CRK Umnumzaan Tanto

Ordered one earlier today. Pretty excited. Have a 21 & a 25, so this will be the first 'Zaan...
Do you have one already? Thoughts? Opinions? Comments? How about a pic?

Well, it arrived in less than 24 hours of ordering, thursday ordered at around noon and it was there just before 11am friday morning. Thanks Neil!

Here it is, the Umnumzaan Tanto:

uOarZTG.jpg

MIFTRN7.jpg

0H3Bm6N.jpg

n5SIL9s.jpg

Last edited:
At first the 21 was my favorite but after a few months with the 25 it's a must for any CRK enthusiast but the Tanto is just AWESOME.

Ordered one earlier today. Pretty excited. Have a 21 & a 25, so this will be the first 'Zaan...
Do you have one already? Thoughts? Opinions? Comments? How about a pic?

Nicely done. Post some pics when it shows up, I would love to see it. Being a fellow Canadian I'm curious to know where you ordered from? Is it a CDN supplier or US? The newbie in me would love to get some info. I'm not sure if this against forum rules to ask on here, please feel free to email me at john @ designersprinting .com (no spaces) if it's more appropriate.

I thought the Tanto blade shape was just a gimmick, but after using one for a while, I got it! Very versatile….. It's like a second point at a different angle...

I only have two 'Zaans myself, and one is this Tanto. I love it, especially with the "Dynamic Tip" that True North had them put on a few of the early ones. It's awesome.

9xwl5o551maojy4fg.jpg

Great knife l love mine...Not a tanto.

Thanks for posting the pic! Seems like you really use your 'Zaan! I am sure it has held up well..

I love mine too, not a Tanto either.

Thanks for posting the pic! Really shows off the harpoon swedge on the blade...that is one thing i am gonna miss on the tanto shape it seems from the pics of it..

At first the 21 was my favorite but after a few months with the 25 it's a must for any CRK enthusiast but the Tanto is just AWESOME.

Nice photo!!! Similar order of acquiring them...got a used 21 first, liked it so much that went and picked up a 25, and now this! lol ..
Personally, i kinda like the tanto shape, and it is very usable, plus the confidence of a stronger tip is great... looking forward to seeing what this one is like in person. so far i have only seen pics.

Nicely done. Post some pics when it shows up, I would love to see it. Being a fellow Canadian I'm curious to know where you ordered from? Is it a CDN supplier or US? The newbie in me would love to get some info. I'm not sure if this against forum rules to ask on here, please feel free to email me at john @ designersprinting .com (no spaces) if it's more appropriate.

John, the 'Zaan tanto seems like a TNK exclusive, e-mailed you too...
The package actually arrived just before 11AM, but i am at work...i think im going to wait until i get home to open it...will post pics then..

The tanto umnumzaan has become my all around favorite knife I own

Let us see if it does the same for me!

I thought the Tanto blade shape was just a gimmick, but after using one for a while, I got it! Very versatile….. It's like a second point at a different angle...

I agree, the more one uses a tanto (Americanized..i know), getting used to the shape, the better it gets ;)
Already have a few fixed blade tanto, and a couple of Benchmade Griptilian tantos, and i like the shape of the blade...the secondary point at the transition near the tip and the stronger tip is great in use...

Great knife.
Nice pic! The older pivot looks great! Thanks for posting.

I only have two 'Zaans myself, and one is this Tanto. I love it, especially with the "Dynamic Tip" that True North had them put on a few of the early ones. It's awesome.

I have read about the dynamic tip...very interesting...however it seems like there was no mention of it in the current offerings...
Nice one you have there...Dynamic Tip + old pivot...! Nice pic too!

Hello guys- the Dynamic Tip Umnumzaan Tanto was a one shot deal short 20 pc run (maybe 25- been a long time)- it is not likely to be repeated.

The Umnumzaan Tanto that we offer is a TNK exclusive item along with the Sebenza 21 Tanto.

Chris Reeve has made Tantos well before our project came through- he made the NICA Sebenza Tanto in both large and small for years and although these are not made any longer they are still coveted knives and hard to find.

I have one brand new in the box and I will probably not use it- but I do knifesturbate with it from time to time. :)

Neil Ostroff
True North Knives
est 1997

Awesome Zaan Steve!! What is the date on that one if you don't mind me asking?
All the best, Huck I mean Dave..
And I Know what the other Zaan is your collection is... :D

9xwl5o551maojy4fg.jpg

I almost bought one of the dynamic tip ones but decided that my regular tanto tip from TNK was just fine. Such a great knife. Also Neil was a really nice guy to order from!

Hello guys- the Dynamic Tip Umnumzaan Tanto was a one shot deal short 20 pc run (maybe 25- been a long time)- it is not likely to be repeated.

The Umnumzaan Tanto that we offer is a TNK exclusive item along with the Sebenza 21 Tanto.

Chris Reeve has made Tantos well before our project came through- he made the NICA Sebenza Tanto in both large and small for years and although these are not made any longer they are still coveted knives and hard to find.

I have one brand new in the box and I will probably not use it- but I do knifesturbate with it from time to time. :)

Neil Ostroff
True North Knives
est 1997

Thank you very much for the details, Neil. I knew this was a pretty special knife, but I just bought it because I thought the tip looked very cool

hsr5vgglrt9d8zdfg.jpg

....What is the date on that one if you don't mind me asking?
...And I Know what the other Zaan is your collection is... :D

Jan 4, 2010, and I know you do ;)

That's Tanto tip is 1 great looking piece of hardware. My fixation begins...:rolleyes:
Once again very well done.

Back