• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

CRKT 4504 HAWK DOG Knife - G&G Hawk design Thoughts? Long out of Production

So after watching that awesome video by bladehq about G&G Hawk knives... and having Kershaw RAMs of my own... I went looking for other knives that they have made...

Apparently this Hawk DOG design was one of the first production designs by them? Anyway - now I'm interested - anyone have experience with this knife?

- I really would like a G&G designed TOAD but I cannot find those anywhere.

x3u693.jpg

253157-DOG_KO.jpg

[video=youtube;xW0QN79nXcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0QN79nXcc[/video]

Secondarily - CKRT HAWK K-AT3312 appears to be another of their designs... anyone have experience with that one?

I got one!
It's a very nice knife.
A bit blocky in shape.
But, awesome lock up and definitely overbuilt, even with an aluminum frame.
The lock is what was termed a D.O.G. Deadbolt Over Grasp or something like that?
Anyway, it funcyions very much like an axis lock does.
I locks at the same point on the blade as an axis lock does.
But, instead of an axis bar to do the locking, Hawk uses a Bolt.
The bolts is designed to work even when it is obstructed by dirt and debrie.
Once you get a look at the lock spring that's parked right behind it, it's easy to see why.
This is no omega spring.
Oh no, it's a good old fashioned compression spring and a pretty hefty one at that too.
It is very doubtful that will ever fail.
Awesome knife.
Not sure about the steel though.
I got a M2 mini-Ritter and well the steel wasn't as good as that.
So, there it sits.
Sad isn't it?

I have one too , it took me awhile to find one after they were discontinued.

The steel is AUS8 and mine is shaving sharp.

Mine might be an earlier version, the disc around the pivot on my knife is polished.

I have one too , it took me awhile to find one after they were discontinued.

The steel is AUS8 and mine is shaving sharp.

Mine might be an earlier version, the disc around the pivot on my knife is polished.

Yours looks something like this?
3458481285_482cc70d98_z.jpg

I like the looks of that far more than the black circle version... Any ideas as to where I might find one? Searched high and low...

I got one!
It's a very nice knife.
A bit blocky in shape.
But, awesome lock up and definitely overbuilt, even with an aluminum frame.
The lock is what was termed a D.O.G. Deadbolt Over Grasp or something like that?
Anyway, it funcyions very much like an axis lock does.
I locks at the same point on the blade as an axis lock does.
But, instead of an axis bar to do the locking, Hawk uses a Bolt.
The bolts is designed to work even when it is obstructed by dirt and debrie.
Once you get a look at the lock spring that's parked right behind it, it's easy to see why.
This is no omega spring.
Oh no, it's a good old fashioned compression spring and a pretty hefty one at that too.
It is very doubtful that will ever fail.
Awesome knife.
Not sure about the steel though.
I got a M2 mini-Ritter and well the steel wasn't as good as that.
So, there it sits.
Sad isn't it?

Grant Hawk's Dead-bolt Over Grabstep DOG Is their wording if I recall correctly.... Thank you for the info - it is tempting me - Not really liking the handles? Zytel? I'm not normally a big fan of hard plastic ridges....

If it were the polished circle there with different handles instead of black.. I'd be all over this - Thank you for the thoughts - I'll keep my eye out for this one.

Last edited:
Grant Hawk's Dead-bolt Over Grabstep DOG Is their wording if I recall correctly.... Thank you for the info - it is tempting me - Not really liking the handles? Zytel? I'm not normally a big fan of hard plastic ridges....

If it were the polished circle there with different handles instead of black.. I'd be all over this - Thank you for the thoughts - I'll keep my eye out for this one.

I bought this one a few years ago. It doesn't have the black disk, it's polished SS.
Yes the scales are Zytel ( hard plastic ) but there are no sharp edges,

IMO this is one of CRKT's best production models, I'd like to see them re introduce this one.

as far as finding one....well I saw a few available online , just google CRKT D.O.G.

i just picked up this HAWK D.O.G. Knife - plain edge.

Grant and Gavin Hawk make great knives - CRKT unfortunately poorly transplanted G&G Hawk's design in a few minor areas.

1. The thumb oval cutout is sharp/rough on all it's edges. They could perhaps have rounded off the oval as many other manufacturer's do. However, my thumb is getting used to it and it is not that big of a deal anymore.

2. The handles were poorly thought out in relation to the locking mechanism's grip. They could have made the handle flatter/thinner around the locking area - my thumbs can barely get to the lock while still hitting the sharp edges of the handle plastic cover. I think that I will take a dremel to it - this is a basic concept of plastic molding that CRKT failed to consider. UPDATE - I removed the plastic ZYTEL handles and with those removed - the ergonomics are 100% improved and the locking deadbolt is now easy to access - makes for a far better use experience. Custom handles from Gavin make it a better experience - still a little hard to engage the lock but far better than the default scales.

3. The clip - Update - I tightened it up a lot and it works just fine - the issue was the glue in the screw - once I screwed past the glue in the threads - the clip no longer wobbled and works just fine.

On the positive side, the opening (sans thumb sharpness on the oval cutout) is smooth and if you disengage the lock the knife can be easy flicked open and closed (similar to the axis lock of benchmade or the hawk lock of the Kershaw RAM knife). And it gets smoother the more that you play with it.

I bought the knife because of the unique locking mechanism and the fact that G&G Hawk collaborated on it - and to me, that makes it worth it.

Last edited:
Hey there. . .

So yeah, I was never really happy with that hole in the blade either. I liked how it was bigger than the original, but you're right, it had sharp edges.

I think I have a bag of custom Dog handles around some where. Most of them are the old canvas micarta.

The clip was designed to be adjustable for tension. So you can just tighten or loosen the screw at the rear for desired tension.

I think it's pretty cool that as we become more popular our older designs are starting to pop up :) I still really like the deadbolt design, and even have some ideas on how to make it a flipper. If only I had more time ;)

Gavin

Hey there. . .

So yeah, I was never really happy with that hole in the blade either. I liked how it was bigger than the original, but you're right, it had sharp edges.

I think I have a bag of custom Dog handles around some where. Most of them are the old canvas micarta.

The clip was designed to be adjustable for tension. So you can just tighten or loosen the screw at the rear for desired tension.

I think it's pretty cool that as we become more popular our older designs are starting to pop up :) I still really like the deadbolt design, and even have some ideas on how to make it a flipper. If only I had more time ;)

Gavin

Whoa - what an honor to hear from you on the topic!

If you happen to stumble upon that bag of custom D.O.G. handles and are willing to part with 1 or 2 of them I would be interested in buying (you can email me directly at (removed) if you have the inclination or time - I know that you are a busy man).

Old canvas Micarta - like this?
dog33.jpg

Can I just say that using/flipping my multiple Kershaw R.A.M. 's have brought me great joy over the years - that is one slick mechanism - I have never found anything better at that price range.

I am going to go and tighten that clip right now.

Looking very much forward to that Griploc Bokerplus knife of yours making it's way into my hands. No sharp holes in that blade!

Yes, please - that D.O.G. design in a flipper would rock many a person's world. I hope that your Griploc design there with Boker sells well so that they pick up more of your designs.

Last edited:
The top knife is a customized crkt D.O.G ,i made the scales from corian,polished all the parts & had a damascus blade made for it. the bottom is the real D.O.G,which i stole for 285.00;they are real cool knives.

I am a fan of Kershaw RAM and I regret that I did not buy slightly used CRKT DOG year ago for 30$ :(
That custom versions are gorgeous, me wanna.

I've always favored the ZT0500 MUDD design. I do wish ZT would bring that one back!

I love that one as well, traded for a user a while back, a would like to get a NIB MUDD for the collection, but have yet to run out of other knives that I want to buy my first one of. The stars will align someday, I'm sure...

Whoa - what an honor to hear from you on the topic!

If you happen to stumble upon that bag of custom D.O.G. handles and are willing to part with 1 or 2 of them I would be interested in buying (you can email me directly at glidingone22@gmail.com if you have the inclination or time - I know that you are a busy man).

Can I just say that using/flipping my multiple Kershaw R.A.M. 's have brought me great joy over the years - that is one slick mechanism - I have never found anything better at that price range.

I am going to go and tighten that clip right now.

Looking very much forward to that Griploc Bokerplus knife of yours making it's way into my hands. No sharp holes in that blade!

Yes, please - that D.O.G. design in a flipper would rock many a person's world. I hope that your Griploc design there with Boker sells well so that they pick up more of your designs.

Just found the bag! There almost all like this one. I do have one of the same material but checkered. And one that is the translucent green g10.
vitaliedog.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The top knife is a customized crkt D.O.G ,i made the scales from corian,polished all the parts & had a damascus blade made for it. the bottom is the real D.O.G,which i stole for 285.00;they are real cool knives.
That is a steal! Wanna sell it? ;)

Gavin

Man, I love my RAM. One of the few, maybe only, knife I have two of. I would have liked to picked one of these D.O.G.s up when they were in production.

Too many knives, not enough time.

Man, I love my RAM. One of the few, maybe only, knife I have two of. I would have liked to picked one of these D.O.G.s up when they were in production.

Too many knives, not enough time.

There appear to be a D.O.G. CRKT available if one were to search for CRKT HAWK DOG at the rainforest and ebay.

Last edited:
Back