CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any new development here ? I can't wait to see these and hopefully own one or two :)

haven't posted this pic yet;

Nice ! I'll take 3 :)

Any chance there will be rear lanyard hole ?

Dope. Looks like the blade's got good width, and a nice drop to match the front guard. The main thing I somewhat dislike about my Ambush Alpha (other than the crappy grinds, but I've fixed those already), is that the blade doesn't clear the guard, so it's challenging doing slicing work on a flat surface, and it's a knife that gets pressed into camp kitchen duty a fair bit.

I do like a pronounced integral guard, but I generally like the blade width (at least on an all-`rounder knife) to match or exceed it so that it can work well in food prep.

I like the witdh of the handle.. looks perfect for my hand.. I hope the front is not too thin compared to the back.. Any way you can post a side view of the handle and blade?

I really enjoyed reading this thread about the SK design process. I am probably in the minority here, but I like having both a finger choil as well as jimping on a knife this size if I am placed into a one knife situation. The reasons for this are exactly as stated elsewhere in the thread. I agree that balance and functionality should be right so that the choil adds to the fine work capabilities and has a purpose other than just reducing cutting surface and aesthetics. The jimping should not cause hot spots, but I like the added traction, especially in cold weather. I also agree that using a knife as a fire striker is never a good idea due to the potential for game over injury. Bics and Zippos are much better tools to start a fire, but using ferro rods with a striker is something I always have as a backup. If I loose the striker, I can always resort to using the edge of the knife to strike a fire, even though that might be inherently more hazardous than using the spine. I have knives with notches designed for ferro rods that I have never used. Seemed like a good idea for a backup when the spine will not strike a ferro rod, but practically I would hope that I never had to use it. If the spine will not strike a spark, a notch might be a feature as an option for those that want one. Here again, using a knife to strike a fire is a last resort for me in any situation.

I never have just one knife on me except under very rare situations such as being in a wedding, or when wearing a suite, but I also have a survival knife in my car if I were to slide off the road on the way home. But for me a survival knife should be designed such that it is a single knife solution. We don't plan survival situations, they just happen when we are doing other things.

I really enjoyed reading this thread about the SK design process. I am probably in the minority here, but I like having both a finger choil as well as jimping on a knife this size if I am placed into a one knife situation. The reasons for this are exactly as stated elsewhere in the thread. I agree that balance and functionality should be right so that the choil adds to the fine work capabilities and has a purpose other than just reducing cutting surface and aesthetics. The jimping should not cause hot spots, but I like the added traction, especially in cold weather. I also agree that using a knife as a fire striker is never a good idea due to the potential for game over injury. Bics and Zippos are much better tools to start a fire, but using ferro rods with a striker is something I always have as a backup. If I loose the striker, I can always resort to using the edge of the knife to strike a fire, even though that might be inherently more hazardous than using the spine. I have knives with notches designed for ferro rods that I have never used. Seemed like a good idea for a backup when the spine will not strike a ferro rod, but practically I would hope that I never had to use it. If the spine will not strike a spark, a notch might be a feature as an option for those that want one. Here again, using a knife to strike a fire is a last resort for me in any situation.

I never have just one knife on me except under very rare situations such as being in a wedding, or when wearing a suite, but I also have a survival knife in my car if I were to slide off the road on the way home. But for me a survival knife should be designed such that it is a single knife solution. We don't plan survival situations, they just happen when we are doing other things.

I used to like them.. but after using them both.. knives with choils to do small work, and ferro rods.. and having some time behind them both.. Ive realized they are not that fun..

There is just nothing like using the right tool for the job.. and a choil only takes away valuable edge space that I like.. I prefer my knives to have the edge and sharpened edge all the way back to the handle, no choils.. Ive even see several knives that I otherwise liked.. but the maker did not offer choiles version, so I did not purchase.. Esp. when the choil is huge.. To me its just useless.. When I do small work, I want a small knife with an ergonomic handle..

Ive also started to hate handles that have that hump on the back.. They are just not as comfortable as a straight handle.. To me it started with HI knives at first, then with several other brands.. and I just find myself using the straight handle knives much more.. Esp. if Im doing something longer than 2 minutes.. For example, a HI Ang Khola vs. Becker bk9, I can use BK9 for much.. No, its not the weight issue, its the ridge in the middle and curved handle.

The same thing goes for ferro rods.. I had several very expensive ones, and if it gets a little soggy outside.. the only thing that lets me light a fire is a lighter.. and even at that it might be slightly difficult..Yes, this is why people carry tinder soaked in vaseline.. but to me thats cheating.. why bother? I use natural tinder.. and its a pain to light even with a $38 ferro rod.. So I just quit using them.. and went to lighters

The whole nonsense about lighter getting wet, is just that.. I blow it out with my breath for like 10 seconds and it work again.. Yes, even when the lighter falls deep in the water and stays there.. IT still works if you let it dry.. Besides, I always carry at least two..

So no choil for me definitely, and I could care less about ferro rod..

I do like that tiny choil for the sake of sharpening or cutting veggies on a board.. The ones on the LC are just fine to me..

That SK is looking good Lorien. Glad to hear it will have the recessed lanyard hole.

The same thing goes for ferro rods.. I had several very expensive ones, and if it gets a little soggy outside.. the only thing that lets me light a fire is a lighter.. and even at that it might be slightly difficult..Yes, this is why people carry tinder soaked in vaseline.. but to me thats cheating.. why bother? I use natural tinder.. and its a pain to light even with a $38 ferro rod.. So I just quit using them.. and went to lighters

There is no cheating when it comes to fire. If I could snap my fingers and have ten gallons of diesel on hand at any given moment, I'd do it. Not trying to throw that back at you, I just don't like the notion of playing fair when it comes to a situation that can cost you your life.

That SK is looking good Lorien. Glad to hear it will have the recessed lanyard hole.

There is no cheating when it comes to fire. If I could snap my fingers and have ten gallons of diesel on hand at any given moment, I'd do it. Not trying to throw that back at you, I just don't like the notion of playing fair when it comes to a situation that can cost you your life.

Exactly my point. I received a new GSO 4.7 today and it has a 90* spine that is in no way threatening my fingers or bothering anybody being there. It's not a danger to anyone and the knife is just as much of a finished product as the next while being, in my opinion, more versatile than if it didn't have it. It's like having a hammer or prybar pommel on a knife when 90% of users are never gonna use it. It's a nice extra feature to have if you did NEED it, it most likely won't get used by most, and it bothers nothing with it being there.

a camp knife will likely feature a 7-8" blade, this one is around 6.5"
it will be a little thicker than the FK, but will have a wider blade, so very similar bevel geometry
it will be released- fingers crossed- around Xmas time
it will have a finger choil
I'll post some teaser photos of the sketch soon

So, 1/4" thick?

Still want more pictures :D

IMHO 0.25" is probably substantial overkill in 3V. On the other hand, nothing exceeds like excess :)

What I'm curious about: will the SK have the same HT protocol as the FK? Or will it be tempered softer?
I haven't read anything specific about the HT of the LC compared to FK. So I'm assuming the HT will remain same for the upcoming SK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back