Compadre / camp knife 104, axe 106, froe 108.

JPhduFS.jpg

Makael Makael I check eBay a few times a week for compadres and saw few listed recently that look similar. I really like the dark blade with the micarta. Wood handled ones you posted look great too. Thanks for sharing them!

Makael Makael a follow up question after looking at those more carefully... are those different types of grinds between the two wood examples and between the two burlap examples? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me!
Were those offerings directly from Buck or are those handles from exclusives that were switched over? Really love the look!
Yes, you caught the flat and saber type grinds. Micarta handles are one of each type same with wood handles.
Build out knives from Buck.

The first 2018 generation of the 104 with Cobalt (Black) Cerakote and Natural Canvas Micarta didn't have BOS or 5160 printed on them, but they were BOS 5160 steel. Seems we are seeing the slow evolution to what they sell today.

Last edited:
Yes, you caught the flat and saber type grinds. Micarta handles are one of each type same with wood handles.
Build out knives from Buck.
Mike are these cerakoted? looks like the old rougher textured red finish ones coating, but dark grey or black. they seem like not production ones, but are they and ya swapped handles or something?

Mike are these cerakoted? looks like the old rougher textured red finish ones coating, but dark grey or black. they seem like not production ones, but are they and ya swapped handles or something?
Cerakote finish, These are build outs from Buck. I didnt swap the handles or anything. Sure look nice in the dark gray.

I've been wanting one of these, and after spending a week camping and using the old Estwing hatchet, I talked myself into buying this.

I'm not one to chop wood with a knife.... It just seems silly. But this..... It's made for it!
I'm sure I'll find other uses. This thing is cool. It's like a tough lawn mower blade with a nice handle!

The weight is nice, it's as sharp as you could ever want it to be, and the sheath is pretty impressive too.

View attachment 1660432View attachment 1660433

I'm impressed.
No regrets!!!

Last edited:
I've been wanting one of these, and after spending a week camping and using the old Estwing hatchet, I talked myself into buying this.

I'm not one to chop wood with a knife.... It just seems silly. But this..... It's made for it!
I'm sure I'll find other uses. This thing is cool. It's like a tough lawn mower blade with a nice handle!

The weight is nice, it's as sharp as you could ever want it to be, and the sheath is pretty impressive too.

I'm impressed.
No regrets!!!
Ok, you got me.

I’ll post my review when it lands.

I'm impressed.
No regrets!!!
Perfect review.

I'm impressed.
No regrets!!!

It's a fantastic tool! I take mine with me every time we go car camping, and also use it when use the firepit. It pretty awesome for making kindling. I use it Froe style and baton with it. No swinging a hatchet towards your toes! :D

The leather sheath that shipped with mine was unfortunately pretty twisted, but in the end, not a big deal. Buck offered to replace it, but I never bothered. It works just fine as is. :)

kX1RAa6.jpg

mBqQ0yn.jpg

Recently there was a camper that didn't come home from a portage/ camping trip.
When they found him, he had bled out having severed his femerol artery. His tourniquet had come loose... He had been chopping campfire wood with a hatchet.

Ever since, I wear a leather belt with holes the whole length of it, and I've also decided to minimize hatchet use.

The froe may seem pricey, but all things considered, it's a smart buy.

I work commercial and industrial construction, and bad things can happen fast..... even when you think your being safe.

I added the belt loop/hook as it didn't come with.

View attachment 1660793

Thanks.

Last edited:
Recently there was a camper that didn't come home from a portage/ camping trip.
When they found him, he had bled out having severed his femerol artery. His tourniquet had come loose... He had been chopping campfire wood with a hatchet.

Ever since, I wear a leather belt with holes the whole length of it, and I've also decided to minimize hatchet use.

The froe may seem pricey, but all things considered, it's a smart buy.

I work commercial and industrial construction, and bad things can happen fast..... even when you think your being safe.

I added the belt loop/hook as it didn't come with.

View attachment 1660793

Thanks.
wanted to put a sad face for your camping pal, thats a sad fate.....but I like what ya were saying on your idears and your belt loop setup and pic, so i went with a like instead.

Back