Copper Handles vs Coronavirus ?

I saw that, not that it matters if you just follow precautions, but tactile turn had a sale on copper and brass pens, since brass is about 70% copper

tyyreaun

Gold Member
On a related note, how about knife purchase during this time? Do you guys just open the shipment boxes, leave them outdoor overnight, or sanitize those boxes before opening them? How about mails delivered to your mailbox?
Coronavirus doesn't really survive all that long on porous surfaces, like paper or cardboard. Moreover, it can't penetrate your skin.

I'd say just take the box inside, open it, discard the packaging, and wash your hands, and you'll be fine. Don't lick the box.

That being said, there was just a report that USPS shipping volumes (and hence, revenue) have dropped precipitously since the pandemic started. I think we all need to do our part to help: stay inside, and order more knives!

Mistman68

Gold Member
Copper's a great surface for it's antimicrobial characteristics, that's why my kitchen sinks are copper, plus it looks cool :)

:) OP thread is both topical and knife related , IMO .
Okay then, let's discuss seriously.

It is foolish, if in any way, one is relying on copper to deter the spread of covid-19. And as it relates to knives, using copper as a handle material, and banking on it as any sort of measure to retard the spread of covid-19 is even more foolish. Further, positing the very subject as any means of the aforementioned is ignorant in the least and irresponsible or negligent at worst, given current events. God forbid some poor idiot reads this thread and thinks some copper will keep him/her safe.

If after your knife is exposed to covid-19, as a means of cleaning it of the virus, you set it down and don't touch it for 4 hours, you have serious issues.

Who would care to disagree?

herisson

Apple slicing rocking chair dweller
You made it in a rather big nutshell, but... of course ! All true. And besides, I know of no current knife with an all copper handle. Brass and bronze do not count, you cheaters ! An antique maybe... very protected in a museum, if ever. The world is cruel, there is no magic metal. For anything. Bummer.

Venice

Gold Member

It is foolish, if in any way, one is relying on copper to deter the spread of covid-19. And as it relates to knives, using copper as a handle material, and banking on it as any sort of measure to retard the spread of covid-19 is even more foolish. Further, positing the very subject as any means of the aforementioned is ignorant in the least and irresponsible or negligent at worst, given current events. God forbid some poor idiot reads this thread and thinks some copper will keep him/her safe.

If after your knife is exposed to covid-19, as a means of cleaning it of the virus, you set it down and don't touch it for 4 hours, you have serious issues.

100% agree.

The Aflac Duck

Gold Member
q9OhqNx.jpg

soc_monki

Basic Member
Coronavirus doesn't really survive all that long on porous surfaces, like paper or cardboard. Moreover, it can't penetrate your skin.

I'd say just take the box inside, open it, discard the packaging, and wash your hands, and you'll be fine. Don't lick the box.

That being said, there was just a report that USPS shipping volumes (and hence, revenue) have dropped precipitously since the pandemic started. I think we all need to do our part to help: stay inside, and order more knives!

I ordered more sharpening equipment. Also cat food. And I'm thinking of ordering a hogue ritter... I'm doing my part!

herisson

Copper's a great surface for it's antimicrobial characteristics, that's why my kitchen sinks are copper, plus it looks cool :)
And because I was short on funds, I went for all stainless. It works, is easy to maintain but it's way less cool than copper. No doubt. Although, copper being rather soft, over time you get quite a lot of nicks and scratches... OK, you can buff them out with the Bosch hand drill...

sharp_edge

Gold Member

LOL. Neighbor's cats or some wild animals may have licked those boxes. Anyway, I think I'll dispose these boxes before bring the knives into the house.

herisson

I ordered more sharpening equipment. Also cat food. And I'm thinking of ordering a hogue ritter... I'm doing my part!
I wanted to do my part : I have a knife on custom order from Austria, need some boxes of sharpening belts and other stuff but La Poste decided to shut down its dispatching centers... So, I'm buying the catfood locally. The cats are really OK with it. And I can wait. Patience can build up massively with age. Most of the time :

Henry Beige

Gold Member
Copper knife handles strike me as a great investment. Should they prove ineffectual against the virus, you can melt them down and hammer them into pain-relief bracelets.

Certainly, I mostly agree , but that is the true beauty of an open forum ...a variety of viewpoints , expertise , and experience can be shared . A veritable smorgasbord !

Anyone reading this whole thread will , hopefully , at least consider that they and loved ones could be at risk from fomites and take measures to protect and prevent infection .

The wife and I ventured forth today to forage for necessities . The first time off the freehold homestead in over two weeks . And no visitors allowed .

We both wore N95 certified masks and took every precaution to avoid contagion . We both have plenty of professional training and experience .

Luckily the local rural Walmart was not busy , although some items were not available or being rationed out .

IMO , this is NOT the "big one" . This is more a wake up call for the long run . Easily could have been exponentially worse !

No , not belittling this event or peoples' suffering . It's bad enough and will get worse with economic and social repercussions , but most will at least survive .

Survivalist / preppers maybe seem slightly less ridiculous right now ?

Certainly, I mostly agree , but that is the true beauty of an open forum ...a variety of viewpoints , expertise , and experience can be shared . A veritable smorgasbord !

Anyone reading this whole thread will , hopefully , at least consider that they and loved ones could be at risk from fomites and take measures to protect and prevent infection .

The wife and I ventured forth today to forage for necessities . The first time off the freehold homestead in over two weeks . And no visitors allowed .

We both wore N95 certified masks and took every precaution to avoid contagion . We both have plenty of professional training and experience .

Luckily the local rural Walmart was not busy , although some items were not available or being rationed out .

IMO , this is NOT the "big one" . This is more a wake up call for the long run . Easily could have been exponentially worse !

No , not belittling this event or peoples' suffering . It's bad enough and will get worse with economic and social repercussions , but most will at least survive .

Survivalist / preppers maybe seem slightly less ridiculous right now ?
See how "not about knives" this topic is now?

jbmonkey

Supreme windbag
Platinum Member
I have some in brass, bronze, and copper just like how taps and door handles used to be when i was a kid. those fell out of fashion for the same reason these are showing. tarnish that appears dirty to many...... 15851816607423827905956946482639.jpg

Chronovore

Basic Member
Since we are discussing health and the margins of possibility here, remember that a lot of brass contains lead. It's not much, usually around 2%. However, it can be a source of contamination. The kinds of brass EDC gear we usually discuss aren't really on the public health radar. Where we often see it discussed is in the context of brass keys. Considering the surface area of personal flashlights, knife scales, etc.; it's like carrying that many extra uncoated keys and handling them that much more often. Since exposure is cumulative, this may be worth thinking about if you have other regular sources of exposure in your life.

On a related note, how about knife purchase during this time? Do you guys just open the shipment boxes, leave them outdoor overnight, or sanitize those boxes before opening them? How about mails delivered to your mailbox?
We just set this stuff aside and let time kill the virus . Overnight for sure , but a few hours is probably enough .

The vast majority of transmission is from direct , face to face human carrier contact . Mask up when necessary to not be home .

Properly fitted N95 or better is best but even a simple cloth barrier is much better than bare faced .

Eye protection is good . Safety googles or even sunglasses , better than nothing .

One close up cough or sneeze from a heavy shedder and you are toast . Bathing in disinfectant will not help that .

Remember STDs that had people worried about toilet seats ? Yeah , if you were having sex there !

Wash your hands every chance you get. Air dry them. Wear gloves as much as possible. Hand sanitizer is a joke. If anyone wants to "borrow" your knife tell them to go buy their own. I never loan tools. Ever.