crk fixed blade toughness

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have any experience on how tough crk fixed blade knifes are, especially the one piece knives. After reading both of the tests of the knifetests forum, i am hesistant to buy one of these seeing how poorly they did on the tests, Noss even stated that the green barret was the most fragile knife he had tested. Also how well does the A2 hold its edge since Chris Reeve heat treats them softer than others? Thanks guys, I hope you can ease my mind because I want to buy a mountaineer I.

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Buy the Mountaineer I. Noss does not "test" knives. He beats on them. The CRK One-piece line has held up just fine in use, including heavy use.

The slightly softer RC is still hard enough to hold a sharp edge well, and can be touched up by strop or steel in the field without a lot of sharpening equipment.

Let's not argue about what does or does not constitute a valid test. There's already more than enough banter on that subject.

Obviously one could buy a tougher knife (or a better cutting knife) than the M1.

If the M1 appeals to you, then buy it. Asking where you know the knife will receive favorable reviews does nothing to change the empirical evidence.

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Why not argue? The "tester" put a bug in a lot of people's heads, but provided no legitimate evidence.

It's your money, but if toughness if concern #1, I think there is plenty of evidence there are tougher knives available.

toughness isn't my number one concern, I don't abuse my knives, I am wanting a hunting/camping knife, but it's nice to know that if a situation came up and I needed to use the knife in a manner that could be considered abuse, I don't want it to fail on me. Thanks for the replies guys!

The M1 is one of my fave CRK knives. I use it for bush craft and about the kitchen most of the time but you could easily edc it of you wanted a fixed blade for such things. Its a nice compact size and comes with a great sheath :thumbup:

The only problem I have with it is the handle could be bigger but its actually not that big of a deal on the whole.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC06829.jpg
    DSC06829.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 807

TAH

Gold Member
I don't see the M1 as a knife that needs to be all that tough. Its size limits its uses to general cutting tasks. It certainly wasn't designed with chopping, digging, and prying in mind, but I think it would hold up quite well in a pinch.

I just received my M1 six days ago and it's going on its first backpacking trip this weekend. My F1 and Mora Clipper aren't too happy about it. :D

Funny stuff. I've said it before. This is like driving a corvette off of a building, looking at the twisted pile of metal and saying, "That car doesn't drive worth a damn!"
Then, one of the folks who watched the video, goes over to the Corvette forum and says, 'I'm worried about how well it handles the corners." HA!

Last edited:
Noss tests knives for abuse. If you don't intend to abuse the knives, then you don't have to worry.

Another point is that both models he tested were serrated, and those are stress risers. I think they would have faired better in plain edge.

Regardless, the quality and usability of their one-piece line is well documented, and you don't really ave anything to worry about.

Sharpened prybars can take one hell of a beating, but you wouldn't catch me filleting a fish or cleaning a deer with one.

Specific jobs require certain tools. You would not catch me u sing my fillet knife to chop down a tree, nor would I use a khukri to clean a fish.

Nessmuk had the right idea: carry a hatchet/axe if you need the extra 'umph.

I have used mine a bit and have no complaints about it. I have chopped down some 2" diameter trees with it, batoned and cut up some random food for the kitchen. My only complaint is that I like some of the other blade shapes a bit more then the Sable model that I currently own. If you use a knife for what it ws designed for then you will not have any issues.

knives007.jpg
[/IMG]

Lolapics024.jpg
[/IMG]

CRKSableIV006.jpg
[/IMG]