Creating a dugout canoe. Lots of nice tools and skill here.

Wonder if that was straight pine tar?
Slick production and marketing. Never heard of them but seven hundred dollar plus axes? :eek:

Here we are thinking that whittling out an axe handle from scratch is a big deal! Pretty impressive set of skills (... and razor sharp tools) from the fellow that initiated this project. Thanks for this Curt Hal.

I watched this a couple of nights ago when I was looking up something that linked to John Neeman axes>Autine>The Northmen Guild. In fact I think there was a post here of the Northmen intro video when someone first noticed that their site redirected.

Come on Garry! It's only something like 590 Euro ;) - Out of my price range for an axe as well. I also wonder how much something like that proportionately cost back in the day when they were required tools for existence.

Axes aren't rifles but that might be seen as the equivalent to a better than decent rifle without optics.

I don't mean to drag Jake Pogg into this but he shared some pictures of an axe (seemed a pretty complicated one to me) he forged from a block of steel (took two guys) to a handled axe over the course of some time as it was being forged. It made me appreciate what he does but it also made me realize the man hours that go into making something like that.

Curt Hal, Very interesting video with some awesome tools. Those canoes sure didn't happen over night lol.

I watched this a couple of nights ago when I was looking up something that linked to John Neeman axes>Autine>The Northmen Guild. In fact I think there was a post here of the Northmen intro video when someone first noticed that their site redirected.

Come on Garry! It's only something like 590 Euro ;) - Out of my price range for an axe as well. I also wonder how much something like that proportionately cost back in the day when they were required tools for existence.

Axes aren't rifles but that might be seen as the equivalent to a better than decent rifle without optics.

I don't mean to drag Jake Pogg into this but he shared some pictures of an axe (seemed a pretty complicated one to me) he forged from a block of steel (took two guys) to a handled axe over the course of some time as it was being forged. It made me appreciate what he does but it also made me realize the man hours that go into making something like that.

Curt Hal, Very interesting video with some awesome tools. Those canoes sure didn't happen over night lol.
Depends what time frame you are talking about as "back in the day". The Icemans axe would have been much more expensive than a Emerson and Stevens for instance.

I don't fault the Craftsman for getting all he can from his labor and I have always had a weakness for the handcrafted, but I would never drop that kind of cash on an axe. I do wonder how many of these high dollar axes will ever actually be used and are not just purchased by collectors. Nothing wrong with that it's just not for everyone.

Great video. I love the craftsmanship. But what they don't show is all the kerf work that was done with a chainsaw. See video at about 6:10.

The swewed curved adze/gouge is a cool tool.

I've seen video of another of these being made. It's amazing, truly a lifetime achievement for a craftsman.

Last edited:
Never heard of them but seven hundred dollar plus axes? :eek:

You wouldn't want one of his axes anyway, he uses steel wedges...............

Seriously, that canoe is a fantastic piece of work, thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Thanks Agent_H, he clearly doesn't read this sub-forum :rolleyes:

Some lovely tools though, I now fancy making a twisted curved adze, that's the first time I've seen one.

Garry, I think he was ribbing someone about their dislike of steel wedges. :)

Last edited:
Odd statement. Not sure how to take it.....
Garry, I think he was ribbing someone about their dislike of steel wedges. :)

After reading this sub-forum for a while, anyone looking for advice would get the impression that steel wedges must never be used, something that must be avoided like the plague.

So, either steel wedges are acceptable or Mr Neeman who makes those lovely (& expensive) axes doesn't know what he's doing, he does use steel wedges.

After reading this sub-forum for a while, anyone looking for advice would get the impression that steel wedges must never be used, something that must be avoided like the plague.

So, either steel wedges are acceptable or Mr Neeman who makes those lovely (& expensive) axes doesn't know what he's doing, he does use steel wedges.
Metal wedges function perfectly well but without a pre cut kerf to drive them into you risk splitting the handle. There are various small steel wedges that can admirably serve to lock a wood wedge in place but if the primary wood wedge is backing out on it's own how much work is it to either pull it or drive it back in? Neeman probably doesn't want to take that chance after the tool leaves his shop.

300six beat me to a response.

I figure you don't argue with someone to change their mind. That doesn't work. If needing the other person to say you are right and they are wrong as a sign of being understood then that is a lose-lose. The best outcome is for both guys to walk away with something to think about they haven't before.

I'mSoSharp (I realize I abbreviated your username to ISS once - Didn't think about that until later...) I value your opinion and input, have coveted some of your finds, axe hangs, and what you can create - especially with some of the tools we don't see often here or in person. I've enjoyed looking up info on them.

I've read every one of your posts with interest, I actually tried to harvest your pictures for you when Photobucket went down so I could look at them/mention them as examples or send them back to you in the event you wanted to rebuild your cool thread on Spanish Flea Market Finds and didn't have them. The last few mentions/hints at steel wedges I thought you were kind of ribbing me for the crosswedging. And I thought you did it in a way that actually made me laugh. You know, one of those instances where you read the subtext in a way that said, "That guys is pretty funny actually and I get what he is saying" In fact my last post in this thread from last night, I edited shortly after hitting reply because I totally got what you were saying - and I had a couple beers in me. I'm an easy going guy sober and even more so when not.

There are two steel wedges in my glove box of my truck - one larger/one smaller, in the event something I am using comes loose. That "something" might be a tool I set up, one that someone here set up, or something factory set up. There are some very strong opinions and even stronger (sometimes brash) personalities that hang out here.

Some of the guys here might enjoy a fight with you about it - even if they don't feel that strongly but because that is part of their temperament. It also seems to be our weekly cycle lol. Most of the older axes we find or can find picture examples of from the "Golden Years" are appreciated for the human hands that created and assembled them with such care. The most coveted are those tools still on original handles and still solid in their eyes. A good portion of those were not originally sent out with steel wedges.

I have used an axe all my life and until about 5 years ago didn't care about any of this detail crap. CityOfTheSouth has a project post that truly impressed me and I was struck by the beauty of his work and he was willing to answer questions about it. It also got me interested in what I might do to avoid using steel wedges. Yes, cross wedging is unnecessary - you almost could say... as unnecessary as a steel wedge if you think about it.

You made a comment something along the lines of why are we always equating a well-placed steel wedge with filling the eye full of other stuff - I think you are right to call that out. One does not equate to the other. And I can see how watching that happen over and over here could rub a guy the wrong way. There are some bandwagon things here that do that to me – probably to everyone I would imagine.

The last couple of weeks I have grumbled about steel wedges and I apologize to anyone who feels the implication of using them equates to lesser skills, knowledge, or value in their work or tools. I bet the majority of you guys know more about using an axe than I do and your axes are sharper than mine.

There are so many steel wedge threads on here where you will find someone having a strong opinion and actually being demeaning while presenting it. That isn't my deal here.

My avoidance of them is out of personal challenge; my recent grumbling about them is from splitting two handles reseating them and this unmarked Woodslasher boy's axe (which have proven to me that they are great tools with no fancy marks).

A wedge between us by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

This axe was mounted on a full-size handle, upside down. There are seven steel wedges that you can see and three you can't. Being as the head was mounted upside down, it widens at the bottom. That allowed the last user to literally stack three of those buggars one on top the other. Those three wedges actually spanned the entire depth of the eye and went all the way to the shoulder - deep enough that it ate my coping saw blade before I realized the difference trying to cut it off. But, again that also isn’t what you are talking about.

So, the post I deleted last night that I think would have condensed this silly monologue:

Garry, it’s subtle. I had to read it a couple of times and each time I liked it more. I’ve typed up 5 responses just to backspace over them laughing each time. I think if I am laughing this hard then none of them are appropriate for the forums.

So just the one will have to do:

“I’d take two steelies in the kerf for just one of Neeman’s axes”

Maybe an axe n drink post with bring it home.

I still take it as friendly ribbing because... well, I like that better.

Quick, someone post a Neeman tool :)

Perhaps you forgot how I responded to your preference for steel wedges in the "What Did you Hang Today" thread?

" I have also noticed how easy the plastic wedges are to re tighten on the newer FSS Pulaski(or whatever they are made out of). Worked for me much like your steel wedge. Sink the head further on the handle and drive the wedge further down using a cold

I think much of the bad rap that steel wedges get are from the steel cross wedges that manufactures and users put in with out regard or understanding of grain alignment and they cause splits in the handle. My understanding of them is that they were originally used to simply lock the wooden wedge in place. I think that reasoning has changed.

That being said I do prefer wooden wedges, for my own reasons...

Agent_H & garry3 I didn't mean it to come across as picking on either of you, which it obviously has by my use of both your quotes, apologies.
My jab was more of a general observation about this forums hatred of steel wedges that over time has become pretty much universal, to the point it's misleading to anyone reading who wants to learn. I thought it worth pointing out the Neeman axes & adzes come with a steel wedge, surely a pretty good demonstration of a hang?

I nearly always use wooden wedges of course, but 90% of the time they are used in combination with steel, I understand only using wooden wedges & use/have used that method, but at times the best results are achieved using a steel wedge as well.

People are "free to do whatever they want", obviously I'm sure all would aree with that (but some here would add the cavert "as long as no steel wedges are used").

Sorry Curt Half for going off topic, back on topic I watched the video again, it really is an impressive display of knowledge & skills let alone some very nice tools :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Agent_H & garry3 I didn't mean it to come across as picking on either of you, which it obviously has by my use of both your quotes, apologies.
My jab was more of a general observation about this forums hatred of steel wedges that over time has become pretty much universal, to the point it's misleading to anyone reading who wants to learn. I thought it worth pointing out the Neeman axes & adzes come with a steel wedge, surely a pretty good demonstration of a hang?

I nearly always use wooden wedges of course, but 90% of the time they are used in combination with steel, I understand only using wooden wedges & use/have used that method, but at times the best results are achieved using a steel wedge as well.

People are "free to do whatever they want", obviously I'm sure all would aree with that (but some here would add the cavert "as long as no steel wedges are used").

Sorry Curt Half for going off topic, back on topic I watched the video again, it really is an impressive display of knowledge & skills let alone some very nice tools :thumbsup:
I have some hanging preferences that are quite different in thinking. They are well documented here and I have voiced them with out being ridiculed. Your opinion is just as good as anyone's here. I encourage you to speak your mind. There are probably others that share your opinion, most manufactures obviously do.:thumbsup:

When I was much younger I unquestioningly took the advice of seasoned folks that were self reliant or in the forestry trade before chainsaws. I realize now that they weren't necessarily skilled, efficient nor correct (?), but work did get accomplished. Now we have self-professed Google-educated "experts" that haven't hung an axe in their lives telling us how it's supposed to be done.
In many ways this is a bad thing and in other ways it's worthy since Greenhorns finally get an opportunity to appraise and appreciate what and why things are done the way they are. All a question of understanding how to "separate the wheat from the chaff".

Back