CoyotesThriving under our noses

AmadeusM

Banned
Yes. They are very adaptable. In fact, I have seen a couple of them at a Barnes and Noble chatting over some coffee. Also, if Wiley Coyote is any measure, they are SMART, almost genius.

Most of all, they're very dangerous to humans, second only to Nile crocodiles.
In fact, if I lived in a place with lots of coyotes, I would not be walking anywhere without a .308 semi auto with at least 6 spare magazines, thus giving a good name to all gun owners.

Crap. The LAST thing I intended by starting this thread was to help people justify shooting every one they see.:thumbdn:

AmadeusM

Banned
True, but Speedy Gonzales is faster than both. In fact, he is faster than Al Bundy in bed.

:D

Coyotes are the DEVIL!!!! Just look!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

yotebuck3.jpg

I got this pic from a trail camera set up over a dead deer. I live in a pretty populated suburb of Detroit, and coyote and deer sightings are very common. Coyotes are just very smart and adaptable. With all the new subdivisions and malls going in, they seem to have found their niche.

nifrand

Custom Knife Forum Mod
fulloflead said:
Crap. The LAST thing I intended by starting this thread was to help people justify shooting every one they see.:thumbdn:

In 1973 in the Madison Valley NW of Yellowstone, State hunters killed 1500 of them.Did not make a dent in their population.I killed 120 or so myself for the pelts.$135.00 for a Montana prime hide(stretched)
Good money for a winter job.
Randy

nifrand said:
In 1973 in the Madison Valley NW of Yellowstone, State hunters killed 1500 of them.Did not make a dent in their population.I killed 120 or so myself for the pelts.$135.00 for a Montana prime hide(stretched)
Good money for a winter job.
Randy

Back in the late 70's early 80's a friend and I were doing the same thing in So Cal, but the pelts were $75.00 at that time for winter high desert. Not as plush as Montana pelts.

After the endangered species act was enacted here, coyote pelts really went up and we asked the fur buyer about it and he said the end user/manufacturers bleached the coyote pelts and then stained them to look like the endangered species before making them into jakets, stoles etc.

LMAO, all those people wearing desert dog and paying huge money to do so.:eek::D

Yam,

I had a golden eagle shadowing my border collie/blue heeler mix one time on the Grand Hogback and I know for a fact that an eagle will take "wet" lambs or cats. There's no legend there.

And with all due respect to the various fish and game departments, it's a lot easier politically on those guys to blame livestock attacks on coyotes rather than on loose pet dogs. Dog shooting's not got a lot of political momentum going for it, even when they are the real cause of the problem.

I shoot coyotes, no problem, when it's appropriate or profitable, but they just aren't the great destroyers they are presented to be by a lot of people. And , again, in the US a coyote eating a loose or feral cat isn't a bad situation. Loose cats do a lot of damage to native species.

As to Mike's post that coyote predation is causing the decline of pronghorn, I can only ask that if this so how come the pronghorn didn't become extinct thousands of years ago? Coyotes eat antelope, sure. But they aren't causing the dropping numbers. That's a matter of habitat and water.

I don't doubt that coyotes take some calves and other livestock. They are wild canines and will behave as such. But they just aren't dangerous, generally, to adult people.

Take Care,
Jeff

AmadeusM said:
Yes. They are very adaptable. In fact, I have seen a couple of them at a Barnes and Noble chatting over some coffee.

AmadeusM, surely you have mistaken them for a werewolf of London drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Aaahhwooooooo!

gallowglass said:
Yam,

As to Mike's post that coyote predation is causing the decline of pronghorn, I can only ask that if this so how come the pronghorn didn't become extinct thousands of years ago? Coyotes eat antelope, sure. But they aren't causing the dropping numbers. That's a matter of habitat and water.

Take Care,
Jeff

Because the Game and Fish dept., in their infinite wisdom reintroduced the pronghorn to AZ in areas with fencing, reducing their range considerably. Pronghorns won't jump fences and they lose their best defense, their speed.
It's like they're in a cage with the door open to predators.

We had wild and not so wild dogs in this area running in a pack at night a few years ago, causing depredations to livestock and even trying to get into horse corrals.
They were killed, most of them anyway, and those dog owners that could be tracked from collars had to pay a heavy price for not keeping their animals secure.

Hell, my sister had a couple of livestock killing dogs in California that would get out and act like serial killers run wild on a flock of sheep on an adjoining property.
The dogs were killed in the act and my sister paid a heavy price. She had been warned but refused to believe.:eek:

No, it's not all coyotes.

willhunt said:
Coyotes are the DEVIL!!!! Just look!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

yotebuck3.jpg

I got this pic from a trail camera set up over a dead deer. I live in a pretty populated suburb of Detroit, and coyote and deer sightings are very common. Coyotes are just very smart and adaptable. With all the new subdivisions and malls going in, they seem to have found their niche.

Evil evil evil! Great pic! Pics of Coyotes have been making the papers in SE michigan frequently for the last couple of years Livonia has had a lot of reports. I saw one at about 5AM in Hines park in Dearborn last summer. It was in the road chewing on some road kill, (looked like a possum)

yam

This is for those of you who disagree with what I have stated.

For the record, I am not saying that dogs have not and are not responsible for much of the livestock killing all over the country. We have that around here too. However, I am sticking to my story that coyotes (in my area) have in the past and continue to this day, pack up and kill livestock large and small. As another has stated they also do bait domesticated dogs into a fight and kill them. The coyotes here are good sized and not mangy, they are healthy, bold and have adapted.

I am not here to argue, and I agree to disagree. I believe what I believe, and you are entitled to believe what you believe ..... no harm, no foul.