CPK and Whisky (or other vices), a pictorial

Here is something interesting - vodka finished in oak casks. Very good!

G8hJgWZ.jpg

After 10s or 100s of hours handling the fine knife I would think you would know. O the glass...kind of interesting. About a decade ago I did a project in Windsor Canada cutting whiskey with water prior to going in the barrel. It is distilled high but has to go into the barrel at the finished %. I didn't know squat about whiskey and was somewhat shocked to see it was clear before going into the barrel. Makes sense I just didn't know. It was the week of July 4th. Windsor is right across the river from Detroit. Fireworks off of barges in the river was really cool.

Last edited:
What's that like?

Sorry, Nathan - I'm realizing that I am missing notifications right and left. I didn't see your question until now.

Vodka finished in oak barrels tastes like whiskey.... And a pretty great one too! Smooth and uncomplicated overall, it still has plenty of subtleties that make it a very pleasant dram. I had no idea that finishing vodka in barrels was a thing - it's almost like infusion but instead of infusing with berries or candy or whatever, they are imbuing that woodiness from the barrels. It makes for a nice effect, in my opinion.

Sorry, Nathan - I'm realizing that I am missing notifications right and left. I didn't see your question until now.

Vodka finished in oak barrels tastes like whiskey.... And a pretty great one too! Smooth and uncomplicated overall, it still has plenty of subtleties that make it a very pleasant dram. I had no idea that finishing vodka in barrels was a thing - it's almost like infusion but instead of infusing with berries or candy or whatever, they are imbuing that woodiness from the barrels. It makes for a nice effect, in my opinion.

Yeah that's what I was wondering about. Whiskey is basically just a harsh grain alcohol that needs some time in an oak cask to become palatable. I don't think most people enjoy it otherwise. Whereas vodka can actually be quite nice. It seems like starting with something like a good vodka and then giving it the cask conditioning might make a very nice whiskey? I need to try that

Yeah that's what I was wondering about. Whiskey is basically just a harsh grain alcohol that needs some time in an oak cask to become palatable. I don't think most people enjoy it otherwise. Whereas vodka can actually be quite nice. It seems like starting with something like a good vodka and then giving it the cask conditioning might make a very nice whiskey? I need to try that
You can order it off their website. That's what I did after Padruig's post. Shipping is about half the cost of the bottle itself.

Back