to be :D

Ethan deserves it

*i* deserve it :D

kisses!
Yay @Bladite sighting! I hope things are getting better and that you and your family are well. :thumbsup:

MachAx XL, sign me up!! Nice post Bladite. While it hasn't changed my thinking yet as to the BK40 it did inspired me to order a Bk21. Been wanting one for awhile now but seemed like every time I had the coin they were sold out....until today. Got the black Micarta scales to go with.

MachAx XL.: I have one that Bill Siegle made a few years back. It is certainly a cool knife.

Can be seen here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wts-t-3-bill-siegle-choppers-three-of-them.1072428/

N2s

Last edited:
I'm still willing to give it a chance and grab one when it comes out; it's basically a folding 17 that might be up to a Rat 1s quality, and hope that an upgrade will follow soon.

I truly love Becker knives and have owned about 5 or 6 of them. My modded bk16 is still my favorite fixed blade I own.

This does not make much sense however.

Weight:. 4.8 oz is wayyy heavier than many other knives in this price point with similar blade sizes.

Steel: For 40 bucks you can get d2, which imo is a very big step up from aus8. Sure aus8 has more toughness but it's still not a fine grain stainless for having such awful edge retention. The civivi element in is 10 dollars more, and something like an Ontario rat is 10 less even with d2. This really should have been in something like 12c27 or 14c28n.

Made in China is a bummer too. Iv always been proud of my Becker's being from NY.

Now that a have a hogue knife, it makes me wish all the more that they would have went to them for the production.

I'm still willing to give it a chance and grab one when it comes out; it's basically a folding 17 that might be up to a Rat 1s quality, and hope that an upgrade will follow soon.
Yup, I've had Beckers enter and leave my hands through the years, still have a few. The folder looks like inexpensive fun. And I'll likely be getting one. Right after WW2 Japanese manufacturing was sometimes called "Jap Crap". Now many of their products are world leaders. Right or wrong this is the world we live in now, when companies want low product costs. If given a choice though, I would be willing pay more for a better end result.

HUH.
I think you may have just sold one.
Hadn't thought about it as being a set of handles and locking hardware for the cost of micarta scales that comes with a blade template.
I’m not sure I would even trust the hardware :rolleyes:. Tracing templates would be a safe bet :p:p

Last edited:
I dont think the hardware would be of any concern. Plenty of chinese knives out there without hardware issues. Id say some items made in america, they dont pay attention to every component. Building something at home, you may go to home depot for some material and chances are some of that is going to be made in china.

Back