Copper Handles vs Coronavirus ?

Just don't let anyone touch your knives and you'll be fine.

I don't let people use my good knives anyways.

Right pocket: Chris reeves, benchmade, spyderco etc

Left pocket: small old fashioned 2 or 3 blade knife specifically for loanout.

Unavailable for them until plague ends

I made a brass handled knife. My first try

Problem with brass and copper tho is it tarnishes. And very heavy

Kinda meh

I recently read a study supporting this as well, workers from copper factories, copper jewellers, and a couple other groups that worked with copper everyday had an infection rate 10x less than that of the general public in the same city during the Spanish flu.

I work in manufacturing myself, but I wear blue nitrile gloves all day long. We have remained opened as we are "essential" (military manufacturing)

Normally I only have the gloves on about 20% of the day. Lately I keep them on the entire day

Hope it works because my coworkers are dropping one by one

Germs tend to degrade more quickly on surfaces made from certain metals. It's called the oligodynamic effect. Copper is very effective. The smells we associate with copper and brass are actually the result of them degrading or reacting with organic materials along their surface.

Does this mean copper or brass scales will help you avoid the Corona Virus? Ideally, most of the germs on your knife scales come from your hands. The germs you have to worry about are ones that you'll either inhale on tiny water droplets or rub on to your hands when you touch public surfaces. In theory, you could get the virus on your hands, use your knife, wash your hands, then use your knife again, and then touch your face and get sick. I don't know how likely that is IRL, especially versus already having gotten it from whatever environment that eventually put those germs on your knife.

:p Thank you , "Captain Obvious" guys for the hand washing and cleaning advice . :rolleyes:
Here's another top tip for you then, if you are in close enough proximity with a possible virus carrier to worry about an unwashed shared tool, you have bigger problems than said shared tool.

Is this thread even knife related? Perhaps read more if you are bored...

Here's another top tip for you then, if you are in close enough proximity with a possible virus carrier to worry about an unwashed shared tool, you have bigger problems than said shared tool.

Is this thread even knife related? Perhaps read more if you are bored...
:) OP thread is both topical and knife related , IMO .

But , yes, now that you mention it , most important to prevent infection with this mostly airborne virus is to avoid all physical contact with possible carriers . Stay at home ! :cool:

2nd would be a properly fitted N95 (or better) mask (and ideally , eye protection), when contact is necessary . :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hand washing and other personal hygiene should have been important and practiced even before the global pandemic . :rolleyes:

Anyway , everyone , stay safe ...and "read more if you're bored" . ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Interesting topic...
Coincidentally, I got an email blast this morning from a large knife dealer featuring 3 different knives with copper, brass and bronze scales.

Great material but please don't depend on copper and brass to keep clean. The chances of it protecting you from the virus are very slim as it is highly contagious and 4 hours is a long time. If it can get on your knife, it can get on anything else around you. Still remember to wash hands even if all your tools are copper. =)

On a related note, how about knife purchase during this time? Do you guys just open the shipment boxes, leave them outdoor overnight, or sanitize those boxes before opening them? How about mails delivered to your mailbox?

Back