CPM 3V vs. A2

Phil Wilson recently posted that S125V should have the wear resistance of 10V ( appx) and he was getting less hesitant to use it. If I can ever save up the money I'd order one from him even if it has to be finished stone washed or bead blasted. Heck, I'd sand it by hand myself just to try it out. I'm no longer in a position where I can do all the stuff for stock removal but I can still sand knives .

According to Phil after 80 grit the belts don't polish up the steel all that much, so naturally it will be an expensive, time consuming steel to work. That's not even counting the heat treating aspect.

I'd still love a small folder or "mule" in S125V" for testing & carry. Somebody, somewhere will figure out it's secrets and make some really special knives. Personally, like Vassili, I feel I can sharpen any steel with my diamonds.

To change directions again Once again I'll say I'd think a Military sized knife in Super blue steel at RC62 ( not 64) would be something very special too. Not quite an S125V, but suitable for mass production. I love the stuff. Joe

Phil Wilson recently posted that S125V should have the wear resistance of 10V ( appx) and he was getting less hesitant to use it. If I can ever save up the money I'd order one from him even if it has to be finished stone washed or bead blasted. Heck, I'd sand it by hand myself just to try it out. I'm no longer in a position where I can do all the stuff for stock removal but I can still sand knives .

According to Phil after 80 grit the belts don't polish up the steel all that much, so naturally it will be an expensive, time consuming steel to work. That's not even counting the heat treating aspect.

I'd still love a small folder or "mule" in S125V" for testing & carry. Somebody, somewhere will figure out it's secrets and make some really special knives. Personally, like Vassili, I feel I can sharpen any steel with my diamonds.

To change directions again Once again I'll say I'd think a Military sized knife in Super blue steel at RC62 ( not 64) would be something very special too. Not quite an S125V, but suitable for mass production. I love the stuff. Joe

The Solution is simple and I am crying about it for some time now - Crusible should make laminated blanks with CPM S125V core around 0.5-1mm and with CPM 154 sides! (I hope now they will notice this). (or some other steel which match CPM S125V heat treatment...)

Then this blades will be grindable and will have extreme wear resistance in edge.

Thanks, Vassili.

Well, Vassili, it's not that easy. You can not laminate any abitrary steel combination. The need to have a similar heat treat and a similar expansion coefficient, or they will badly warp and or are not heattreatable. Are you sure that you can use that combination in a laminate?

The Crucible charts are misleading if you don't read the text to them. Hardheart already said it: 9V is not a blade steel and is meant to kept soft. I think we just had the topic in the review section.

Grego: I don't know about Fehrman. There have been a few knifemakers that really know what they are doing and reported that they had trouble to get 3V to perform. There have been others that have been quite happy with it. The fact that Fehrman uses only 3V doesn't mean much to me, they could simply capitalize on those people that go strictly by the chart (hype if you will so). I have been looking at the Fehrman knives as well, but sofar I have not bought one, because there is just not enough information available on how they perform. I want to see a few more field tests before I jump on the wagon. I think that 3V has tremendous potential, but at the moment I am sitting on the fence, observing where the ball is going to fall. Again, just my $0.02.

HoB,

Check out Ron Hoods forums if you are looking for more info on the Fehrmans. There are a lot of Fehrmans in use over there. Ron Hood said it best when he said "There is 3V, then there is 3V heat treated by Eric Fehrman" Give a Fehrman a try you won't be sorry, and if you don't like it send it back and tell Eric why and he will give you your money back I am sure. They are great people!

How about ZT's CPM3V like on the 0100 because I was thinking of getting it but was worried it was prone to rust. What do you guys think?

How about ZT's CPM3V like on the 0100 because I was thinking of getting it but was worried it was prone to rust. What do you guys think?

Just an FYI, this is a 3 year old thread. Some of the thread's original participants may no longer be around.

Back