Corrosion testing

sorry Josh, boiled linseed oil

I've been getting into axes and hatchets :)

edit: used mostly for the wooden handles prior to an application of bees wax, but also used on the steel (4140 steel isn't unusual)

it takes a while to dry, but it's a bit like tung/danish oil. one or two coats dries into a solid layer. definitely much superior to mineral oil.

I read regular linseed oil, once the solids settle, may be superior, but I can't comment.

I have no idea if it is effective, compared to plain ren wax or bees wax, against anything more than finger prints and humidity

Last edited:
A few left in the running after about a week!

i-kLLmTk6-X3.jpg

some of the ones without much/any staining/rusting, their labels are hard to see

would you list the ones still in the running REK?

thank you! I may have to get me some LCTI and One Shot!

Have to say, I’m still pretty satisfied for the results from corrosion block and ACF50. Acf50 is basically a lighter version of corrosion block. I use both of these on my vehicles and no real rust. But I periodically treat them for the seasons :)
I’d be curious how’s theyd be for lubrication. I use them both on my firearms and edc knives, also knife steel prone to rusting. But not on anything for food prep.
Josh they also make a grease that might be good. I’ve had good success with it, but didn’t have any to forward you. :)

And we have a winner!! XCP Rust Block! Next step will be to test top products on the initial 1095 blanks as they rust WAY quicker than this welding steel.

The xcp still hasn't failed though... I'll keep pushing it!

i-Mmc9h9N.jpg

Have to say, I’m still pretty satisfied for the results from corrosion block and ACF50. Acf50 is basically a lighter version of corrosion block. I use both of these on my vehicles and no real rust. But I periodically treat them for the seasons :)
I’d be curious how’s they'd be for lubrication. I use them both on my firearms and edc knives, also knife steel prone to rusting. But not on anything for food prep.
Josh they also make a grease that might be good. I’ve had good success with it, but didn’t have any to forward you. :)
For sure, they definitely outperformed many of the others.

Hopefully I can compare lubricity next... I also want to see how many of these actually displace water.

Thanks again for the testing Josh! :thumbsup:

Looks like XCP is only available from the UK so I was nosing around at the WD40 LCTI and Hornady One Shot in Amazon.

For the WD40 LCTI it says it doesn't dry. Did this one seem to be particularly wet or sticky after applying?

Hornady One Shot seems to have multiple versions under the "One Shot" name. Can you clarify what you used?

Hi Josh

It looks like the corrosion X product faired well. But came in behind corrosion block and acf50. Also for products that left a waxy type coating ie boeshield , corrosion x HD, amsoil HD. Showed rust quickly, could it be the waxy residue helped the rust spread ?
That XCP looks to be top competition for ACF50 and Corrosion block.

Thanks again for the testing Josh! :thumbsup:

Looks like XCP is only available from the UK so I was nosing around at the WD40 LCTI and Hornady One Shot in Amazon.

For the WD40 LCTI it says it doesn't dry. Did this one seem to be particularly wet or sticky after applying?

Hornady One Shot seems to have multiple versions under the "One Shot" name. Can you clarify what you used?

None of them were wet or sticky as I wiped off almost all the excess.

The Hornady was the gun cleaner and lube with dynaglide.

Shoot depending how the final testing goes I may just bottle some in small 1oz bottles and sell on the website for knife nuts specifically. I have like a while pint or so lol

Hi Josh

It looks like the corrosion X product faired well. But came in behind corrosion block and acf50. Also for products that left a waxy type coating ie boeshield , corrosion x HD, amsoil HD. Showed rust quickly, could it be the waxy residue helped the rust spread ?
That XCP looks to be top competition for ACF50 and Corrosion block.

I'm not sure on the waxy coating... I do know that it's meant to be just gobbed on and left to dry into a thick wax film (which I obviously didn't do).

The xcp was recommended to me by someone in the UK I believe who uses it on his motorcycle along with acf50, said I would be hard pressed to find a better product and looks like he was right. It's not just another snake oil like tc11 or strongarm. The testing they did seems legit

https://xcp-protection.com/products/xcp-rust-blocker/

Josh,

I did see that testing , thanks. It sure is legit product , I’ve been following it through motorcycle forums.
I use the acf50 on engines and corrosion block on undercarriage. I let them both soak in and on the engine I heat cycle it. Then do a second coat either Acf50 or CB. One thing I really like is no harsh chemical odor. How’s the xcp for odors ?

Thanks

Josh,

I did see that testing , thanks. It sure is legit product , I’ve been following it through motorcycle forums.
I use the acf50 on engines and corrosion block on undercarriage. I let them both soak in and on the engine I heat cycle it. Then do a second coat either Acf50 or CB. One thing I really like is no harsh chemical odor. How’s the xcp for odors ?

Thanks

Here's an interesting article on it:
" it did prove stickier than ACF, but any sand in our test was completely removed by hosing off. As XCP is so resilient, and its performance so high, washing doesn’t degrade the protection to any significant degree, so the product can be used for the longest time without reapplication.

XCP gave very impressive corrosion protection – the best in test"

Odor wise it's on par with ACF and corrosion block... Whereas the wd40 lcti has almost no smell.

This is interesting... Spraying the fresh water board twice a day with distilled water wasn't doing hardly ANYTHING. Then last night we got some of that wind and rain from the hurricane (and it was pouring and hard wind). check the before and after out! Any ideas why this happened so quickly after a day and night of rain (but practically overnight)?

i-zGcT965-X5.jpg

i-bF6mQfJ-X5.jpg

This is interesting... Spraying the fresh water board twice a day with distilled water wasn't doing hardly ANYTHING. Then last night we got some of that wind and rain from the hurricane (and it was pouring and hard wind). check the before and after out! Any ideas why this happened so quickly after a day and night of rain (but practically overnight)?

i-zGcT965-X5.jpg

i-bF6mQfJ-X5.jpg
Just a couple oddball guesses, but maybe the storm’s wind carried fine particulates of salt water all the way to you from the gulf.. or maybe acid rain? No data behind that. Just speculation. TGIF, BTW! :)

Back