CPK modifications

No green canvas for the field knife, no problem!

nmk6AJa.jpg

9IJQuFC.jpg

iGOuwBP.jpg

Egz6mxJ.jpg

pee1jg8.jpg

saHihxm.jpg

:thumbsup: Looks great David! Nice job dyeing the scales green, and it goes real well with the OD Mashed Cat sheath. You’re mod on the pommel, and the swedge came out excellent.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Looks great David! Nice job dyeing the scales green, and it goes real well with the OD Mashed Cat sheath. You’re mod on the pommel, and the swedge came out excellent.

Thanks Gus! I've used that particular field knife a ton love that blade. It pierces so well with the swedge just seemed like the right mod since the d3v is so tough anyway. Really happy with how it turned out.

Thanks Gus! I've used that particular field knife a ton love that blade. It pierces so well with the swedge just seemed like the right mod since the d3v is so tough anyway. Really happy with how it turned out.

I really like the mods you’ve had done with the FK as well.

The swedge, pry-turned-hammer/smash-end, and the kydex upgrade take the FK from a 9.5 to a solid 10/10. I’m seriously considering having the same done to mine... and hoping we’re able to add swedges to the FK2.0

I wanted to report back on the dye job. I was still getting some residual green so I scrubbed them with dish soap in hot water. That seemed to do the trick (no more green at all coming off :thumbsup:) but it left them more of a two-tone color. They look kinda cool really, just not the od that I was hoping for when I started the project. Oh well.

Yes! Looks like the edc3 is getting machined swedges so hopefully there'll be an option for them on this as well.

That would be so good. Curious to see how the EDC3 stacks up to the 1 and 2. I may have gotten spoiled with the hand finishing, but if this makes the 3 any cheaper, or even avoids any increases, then that's a huge win for an awesome blade.

I wanted to report back on the dye job. I was still getting some residual green so I scrubbed them with dish soap in hot water. That seemed to do the trick (no more green at all coming off :thumbsup:) but it left them more of a two-tone color. They look kinda cool really, just not the od that I was hoping for when I started the project. Oh well.

Pics please?

My EDC that's been on my belt for weeks (months?) now has the old black and green linen that had a pretty short run. Definitely one of my favorites and was sad to see it go.

j0o6jfT.jpg

Pics please?

My EDC that's been on my belt for weeks (months?) now has the old black and green linen that had a pretty short run. Definitely one of my favorites and was sad to see it go.

I haven't had any of the linen, but that ^ looks good :thumbsup:

Here's what I ended up with. I believe the color is held fast now and we're looking at the end result:

viA4v8C.jpg

Dave, you've become quite the handle scales alchemist!

If an alchemist is the antithesis to the artists here like TR, then yes! :D

Somehow I never posted this here...

In the interest of science, I have discovered that Terotuf is dyeable! ;)

I think I'll redo it with a darker green, but it definitely took the Rit:)

~Chip

Cool! I don't remember seeing any dyed terotuf. You got a nice consistent color :thumbsup:

Thought I would post these for people interested in the different handle hardware offered. Even though I am a user and not a collector, the black oxide coating doesn't really do it for me since it is often splotchy ( I know I shouldn't care :) ). By lightly chucking the included stainless hardware in a drill press and using a small block of wood with 100->220->400 grit sandpaper I have my own turned mounting screws. Works for me.

On a UFK.
2019-03-17-1985_hardware.jpg

As a comparison here are the titanium screws, turned vs. unfinished
2019-03-17-1988_hardware.jpg

And a comparison of all three. unfinished titanium - turned stainless - turned titanium
2019-03-17-1996_hardware.jpg

Last edited:
Even though I am a user and not a collector, the black oxide coating doesn't really do it for me since it is often splotchy ( I know I shouldn't care :) ).

The thought that you expressed here ^ sums up my own thoughts perfectly. If the stainless would hold a dark black color I'd be content. Those ones you turned yourself look really good :thumbsup:

Thought I would post these for people interested in the different handle hardware offered. Even though I am a user and not a collector, the black oxide coating doesn't really do it for me since it is often splotchy ( I know I shouldn't care :) ). By lightly chucking the included stainless hardware in a drill press and using a small block of wood with 100->220->400 grit sandpaper I have my owned turned mounting screws. Works for me.

Great Job, and I couldn't agree more regarding the Screws (fasteners)
2019-03-17-1985_hardware.jpg

As a comparison here are the titanium screws, turned vs. unfinished
2019-03-17-1988_hardware.jpg

And a comparison of all three. unfinished titanium - turned stainless - turned titanium
2019-03-17-1996_hardware.jpg

Back