CPM 1V Indestructible?

I'm pretty impressed with the material specs for Raw toughness. What are your guys thoughts on the steel for an indestructible survival knife at 0.25 at the spine?

Shawn

I'm pretty impressed with the material specs for Raw toughness. What are your guys thoughts on the steel for an indestructible survival knife at 0.25 at the spine?

Shawn

Perhaps I just fail to see the reasoning behind an 'indestructible' knife, because I'm not one to shoot my knives with bullets or try to chop a car in half with it (or other similarly non-knife tasks), but reading up on it it seems to have potential. I bet 5160 or 4140 would perform similarly in toughness and be a lot cheaper and easier to work with, though, and I don't see wear-resistance as a big factor in an 'indestructible' knife.

I've done a ton of research on 80CrV2, and it is reported to be extremely tough, sort of like an improved 5160. I haven't beat on the example I have, but it has a very acute point that has held up well in testing. It's also a very affordable steel that is easy to work with.

I'd have a look.

I've used 5160 and 4140 on axes I don't think it has the strength I'm looking for for a knife.

I've used 8670 and 80crv2 for knives I've bought and made but I'm curious about finding the limits. 1v at 60hrc looks tougher and like it will hold an edge which means .25 at the spine can come down to .020 behind the edge of a 15dps and be a real bruiser but I'll have to make it and see.

Just a curiosity.
I haven't seen anyone use any.

Wanted to hear peoples thoughts and opinions, even there different then mine I appreciate the opinions

Thanks boys,
Shawn

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Bohler k340 is a steel you should check out as well. Probably doesn't have the toughness of com 1v but probably greater strength and edge retention.

Im interested in it!! Looks like a nice steel. I know bark river recently made a machete in it. Have you found any for sale? I’ll buy a couple bars and do some testing if I could find some! I’m sure there will be an intricate heat treat! It might be a good choice for a really tough wilderness hunting knife!

I really like 8670, but I want something with similar toughness and higher wear resistance, but not to the point of 3v.

Hey Shawn. It seems like the only guy I can recall talking about 1V was Jerry Hossom. I think like he didn't have much luck with it but I can't find the threads where he talked about why. This was a long time ago and when 3V was still relatively new and not out in any production knives yet. I wish my memory was better. :)

Joe

No, what I read was at the old knifemaker forum Hossom used to or still mods ( ?). He stated something about edges folding or ? It's been a while since I read it and I can't find it now that I looked. I thought it strange because it's the opposite of what I would think would be wrong. I don't know how invested of time and material Jerry was in his testing of 1V so I personally would still like to see how knives performed in it. Designing to it's strengths so to speak.

Joe

I have been curious about CPM 1V as well. Personally, I think 3V is plenty tough, but would like to try 1V. I think CD#1 would be an amazing steel to try for a larger blade! K340 as well.
That being said, I have 18-22 inch blade brush swords/slimline machetes in 3V, and they are insanely tough!!! I have 4 of them in 3V, and a few machetes. All work very well, but would be nice to see if something else is even more user friendly and/or corrosion resistant.
I have a chopper in in Bohler Viking(A8Mod) that is great! Does not hold an edge quite as long as 3V, but is very easy to sharpen up. It does hold a very good edge though.

Last edited:
Can 1V or 3V be differentially heat treated so as to follow what really tough blade/sword makers did with ordinary steels to get the best mix of results?

Niagra specialty metals has a sheet of CPM 1V. May make a run of hatchets or tomahawks with it.
Waiting on a price from them for a 4x36 sheet. 0.275/300 thick. Will machine down to 0.25.
If anyone wants to go halves so we Can get/test nore let me know!!! Will HT at peters.

I heard great stuff about the bark river machete in 1V. Curious to see what hardness that is and what hardness would be good for a knife(chopper) and for a hawk/hatchet.

"I heard great stuff about the bark river machete in 1V."

I haven't heard of that. Is it production or experimental ? Seems like it will get some attention from people like us here. :)

Joe

I was watching a youtuber and he stated only a handful were for sale a couple months back but Bark River would have a more substantial batch for sale in the late Spring.

Back