CPM 1V Indestructible?

Preparedmind101 had one of the 40 prototypes. They ordered a bunch of thin stock for the new run. I believe its under 1/8th.

I've haven't experienced CPM 1V "yet;)", but I can say Bark Rivers CPM 3V holds an edge for a long time.
2mGqxER.jpg

well yeah, 1v is 0.55% C - which is really soft, there is a reason many machetes are made out of 1055 :) I'm frankly surprised you got it to 59rc - good job, I don't expect it's easy to get that consistently

I guess the 2% tungsten really helps in that regard, because I can't see how else 0.55% C steel can get that high

Last edited:
well yeah, 1v is 0.55% C - which is really soft, there is a reason many machetes are made out of 1055 :) I'm frankly surprised you got it to 59rc - good job, I don't expect it's easy to get that consistently

It's on the spec sheet, 1v has no problem getting to 60hrc.

Why isn't everyone using 1v instead of 3v in that case? Is it just a case of being hard to get, or is it more expensive than 3v?

I honestly thought that you needed to be near 0.8% C to get to 60rc after HT. (If you're not relying on other carbide builders)

It is hard to get because Niagara doesn't stock it in bar stock. Just sheet stock. 3V is what everyone wants, that's why it is used by a lot of makers.
Scott

Something I'm wondering about now, if you do 1v and 3v at 60rc - how much of a toughness difference will there be? It's hard to gauge and I'd be really curious.
3V has better wear resistance than 1V.
1V is tougher than 3V at most hardness levels.

I used a chopper from Darrin Sanders in Z-tuff. Which is pretty similar to CPM 1V. It was hardened to 61HRC. For those ultra tough steels i would not go any harder and 61HRC. I would reccomend 58 or 59 HRC for maximum impact resistance.
I have a large chopper in 0.350 thick Z-Tuff hardened to 58-59HRC for toughness. (There is a thread for the build)

I looked up the price for CPM 1V from niagra for 0.250 thick and it was over 330 for a piece. See size below.
.250/.260 x 4.00/4.125” x 36” 1 pc

Price: $339.50/ea. Delivery: 1-2 weeks

Nothing is indestructible. Just loan your CPM-1V to your idiot BIL or the guy next door who needs something to work a tire off a rim. That said, people got along just fine before there were super steels.

Nothing is indestructible. Just loan your CPM-1V to your idiot BIL or the guy next door who needs something to work a tire off a rim. That said, people got along just fine before there were super steels.
No one needs anything, people can get along just fine with anything. Yes everything thing can break. Everything.

Check out Gerber knives, everything people need, nothing people want.

It seems like 1v is priced higher than 3v, despite having 3x less V (3% vs 1%) which is one of the more expensive elements to add to steel. I guess the price discrepancy is purely based on the low volume?
Thanks for the info : )

It seems like 1v is priced higher than 3v, despite having 3x less V (3% vs 1%) which is one of the more expensive elements to add to steel. I guess the price discrepancy is purely based on the low volume?
Thanks for the info : )
We do pay Crucible more for CPM 1-V. I agree that volume plays a part.

If you want super tough steel with reasonable price to be made into something big and wouldn't destroy your wallet, Uddeholm Calmax is pretty nice. I found it to be much tougher than 5155 and even L6 at similar hardness.

Back