CPK and Archery

Definitely lucky, but IIRC, Aussies can have some weird AR-variant (kinda like Cali's weird, 'cannot have this, or this, or this,... must be modded like this and this and this' BS).

I recalled seeing an article about an Aussie owner describing his (unless recent laws have changed). The darn thing was ridiculously priced though.

P.S.
Whoops, nevermind. I tried looking for the article, and found one about them banning a bolt action AR lookalike, simply because it looks like an 'assault rifle'. The thing is/was ridiculously expensive, and it's not even semiautomatic. It's a bolt action rifle, built to look like an AR but apparently that makes it too scary looking to allow in Oz.

Last edited:
Many years ago, the gun shop that I worked at got a British gun magazine. (GASP! :eek:) There were several ads for modified semi-auto rifles for British use. One was the Ruger Mini-14. That was an easy one. Just make it without the gas system. The were several AR15s without the gas system. The weirdest one was made by Bushmaster (IIRC) The grip hinged forward and operated the bolt. This was at least 20 years ago, so they are probably verboten now.

I still have several of the magazines, but they are mostly about air rifles.

BTW, I saw a review of a Savage .22 rifle. The price in the UK is £863 or $1145USD. On this side of the pond, you can buy one for less than $400.

Last edited:
Not sure which goes best, Trad or Compound....
vp7skqc
xlw0GKb

xlw0GKb.jpg

vp7skqc.jpg

Trad with antiques on that LC for sure; jealous!

Just got my bow in the mail this last week; Hoyt Buffalo. Looking forward to starting the journey (new archer)

Funny you ask. I was thinking as the dumb wights stood behind the wall of fire, the archers could have mowed them down. Didnt see a lot of archery action from the wall. But Theon, on the other hand, dude redeemed himself with that bow in the weirwood.

When I first started archery hunting about 5-6 years ago, it was my intent to start with a traditional bow. Since I am into cowboy guns and slip joints, it would make sense that I would like the antiquated flair of traditional archery. Though it is still something I am interested in and hope to explore more in the future (even perhaps making my own bow), my wife found a package deal that was simply too good to pass up at the time when I started.

Some lady parted ways with her deadbeat boyfriend (her words) right after she had bought him a new bow, arrows, accessories, and such. She was willing to let it all go for a song just to be rid of it.

It is no Bowtech or Matthews but it shoots fast and straight and is pretty quiet. The upgrades alone made the deal pretty worth it. Spot Hogg, Trophy Ridge, hard case, etc. All I needed were broadheads and I was good to go.

DnnkxP6.jpg

Bringing an old thread back to life with some crappy pics.

I bought my first bow back in 2009, a 70lb Hoyt Alphamax. I hunted with it for five years and I could never seal the deal on spot and stalk hunting. I figured the bow was cursed or I just sucked at bow hunting. Likely the later.

I passed the Alphamax onto my son and he downed an animal with it the first hour of his very first hunt. :thumbsup: Guess we know who the better hunter is. :D

Second bow was a 70lb Mathews Chill-X. The Alphamax shot well but the Chill-X was money. I had a number of successful hunts with the Chill-X until passing it down to my other son. The only downside to Chill-X was the weight if you’re carrying the bow around all day.

Latest bow is a 65lb PSE Carbon Stealth. This thing carries like a dream and shoots as well as the Mathews if I do my part. Can’t wait get out again with it and my #badideaFK2

E30BE69C-45E7-4E00-ACB5-FD6474C8BF47.jpeg View attachment 1322573
E03F79E0-A195-4404-9EEC-FC60CE834B19.jpeg

Last edited:
When I first started archery hunting about 5-6 years ago, it was my intent to start with a traditional bow. Since I am into cowboy guns and slip joints, it would make sense that I would like the antiquated flair of traditional archery. Though it is still something I am interested in and hope to explore more in the future (even perhaps making my own bow), my wife found a package deal that was simply too good to pass up at the time when I started.

Some lady parted ways with her deadbeat boyfriend (her words) right after she had bought him a new bow, arrows, accessories, and such. She was willing to let it all go for a song just to be rid of it.

It is no Bowtech or Matthews but it shoots fast and straight and is pretty quiet. The upgrades alone made the deal pretty worth it. Spot Hogg, Trophy Ridge, hard case, etc. All I needed were broadheads and I was good to go.

DnnkxP6.jpg

Sweet deal Dylan! :cool: Best way to get a good bow is lightly used. There are some amazing deals out there if you watch. Funny, I have the same quiver on my bow. It's the ONLY one I could find that would fit my Ramcat broadheads properly.

Bringing an old thread back to life with some crappy pics.

I bought my first bow back in 2009, a 70lb Hoyt Alphamax. I hunted with it for five years and I could never seal the deal on spot and stalk hunting. I figured the bow was cursed or I just sucked at bow hunting. Likely the later.

I passed the Alphamax onto my son and he downed an animal with it the first hour of his very first hunt. :thumbsup: Guess we know who the better hunter is. :D

Second bow was a 70lb Mathews Chill-X. The Alphamax shot well but the Chill-X was money. I had a number of successful hunts with the Chill-X until passing it down to my other son. The only downside to Chill-X was the weight if you’re carrying the bow around all day.

Latest bow is a 65lb PSE Carbon Stealth. This thing carries like a dream and shoots as well as the Mathews if I do my part. Can’t wait get out again with it and my #badideaFK2

View attachment 1322574 View attachment 1322573
Sweet bow! :cool: I ordered a #badidea FK2 as well, with the express intent to use it as a hunting knife. :D

GOOD GOD! That thing is a monster! What did he dress out at?

Thank ya sir!
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to weigh him. I shot him September 10th 2019 about 6:45 in the evening and it was a 95 degree day. After the recovery it was a mad dash to get him taken care of so I wouldn’t lose any meat. He was a 5.5 year old animal and I would guess he dressed right at 195lbs give or take 5lbs.

Did you get that mounted? Please don't tell me that those are common enough in your AO, that it wasn't worth the time/cost :eek:

I did get him mounted! The taxidermist I use did a phenomenal job and I was very pleased with the result. I even talked the wife into letting me hang this one in our den, opposed to my office where all the other critters reside.

Sweet deal Dylan! :cool: Best way to get a good bow is lightly used. There are some amazing deals out there if you watch. Funny, I have the same quiver on my bow. It's the ONLY one I could find that would fit my Ramcat broadheads properly.

Thanks, Jared. I tell a lot of folks who are interested in archery to just watch Craigslist shortly before season. A lot of dudes selling last year's model so they can get into the latest and greatest.

It's been a great quiver so far - no complaints yet.

Haha! I appreciate it. I’m blessed to live in KY which produces some fantastic Whitetails.

Over here, we have the wily Blacktails... They are smart, elusive, and since we lack much in the way of open area, they are hard to hit. I'd love the opportunity to hunt Whitetails someday.

DnnkxP6.jpg

I shoot Hoyt atm, but I’ve tried every brand out there and Bear is as good as any Mathews, bowtech, it Hoyt etc. I’ve shot.

Back