Could these Chinese knives really be that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those aren't the Chinese companies you want to look at. Eafengrow in particular seems mostly to be "homages" of other designs.

As others have said, there are a few good ones. Civivi in particular - that's the budget brand from WE Knives. If I had to get a knife for under ~$100, it would absolutely be a Civivi.

I'm curious as to which Japanese brands you're referring to. Spyderco's Japanese models are overpriced and have had quality issues recently - check Nick Shabazz's reviews if you'd like some evidence of that. Mcusta knives are just weird. I guess Fallknivens (the ones made in Japan) are good, but definitely not budget knives.

So it only counts if it was within your lifetime, which is why slavery, the Trail of Tears, etc., no longer matter? Every major country has had their atrocities. Saying you won't buy from someone like Richard Deng (founder of Reate Knives), because of something that some other Chinese people did, is jingoistic nonsense at best.
I am referring to Spydercos.
No issues from any of mine.
But thank you for mentioning possible issues.
I may take a closer look at Japanese Spydercos for future purchases given that you cited a reputable person's evidence of quality issues.
I completely disagree that they are overpriced, however. Given, "overpriced" is seriously subjective.
Without regards to other issues in buying Chinese products, they may truly be the most bang for the buck.
I don't deny that and I don't mean to be political, but I would rather not support Chinese companies any more than I already do with a trip to just about any store.

Aren't these "Chinese knives" simply made in that country but with an American design? After all, look at all the American companies that have made parts and total assemblies in Japan. It's a world economy.

Aren't these "Chinese knives" simply made in that country but with an American design? After all, look at all the American companies that have made parts and total assemblies in Japan. It's a world economy.

It's not that simple. Japan and China are completely different on many levels. Taiwan and China are also different.

Some of the best “users” I own are Seki-made Spydercos. I haven’t experienced all of these flaws that some are talking about.

Some (many) people in the West have a tendency to lump all Asian (especially East Asian) countries together as one monolithic entity, which they are not. Taiwan and mainland China are not the same, let alone Japan and China. Similarly, the UK isn’t Spain or Norway, even though they’re all European countries. And besides, it’s the manufacturers within a country that make knives, not the country itself. Just like the Spydercos made in Golden are made by Spyderco, not by “America.”

Jim

Last edited:
The reason to not buy Chinese knives, or knives of any other nation, would be a desire to not economically support that country and the government that provides market power to their currency. China does not use the dollar as their currency. In the balance of trade, we receive their goods in exchange for our currency. But Chinese companies pay their rent, utilities, debt, and payroll with local currency. Our dollars must also be exchanged for yuan to complete the balance. This economic activity strengthens the yuan due to demand for the output that is paid for by yuan, and thereby strengthens the global position of the currency and government that backs it.

Buying Chinese knives implies approval of Chinese currency, and thus approval of the source of it. If you do not, then don't. If you do, or don't care, then shop as you please.

The reason to not buy Chinese knives, or knives of any other nation, would be a desire to not economically support that country and the government that provides market power to their currency. China does not use the dollar as their currency. In the balance of trade, we receive their goods in exchange for our currency. But Chinese companies pay their rent, utilities, debt, and payroll with local currency. Our dollars must also be exchanged for yuan to complete the balance. This economic activity strengthens the yuan due to demand for the output that is paid for by yuan, and thereby strengthens the global position of the currency and government that backs it.

Buying Chinese knives implies approval of Chinese currency, and thus approval of the source of it. If you do not, then don't. If you do, or don't care, then shop as you please.

This may be true but what else is getting your implied approval by virtue of the money you spend or the taxes you pay? I understand your sentiment but when you go down this rabbit hole, you'll find that the night is dark and full of terrors.

The US just signed a trade pact with China. If despite that folks don't want to buy knives from there that is a personal choice.

My personal choice is that I wouldn't buy a knife from one of the companies the OP was hinting about not because of what country they're from but because they are bad actors and their business methods are detrimental to other honest makers.

Being a bad actor transcends race or national borders.

This may be true but what else is getting your implied approval by virtue of the money you spend or the taxes you pay? I understand your sentiment but when you go down this rabbit hole, you'll find that the night is dark and full of terrors.
No disagreement, just wanted to articulate the connection between country of manufacture and product through the exchange currency. It seemed some may have thought that there was none and all that was impacted was a specific brand.

Yeah, the Civivi Naja was designed by the American Company...uh...er...uh...um...
iu

There are some companies that do make clones like Green Thorn and Eafengrow, but I avoid those. There are other companies that do their own thing and make quality knives at a very good price like CH and Twosun. Then there are companies like Kizer and WE that have some original designs and have many collaborations with established knife makers, many in the US, so you get an authorized version of their knife in high quality materials (which they often get from other countries) with great fit and finish for a much cheaper price. To me, there is nothing wrong with that. They collaborate with western designers and purchase many of their materials from the west. Seems like a win for everybody to me.

Some of the new chinese brands are built well enough but I find them all to be completely soulless. I can't really even explain what I mean by soulless but, yeah...

My entire collection consists of Chinese budget knives from SRM and Enlan to Harnds, CH and TwoSun (along with one other *ahem* company) and I agree with this big time.

It's all about marketing. Look at how CRKT spins a story for every single model that leaves the factory. Even a wooden knife kit has a one paragraph writeup about its creator's inspiration

As for those Chinese brands? They are definitely very well made and worth every last cent, but they feel totally dead without that bit of marketing. It almost feels like the boss walked over to the designer and said "Come out with a new design for our next production model by the end of the day. And keep it simple, we don't want to mess with what sells."

And by the way, I hope the Chinese's obsession with D2 does not linger for too long seeing that they have managed to produce it domestically on a large scale. That thing is practically impossible to sharpen with a standard Lansky kit.

Disclaimer: I am an overseas Chinese.

Last edited:
They do come up with some good ones,though like that Civivvi Incite Damascus with the shredded carbon fiber gold/copper; for 100.00 that is one great knife !

My entire collection consists of Chinese budget knives from SRM and Enlan to Harnds, CH and TwoSun (along with one other *ahem* company) and I agree with this big time.

It's all about marketing. Look at how CRKT spins a story for every single model that leaves the factory. Even a wooden knife kit has a one paragraph writeup about its creator's inspiration

As for those Chinese brands? They are definitely very well made and worth every last cent, but they feel totally dead without that bit of marketing. It almost feels like the boss walked over to the designer and said "Come out with a new design for our next production model by the end of the day. And keep it simple, we don't want to mess with what sells."

And by the way, I hope the Chinese's obsession with D2 does not linger for too long seeing that they have managed to produce it domestically on a large scale. That thing is practically impossible to sharpen with a standard Lansky kit.

Disclaimer: I am an overseas Chinese.

I'm a fan of some of the brands you mentioned. The Harnds Talisman is surprisingly good. I also like Civivi, Bestech, Real Steel, Ruike, etc. None of them feel "soulless" or "dead" to me. There is no obvious difference in the amount of time, effort, or heartfelt inspiration on the part of whoever designed them. I'd love to know who designed them or to see a little blurb about it.

For me, it's the marketing from CRKT that feels hollow. CRKT's budget knives are made in similar Chinese factories. They often use lesser steels and might have worse fit and finish. Yet, they typically sell for a higher price. Just recently, they debuted a bunch of $40 and $50-something knives in 8Cr13Mov. They just released a new Folts Minimalist in 5Cr15Mov and it sells for $25! No marketing blurb is going to put a soul into that.

I tried a different model of the CRKT Minimalist a few years back. Fit and finish was sad. Edge retention was dismal. I ended up returning it. Feeling dismayed, I tried a Tonife Squirrel at half the price. Fit and finish was better. Edge retention on the 7Cr17Mov was better. The sheath was better too. I love the design. If anyone deserves a blurb, it's the guy who designed the Tonife Squirrel.

The Realsteel Sea Eagle is one I have, and for about 17.00 I got a set of blue lightning strike carbon fiber scales that was offered by the seller.Try getting that on a Benchmade or similar itll be 90.00 +...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back