CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be the same HT as the LC. This is a very durable lath martensite with good edge toughness.

The FK and the EDC get a plate martensite tweak. This reduces the gross toughness, but improves the edge stability.

The purpose of the difference is to obtain the greatest durability and edge retention for the application. A rough use knife needs some ductility to prevent breaking in an extreme impact that a small knife wouldn't be expected to see. Alternatively, a small thin knife needs to support a narrower edge than a large knife would normally see. So there are some subtle differences in the structures formed that are tailored to the knife.

It will be the same HT as the LC. This is a very durable lath martensite with good edge toughness.

The FK and the EDC get a plate martensite tweak. This reduces the gross toughness, but improves the edge stability.

The purpose of the difference is to obtain the greatest durability and edge retention for the application. A rough use knife needs some ductility to prevent breaking in an extreme impact that a small knife wouldn't be expected to see. Alternatively, a small thin knife needs to support a narrower edge than a large knife would normally see. So there are some subtle differences in the structures formed that are tailored to the knife.

Exactly what I was wondering!! Gnarly.

Thanks Nathan!

sorry, got no pics for yous. Nate is the guy who'll be providing pics from here on

sorry, got no pics for yous. Nate is the guy who'll be providing pics from here on

Assuming that the mock copy (sorry, I don't know the proper lingo!) is already at CPK's, it really looks like a first run of these may be ready by this Christmas. I sorta recall that was the time scale (a couple of months) in between your final design of the EDC and CPK's first run :)

This is a piece I'm really looking forward to handling - and having, of course. But handling larger pieces always tells the story.

With the FK sale wrapping up tomorrow, hopefully we'll hear some SK news next week. I'm excited for the next CPK blade.

With the FK sale wrapping up tomorrow, hopefully we'll hear some SK news next week. I'm excited for the next CPK blade.

IIRC, Nathan had posted last week or so that the CPK-SK release will not be on the cards for Christmas 2016.

IIRC, Nathan had posted last week or so that the CPK-SK release will not be on the cards for Christmas 2016.

That sounds about like what I remember as well.

I'm hoping for details, pics, or anything else to keep me occupied until they become available for sale. :)

That sounds about like what I remember as well.

I'm hoping for details, pics, or anything else to keep me occupied until they become available for sale. :)

Yes totally, but I doubt if Mr. Carrothers tips his hand as much as Lorien can be tricked into giving things up his entire life story for not very much in return! :D

I would like a blade closer to 8 inches. The 4.25" "woodcraft" blades I find limited. My perfect camp combo is a smaller light fixed blade neck knife for light stuff and a big blade. With a 6" blade you end up carrying an axe as well.

I always find myself checking for updates in this thread. Has there been any discussion on what type of tip will be on this ?
I read it will be around 6.5 blade length, but will it have a swedge, clip point, or drop point ? I kinda like a nice short swedge on a blade that length but that's just me. Can't wait to see this one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back