CRK Impinda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, is it a traditional? I don't know how to do a poll. I guess - yes.

IMG-20180602-WA0000-620x400.jpg

Doesn't look quite "traditional" to my eye though I am a fan of CRK. Frank and Gary can pronounce judgment on the matter.

Here's a link to more info about the knife.

Good to see you here Elliott, hope you're having a good Sunday :thumbsup:

There seems to be a push with some modern makers to provide knives that utilize their style and patterns with smaller non locking blades. Think Spyderco, Benchmade, Spartan, and others I can’t think of off the top of my head.
I feel this is to accommodate jurisdictions that have outlawed locking blades of a certain length where traditionals have been the only option. It gives people in those places the ability to carry a legal modern folder if they wish.
I disagree with the sentiment that these are attempts to “get into the traditional market”, and feel that it is more of an attempt to be in a market their normal patterns cannot.
I don’t think any of these patterns have a place on the porch, though some have been afforded one.
Just my opinion.

There's an existing thread, Modern Traditionals....;) that hasn't had a post in quite awhile. In that thread Frank spelled out what I think is appropriate for this discussion.

Guidelines for defining the "fine line":
Modern materials - OK - we do those anyhow.
Modern shapes - maybe.
Pocket clips - nope
thumb studs or other non-traditional opening devices - nope
If the knife showed up in the daily carry thread, without showing the pocket clip, it'd probably get a pass. With a clip it's a no go.
I don't see any reference on Chris Reeve's website that indicates whether the clip is removable or not.
Looks like a nice knife, as all of Chris's knives are.
@knarfeng I'll let Frank weigh in also, if he has a mind to.

The pocket clip is held in place by a single screw....so yes removable...
What a delite to the eyes...

It's a big knife, never understood the reasoning for a clip on a slipjoint.

Doesn't qualify, IMO. There is a growing market of modern non-locking knives, especially for the european market. Many countries there have laws banning locking knives, knives that can be open one handed, knives of a certain length, or a combination of that. Knives like the Spyderco Pingo, DKPK, and Roadie, the Fällkniven LTC (Legal to Carry), and a bunch of new Bokers amongst other brands fill the niche of bringing modern materials and construction to the market, giving people options other than Swiss Army Knives and other traditionals.

It's a big knife, never understood the reasoning for a clip on a slipjoint.

It's big-ish for a slipjoint if you stick it in your pocket. Granted, a clipped slipjoint (one that requires 2 hand opening anyway, unlike a Spyderco UKPK or Urban or that newish Hinderer) doesn't exactly make it a speeddemon to open, but it does save a few seconds. Mainly though, it keeps it out of the way of everything else that might be in your pocket and doesn't leave you with a big chunk of something flopping around loose at the bottom.

One might argue that it's a modern take on the sodbuster pattern.

It wouldn't be my choice from the various knives offered by CRK, but I'm sure it's well executed.

I'd have to handle one. Although not traditional, I don't mind the option for a clip. As far as design is concerned, I think it looks better than the BMs, but still kinda bland. The size I think it's cool, it's between small and large Sebenza, and in my CRK lusts I've wished for an in between size Sebenza. But I'm not going to pay that price tag for this knife, and I agree that the blade over 3", while is fine for places that have a 3.5" restriction, is on the larger end for slip joints, and is a limiting factor for a lot of people in that regard.

Why not an Mnandi sized slip joint to go with it? That knife is halfway to traditional as it is, and a really fine looker with GREAT cutting profile.

Last edited:
The Case 3254 Trapper with yellow delrin/composite covers has always been considered a traditional knife. Well, now Case offers it as a 3254C with a clip on it. I'll not post a picture of it because it doesn't qualify as a traditional knife in that configuration.

It seems that some modern knife manufactures are trying to make inroads to the traditional market and some traditional manufactures are trying to make inroads to the modern market as Elliott implied with his statement above - "One might argue that it's a modern take on the sodbuster pattern.".

I'm gping to have to look into that knife, I hadn't heard of it. It looks like a Bill Harsey design to me. It reminds me of the old Gerber Air Ti, a little 1990s nail nick lockback that doesn't look super traditional:

View media item 2604

Has about a 1 pull increasing to a 6. What is cool about this design of the spring (which is being patented) is it is hard to close. Which makes this design very interesting. It won best of the Blade show for an American made knife for 2018 on Saturday June 2nd.

Best way I can describe it is like the old Nautilus machines in gyms which was popular in the 80's with the cam. The spring is not like anything else in slippies.

It also comes with an insert so the clip can be removed and replaces with that insert. So if you don't want a clip. I removed mine and think it looks great without the clip.. The clip itself is a very nice design. The knife comes with a take down tool (yes these are meant to be taken apart), also comes with a leather sheath, a tube of CRK grease and birthday card. All in a very nice box with very cool additional paperwork as well.

Very nice for someone into slipjoints and also great for those who are not. Kinda bridges that gap.. especially for places in the world where one hand opening and lock blades are illegal. SO it covers a lot of ground.

Last edited:
I’m having an internal struggle with this one,I like it a lot but in the uk it’s £450.00 gbp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back