Compression Lock Likes and not so likes

"Not so likes" (?) = "dislikes".

No need to tip toe here, is there? It's not necessarily offensive to dislike things.

I never warmed up to the compression lock because I am used to an Axis lock which I find much more refined, and which doesn't tend to have the blade bounce-back that the compression lock has when quickly one-handed closing. I prefer Spyderco's liner lock (Millie so ideal).

Not so likes
Just playing with words.
I suppose I like the axis lock and I like the compression lock
I not so like the compression for the cutout in the handle and the pinch (though I get pinched less often now that I might unconsciously hold it different now).
I not so like the axis because it may be more vulnerable to debris getting in the springs and the ?rare? broken spring.
Yes this is gibberish.

I don't DISLIKE either one though.

Axis lock which I find . . . doesn't tend to have the blade bounce-back

Oh sure it does. On the couch I flip my Griptillian flawlessly. At work she bounces part of the time when closing. My longer Benchmade 710 with M390 doesn't bounce so much but has other closing issues.

But yes just as a design to keep the lock out of the way of the grip area the Axis is really great.

If there was a button on it, I'd like it. I've said this before. ONLY because it always pinches me when I open it. I was quite upset to see the Shaman with this lock. I love back locks.

Backlocks. :thumbsup:

I don't like anything that causes asymmetry on the liner as it means (theoretically) one side will be weaker in certain use, not that matters in usual EDU usage, but still structurally different.
I also dislike cutout for lock release. Sal knows about it ;) :cool:

Except for GB1, I don't have liner lock Spyderco. Only lockbacks and one CBBL.

As a lefty I find the compression lock beeing one of my favourites. It is like working a backlock for closing, but with the lockup and feel of a linerlock.

Back locks are alright imo. But for me they come in 5th place after frame locks , compression lock , liner locks and the bbl.

But I own and like each of the ablove.

I go through phases. And right now I'm all about the compression lock. My Yo2 is my current edc of choice (finally giving my 204P Military a rest).

Old dead thread but i couldnt resist....i dont like em...for one they hard to use with off hand and two they have a detent ball that has potentiAl to wear out. Give me a cbbl or plain ol back lock anyday. That being said i have quite a few knives with the lock simply because i love the para 3 and 2. A para 3 lw with a back lock or even a delica with a choil....either would likely be the last blade id have to buy

I prefer a back lock for one simple reason... spring tension.
When I close a back lock, it slams shut, and I don't have to check to see if it's actually closed before I put it in my pocket again.
Compression locks 'bounce' or hang up, so you're never quite sure if the blade closed all the way, forcing you to check it.

I prefer a back lock for one simple reason... spring tension.
When I close a back lock, it slams shut, and I don't have to check to see if it's actually closed before I put it in my pocket again.
Compression locks 'bounce' or hang up, so you're never quite sure if the blade closed all the way, forcing you to check it.

Probably a good idea to always check things that could cause harm. Just like you will check your firearm before holstering [or doing anything with it].

But I understand what you're saying!

Last edited:
I have no problem with the compression lock, bought one cause that's what comes with the PM2, a truly GREAT knife design! However, I do prefer a frame lock.

I have XL-XXL Sized hands, Haven't had any issues with comp lock on Para 3, PM2, Caribbean, And Lil Native! Besides the Lil Native, All usually get used with lightweight Mechanix gloves! No pinching during hard cutting and can work the compression lock easily! Definitely one of my Preferred locking Mechanisms.

I find the compression lock hard on the hand when doing some forceful cutting. It kinda hurts the palm.

This. The PM2 in particular. Whoever doesn't notice doesn't use the knife hard enough (cutting away from your body, with the lock in web between thumb and index finger). The Shaman feels better, not sure why.

0 problems with the compression lock

I like it and don't have any pinch or hot spot problems

As I read "blanket" comments on usage of certain models/locks, I pause and think about my father who was wise above his years.

My family owned auto repair garages, Machine shops, Gas stations (Shell and 76) , And Automotive parts stores in San Bernardino, Encinitas, And Poway California. Many times over the years, While working with my Dad, He would point out the "wrong" way to use a tool... Operator Error! He would also say "One mans treasure is another's garbage!" Meaning a tool loved by one is hated by another.

For ME the Comp lock on the Para 3, Paramilitary 2, And Caribbean is fine UNDER HARD use. :thumbsup::)

Seriously... if your lock is going to fail that pathetically, carry a slip joint.
I do...

I guess that's why spine whacks and weight tests don't mean anything to me.
I'm never going to be using any of my knives in an inappropriate manner to cause such failure.

Last edited:
Back