• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Coyote Brown Kiridashi

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here's a heavy duty .250 thick 5160 steel kiridashi I made a while back. It features a "relic" etched plum brown finish and a coyote brown West System epoxy soaked cord wrap. I made a matching coyote brown sheath for it out of Kydex, it is teklok compatible. I did the heat treat with my digitally controlled kiln. This knife has a textured and rounded spine for comfort and grip, the cord wrap is durable and comfortable as well. It has a chisel grind with a bevel on the back for versatility and ease of sharpening. This one is not signed because I made it before I got my signature etcher but as always I back my work 100%. Let me know if you would like a simple lanyard or cord for necker use, both are included for free... I have tons of cord colors including coyote brown and black. As always it is 100% handmade by me!

5160 Steel
.250" thick and 6" long
Kydex tek lok compatible sheath
rounded and textured spine
Coyote brown!

Made in the USA - Sole Authorship

Sold! :D

013flq.jpg

004red.jpg

019sn.jpg

023zi.jpg

Last edited:
Very attractive and stout knife, but what kind of cutting is it designed for ? I've 'always' wanted to know so thought i would ask here.
roland

Kiridashis are mostly marker knives, like for scoring wood for carpentry, but they make excellent fine cutters: splinter-pickers, seam-rippers, leather-workers, even grafting knives. This one is thick tough steel which could do some prying, also.

that was fast. now you gotta make more!
Hey I do have more of this 5160, I got it from Aldo Bruno and it is great stuff!

Nice bro didnt take long!!
Thanks! I noticed you have some rocking knives up right now, as always! :D

Very attractive and stout knife, but what kind of cutting is it designed for ? I've 'always' wanted to know so thought i would ask here.
roland
Thanks for the compliments! They come in handy for lots of day to day tasks like cutting cord, opening boxes, cutting leather and that sort of thing. The original design was made for someone in the military, it was intended to be used on a tactical vest as a utility and defense tool. They are nice for gardening too! :D

Kiridashis are mostly marker knives, like for scoring wood for carpentry, but they make excellent fine cutters: splinter-pickers, seam-rippers, leather-workers, even grafting knives. This one is thick tough steel which could do some prying, also.

Exactly! :D

I love that finish! I might have to get one of these someday.. I agree, it would be a sweet little tool to ride on my plate carrier.

Thank you gentlemen. Now knowing what a Kiridashi excells at, i may soon realize that i can no longer get by without one (esp. as i do mucho gardening).
roland

I love that finish! I might have to get one of these someday.. I agree, it would be a sweet little tool to ride on my plate carrier.

Thanks! The plum brown finish has been used for over 150 years, it adds a cool old school look. Great on the vest!

Thank you gentlemen. Now knowing what a Kiridashi excells at, i may soon realize that i can no longer get by without one (esp. as i do mucho gardening).
roland
I use mine for tons of stuff, they really come in handy.

kiris are great.. its like a pissed off exacto blade.. cardboard laser, scoring tool... keep one in every tool box and in the shop or garden shed..

some are more ornamental.. I have a variety of them just because of their different styles/designs..

Daniel's design is very utilitarian/stout for hard use.. great price point too

I really like this one. Even though you removed the price from the original add, I would have likely purchased this if it were still available. In fact, if you make more I might like to be on the "list"...feel free to contact me if something like that is possible.

Nice work.

I really like this one. Even though you removed the price from the original add, I would have likely purchased this if it were still available. In fact, if you make more I might like to be on the "list"...feel free to contact me if something like that is possible.

Nice work.

Thanks! They sell for $75, that includes the sheath and shipping. I have a 2-3 month wait for orders at the moment and am happy to make more.

kiris are great.. its like a pissed off exacto blade.. cardboard laser, scoring tool... keep one in every tool box and in the shop or garden shed..

some are more ornamental.. I have a variety of them just because of their different styles/designs..

Daniel's design is very utilitarian/stout for hard use.. great price point too

Thanks! I have another kiridashi for sale at the moment!

Got it! Looks better than the pictures, very solid piece, clicks into the sheath. :thumbup:

what process are you using for etching? and How did you get that killer brown color on it? I might be interested to get on this list also!

Back