Compadre / camp knife 104, axe 106, froe 108.

Recently there was a camper that didn't come home from a portage/ camping trip.
When they found him, he had bled out having severed his femerol artery. His tourniquet had come loose... He had been chopping campfire wood with a hatchet.

Ever since, I wear a leather belt with holes the whole length of it, and I've also decided to minimize hatchet use.

The froe may seem pricey, but all things considered, it's a smart buy.

I work commercial and industrial construction, and bad things can happen fast..... even when you think your being safe.

I added the belt loop/hook as it didn't come with.

View attachment 1660793

Thanks.
That’s a very similar thing that happened to one of our neighbor friends when I was a little kid. I didn’t know him to well but my parents were close friends of him and his wife. I don’t know the details of the injury but he bled out before anyone knew he was in trouble. I think they said it was an axe he was using to chop down a small tree in his yard. He had the tree felled and was removing limbs when he apparently had a glancing blow that cut his lower leg very deeply.

I know how quickly bad things can happen as I had an incident just a year ago with a Buck 55 that I fumbled and came very close to severing my femoral artery. I’m glad my son was there to help get me to the ER in quick order to stop the bleeding. I’ve had some close calls with a hatchet as well so a Froe would probably be a wise investment.

It's a fantastic tool! I take mine with me every time we go car camping, and also use it when use the firepit. It pretty awesome for making kindling. I use it Froe style and baton with it. No swinging a hatchet towards your toes! :D

The leather sheath that shipped with mine was unfortunately pretty twisted, but in the end, not a big deal. Buck offered to replace it, but I never bothered. It works just fine as is. :)

kX1RAa6.jpg

mBqQ0yn.jpg
I'm unsure of how much use that has gotten. But if there's any really, that Cerakote looks pretty good still.
I really haven't given any of the Cerakote finishes much use myself.
I've been curious as to it's ability to look good with wear.

I'm unsure of how much use that has gotten. But if there's any really, that Cerakote looks pretty good still.
I really haven't given any of the Cerakote finishes much use myself.
I've been curious as to it's ability to look good with wear.

I took that when it was brand new, lol. The Cerakote definitely doesn't look nearly as good these days, but it's held up better than I was expecting. I was expecting flakes to come off, but instead there are just scratches. I'll try to get a pic when I get home from work.

Well all you enablers are to blame, it got to me and I went and ordered a 108 Froe. I’m itching to get out soon and try it out.

While I was shopping I noticed that the 106 hatchet was not listed at all. Were they discontinued or what? I’ve got a couple of camping hatchets already so I’m not interested in getting one but that surprised me they weren’t listed along side the 108 and 106.

Since I held off getting the botm Ironwood Duke I conceded that I was due to get sumptin nice after seeing all the pictures of the dazzling wood grain and that new style blade, they are nice !

Camping season is here.
I've been wanting to try out my froe.... Something that's actually made to be beat upon.

Well I had about a 2 foot piece of oak handrail I used as the hammer while splitting..... That froe split anything I had!
Easily. And it's still sharp!
Buck does 5160 right 👍.

And it's way safer than swinging an axe to make kindling.

If you like campfires you need one.
I love this thing!

Sometimes the things you don't spend money on are the things that cost the most.

Just saying. Be safe 😁.
Thanks!

I keep coming back to the 108.
I process a lot of wood for kindling.

Then I think I could find use for 106 as well.
How does it compare to the Gibson/ESEE hatchet?

Then with two down, the 104 seems like a no brainer.

I've come to appreciate the nylon retaining strap on the 104 knife sheath.
I've experienced the leather straps getting cut on other sheaths when putting the knife back into the sheath.
The nylon seems to be more resistant to damage of that sort. Sure it can be cut, but it's less likely to render the sheath unusable

Besides, the 104 really is a nice utility and camp knife.

Thanks Buck.

I've come to appreciate the nylon retaining strap on the 104 knife sheath.
I've experienced the leather straps getting cut on other sheaths when putting the knife back into the sheath.
The nylon seems to be more resistant to damage of that sort. Sure it can be cut, but it's less likely to render the sheath unusable

Besides, the 104 really is a nice utility and camp knife.

Thanks Buck.
Yes to all of this.

A very interesting thread that has changed my mind on something. I have a couple of minty old 106s around here somewhere that I kinda sorta set aside for the Great Grand kids. 6 and 3. (someday)
And while I haven't ever used a hatchet much and never given much thought to the safety aspects. The GG kids or even their Dad won't (maybe) get either of these.
So the three orangie froes will now get stuck back in a corner for them as maybe a better option than a hatchet.
As far as needing or using, someday they will inherit this place that I teasingly call the Rocky Cedar Ranch. If yall are familiar with the Texas Hill Country you understand why,

Thanks Gentlemen for the safety issues,,, I am enlightened as to the issue of a glancing hatchet blow.

Back