CR Project Got Pwnd

Sirahren,

These gentlemen are all business, they know precisely what they needject.

Fooj

Well, i'm certain the GB could do basic stuff good, like enter people's necks or cut rope without breaking. I'm not saying I know what these guys need but I can at least guess that it consists of basis rugged cutting tasks and flesh penetration. Any knife under 50 bucks can do that. So why pay $300 for one that breaks under a little more stress?

Obviously, most of our opinions are very subjective. Personally, I don't consider whacking the spine of a knife with a 3# mallet a little more stress. That's just me.

We all have different opinions of what we expect of a knife. Nothing wrong with that. If we all thought the same there would be only 1 knifemaker out there.

Man I would just LOVE to see some of the non serration CRk fixed blades tested. Lets get that Neil Roberts to NOSS! And that Fixed blade Tanto knife CRK makes, get that thing over there. Somone with cash to burn needs to step foreward and donate a couple knives so we can see if the serrations played a major roll in the early failure.

Man I would just LOVE to see some of the non serration CRk fixed blades tested. Lets get that Neil Roberts to NOSS! And that Fixed blade Tanto knife CRK makes, get that thing over there. Somone with cash to burn needs to step foreward and donate a couple knives so we can see if the serrations played a major roll in the early failure.

Thats a good idea.
We have already ruled out the steel as the source of failure because the project and GB dont share the same steel.
The point where the two broke is common between the two, the serrations.

Well the Ka-Bar D2 Extreme did pretty well on the test as i'm sure you've all seen (don't act like you don't watch every damn new test). It has serrations and didn't fail like the others. So I am coming to two different conclusions...either ther are variables in the testing that are unseen or misunderstood, or there is something happening in the CRK fab process. Perhaps while milling out the serrations there is too much vibration creating a weak spot?

Okay....I've been watching this thread develop into the current animal it is
today.I've seen pics of sf operators with the yarbough knife in their tac vests
actual use not sure.I have 18 yrs in the army and most field knives get used
for everything while in the field hammer,saw,wire strippers,camel spider
spit,prybar,etc.sticky pokey in back, i guess for the sf guys maybe to pry out of their suv
when the ac gets them to cold and the lock freezes.:p I can see
both sides of the coin I am curious thou why no comment from Chris concerning the test like
maybe"wow never thought that was going to break that quick" or
"hmmm didn't design the knife to take a constant pounding from a 3lb sledge"
or"when designing the knife no special forces operator mentioned where they
would need a knife that could hack into a nuclear silo and slice cheese"

Tyrantblade

when designing the knife no special forces operator mentioned where they
would need a knife that could hack into a nuclear silo and slice cheese

Did you mean hack into the silo while slicing cheese or hack into it and THEN slice cheese? Because as the cement test clearly shows the GB edge retention....oh wait...it didn't make it that far.

This thread is starting to smell like dead horse... :yawn:

We all know by now that Chris Reeve knives are bad knives.:rolleyes:

(Hmmm... let's order another one!:D)

Kind regards,

Jos

Well the Ka-Bar D2 Extreme did pretty well on the test as i'm sure you've all seen (don't act like you don't watch every damn new test). It has serrations and didn't fail like the others. So I am coming to two different conclusions...either ther are variables in the testing that are unseen or misunderstood, or there is something happening in the CRK fab process. Perhaps while milling out the serrations there is too much vibration creating a weak spot?
NO, I do NOT watch any of Noss4's destruction of knives. I wouldn't call them test, just destruction of knives. His destruction of knives hold no creedance for me.

Sniff, sniff..... I smell something....Oh yeah, dead horse. Jos smelled it first. You are right my friend.

You should watch so you could see which knives are worth your money. Like that $10 scrap yard heaper or whatever its called. The cheap one.

Noss's test are akin to taking knives out and shooting them to see which is the toughest. Because after all in combat I want a knife that can take a hit or two and not leave me high and dry. That's about as likely a scenario as having to use a hammer to baton open crates under fire.

There are several variables in both scenarios that would drastically effect the outcome such as, strength, angle, and location of the blow/shot. One of the first things people do when testing anything is decide on what a good sample group size would be to test. I am not aware of any durability tests that only use one of the item to be tested and call it a "result". Most labs use several samples to get a good baseline performance, some do better some do worse. Simply breaking one knife and then calling shenanigans is far from ideal.

Not only is the methodology of Noss's test far from ideal the test in and of itself is absurd. The only thing you're proving by hammering on knives is which specific knife you have at the time can take being hammered on by you, nothing else. If I spent several hundred dollars on a knife and wanted to "test" it for it's practical durability I would use a wood object to baton through materials I reasonably expected to encounter during my use of the knife. Few knives would be tested to destruction with a wood baton and I imagine if one were to fail it would take a very long time and allot of physical effort. It wouldn't be as easy a taking a knife out to your shop and beating on it with a hammer and breaking it in under an hour, which proves only one thing, how well the exact knife that Noss has can put up with being hammered.

Several people have tried using well reasoned arguments to get you to see the absurdity of these tests and you answer with the same fan boy rhetoric you accuse them of using in defense of CRK. I never plan on hammering on my knives so these "tests" are little more than entertainment to me, but watching a guy in a Jason mask chopping, stabbing, hammering knives gets old really fast. Perhaps he could add some soothing background music, might I suggest Thomas Dolby -She blinded me with Science.

Well its not like it took a lot of hammer hits to break it. I would be afraid to baton with it personally, so I won't. I don't think heavy batoning is that far off from hitting it with a hammer. Eventually its gonna go. Its too damn fragile man. its like the powdered metal didn't cure or something lol. Its like the sandstone of steels. Fuck it, i'm declaring my next buy a Busse. I'd rather wipe a knife with an oil rag once in a while to rpevent rust than have the fear of the damn thing breaking on my ass in the back of my mind. False advertisment for the GB for sure. Tough my ass.

Artilary 6,
We can do without that type of language in the regular forums. Please keep it family friendly.

Eric

Artilary6, check your language. you're not in whine, and cheese.

Last edited:
Well its not like it took a lot of hammer hits to break it. I would be afraid to baton with it personally, so I won't. I don't think heavy batoning is that far off from hitting it with a hammer. Eventually its gonna go. Its too damn fragile man. its like the powdered metal didn't cure or something lol. Its like the sandstone of steels. Fuck it, i'm declaring my next buy a Busse. I'd rather wipe a knife with an oil rag once in a while to rpevent rust than have the fear of the damn thing breaking on my ass in the back of my mind. False advertisment for the GB for sure. Tough my ass.

You have crossed the line.....This is proof to me that you are a troll :barf:

I'm out of here.....

Chris D.

Back