CRKT Crawford/Kasper vs the Original

Sorry for causing trouble. I got a CRKT small one and sharpened it to perfection. The custom is probably unbelievable, but the production version works for me.

hey ankle pocket, no problem to me - opinions are like, well we wont go there lol - so you got a small CRKT? i ordered 1 last wk to use as a utility knife, it came today, and my wife took it from me, i never even hardly got to touch it - its her birthday next week, and she decided she liked it - now i cant decide whether to order another, or wait for the alumunm handle version to come out -

as far as crawford knives, they have withstood the test of time, remember that they were around when tertzuola, elishiwitz, and many many others were in another line of work - and again, i am very happy with mine, and think the CRKT is a helluva knife too for the $$, or for 2X the $$

i can have an opinion too - I also think the best production knife is REKAT, particularly the SIFU

also, imnsho, crawford has sold a lot of $350 and up knives, many liner locks, through the years for them to be "crap" - ya wouldnt think this would be so if they were, in fact, "crap" - people would stop buying them, unless PT Barnum was, indeed , correct about people

SIFU

[This message has been edited by SIFU1A (edited 06-13-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gene:
Hey Joe,
Points well taken. I must agree that I've also observed, (and tested), some Crawford custom liner locks that weren't as sound as they could have been. I've ALSO observed some that have been as strong as you could ask.
</font>

Ya, that's the thing, liner locks are generally hard to do consistently well, so you'll often find a mix.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
My REAL reason for posting though, is that aren't you really behaving anal with this newbie forumite?
</font>

Well, I'm anal with people I agree with, so you can imagine when I disagree
smile.gif
Seriously though, topics like differences between liner locks and integrals, testing, first-hand observations of quality, all of these are substantive topics whose pursuit I'm not willing to let get waved away as "anal", and they are also topics I've discussed with countless people for many years, with no cases ending in ad hominem arguments until yesterday. That's pretty good, anal or not! But, when the thread ends with ad hominems then certainly things were mishandled somewhere along the way, I can't argue with that.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Joe, I really didn't want to get into this but you expressed your disagreement with this fellow and I think he GOT it. Let it be. I DO respect you Joe and your opinions are valid. That doesn't mean that this fellow's opinions are less valid. </font>

In all honesty, I was going to drop it after my last response. A good rule: if you don't want to get into it, you might consider not doing so, Gene, especially if it could prolong a thread you're uncomfortable with. Also I'll note, again, that I don't think I said his opinion is less than valid anywhere (feel free to prove or retract, if you'd like), but there were some proveable claims and a lot of room for discussion -- which is what this board is about, and should be expected. I could go on, but I'll let it lie now.

Joe,

I greatly respect your objective, factual presentation in a discussion like this one.

Jeff/1911.

I hope that you guys don't mind me jumping in feet first, but........ Do the Crawford's make a frame lock version of the KFF? I've seen a picture of a frame lock Point Guard posted on the web. It seems that a frame lock version of the KFF would make a great ending for a somewhat heated debate.

Buzzbait: I dunno, but I have handled some of Crawford's rolling locks, and they are excellent in execution. At the time, REKAT's rolling locks were very gritty, and people were worried that that was a property of the lock itself. But then Crawford came out with some silky smooth rolling lock Carnivores. Since then, REKAT has significantly improved their own execution of the rolling lock.

I don't know if Pat licensed the rolling lock specifically for the Carnivore, or if he's allowed to use it wherever he'd like. If he can, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a rolling lock custom Kaspar.

Joe

well - i havent trusted my SIFU 100% since it cut me - i still love the knife, but in the back of my head i always wonder...i dont know, i think that because the SIFU has such a big blade, w/a lot of inertia, that it is hard on the lock if ya snap them open a lot, which i used to do a lot, since have stopped that, except for minimal practice - but i still say the liner lock, when properly made/execured, is perfectly adequate for most peoples needs, imho - just my .25 cents on the subject - and nothing wrong w/spirited debate, hell its what these forums are about, i take nothing personal - after all, its just a knife forum, not the bible/politics/something really important to the world -something we should/can all enjoy, and no reason not to do so in a friendly ,non combative manner imho

sifu

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SIFU1A:
well - i havent trusted my SIFU 100% since it cut me - i still love the knife, but in the back of my head i always wonder...i dont know, i think that because the SIFU has such a big blade, w/a lot of inertia, that it is hard on the lock if ya snap them open a lot, </font>

Ack! If my Sifu failed, I wouldn't trust it either. With most knives, if the lock fails, you're talking about cutting your fingers. With the Sifu, I'd be afraid of cutting my whole hand off
smile.gif
Did I miss this story of how the Sife failed? Were you using it and it just gave? Or did you hit the release button by accident?

Joe

no, was playing w/it in the garage, did a reverse slash and it closed up on me(slashed the air, not actually hitting anything lol) it did not lock at all - you could push up with 1 finger and it would close on you-well, KINDA locked, but not much just enough to were it wasnt real obvious - did do a lot of snap openings, maybe that messed it up...ended up selling it, and got another, no probs yet - but yes, cut the heck out of me, sent it back to bob and he fixed it up in 10 days, but just never trusted that 1, and worry some about this 1, prob for no good reason...

sifu

Getting back to the Original thread -
biggrin.gif
Ankle a while back I asked the same questions that you are asking. I had recently received the CRKT Version and thought WOW! If the Prod version is this great what about the Custom?

I located a second hand Custom KFF and bought it. The one BIG difference that I noticed is that on the CRKT KFF the blade release is easily accessible and makes closing the blade one handed very easy and smooth. However, on the Custom version the blade release is almost inaccessible with your thumb and thus I always had to use two hands to close the knife, no way around it. I hated that aspect and so I promptly sold the Custom version.

If I understand it correctly the design of the recessed lock on the Custom version was done so on purpose so that the Lock wouldn't fail accidentally if the user had an extremely strong grip (during high stress situations). I personally have never had a problem with the Lock (or the Safety LAWK) on my CRKT version.

IMO, this is one Production knife that I love and after having owned both, I would not recommend getting the Custom version of this design. However, I would recommend getting the NEW Alum handled versions that CRKT will be selling soon. Those are light and feel fantastic!

------------------
Green Acres is the Place To Be, Hard Livin is the Life For Me.

Thanks - I almost forgot about the original thread and have been noticing how nice the Sifu looks. My new CRKT Crawford/Kasper has found a nice home and I'm glad that I went that route. Also, the blade sharpens up very nicely with my Razor Edge Systems deal. The new aluminum one looks extraordinary and Columbia River is also about to come out with a nice version of the Navajo called the Chontrain or something like that. That's one kick-ass company.

I just got My CRKT Kasper, and for thirty bucks I think it's hard to beat. Now I have a knife I can use, and not feel guilty about hurting the finish, or scratching the blade

------------------
MY name is KC Slim,
and im a knifeaholic.
HI KC SLIM!!!

I go back and forth between my REKAT Pioneer and my CRKT/KFF(small). On one hand, I much prefer the feel of the Pioneer in my hand, which I have customized slightly with my Dremel.
smile.gif
OTOH, my KFF carries lighter and probably opens a bit quicker. Overall, I think the two are some of the best values in the class. My next purchase is a Griptillian.

i love my crkt crawford/kasper. i have carried mine for several months. i have used it to cut several different kinds of material, and it has performed flawlessly. it also holds an edge extremely well. i have not handled the custom version but for the price i think the crkt is an excellent knife.

agreee, the CRKT is great - and the custom version is difficult, not impossible, to close w/1 hand - read an article somewhere or another by bob kasper and he said when he designed the knife he made the lock release recessed deeply so no chance of accidental opening - and that ya always had plenty of time to close a knife, he wanrted 1` that was easy to open and wouldnt close on you - thats the gist of it anyway - but agree, the CRKT is a great 1 for the $$, i have 2 right now, gonna order the aluminum version when it appears - wonder when it will be out - probably in the fall -

sifu

I have three custom KFFs. One standard, one with a sub 3" blade (full size handle) and one with a training blade. I have no problem closing the blade by using my thumbnail to push the liner lock down and my index finger to begin closing the blade. Once my thumb is out of the way, I continue closing the knife with my index finger.

As to lock safety, I follow the adage that there is probably no such thing as a perfect knife lock. I have had my sharp KFFs modified with an unground section of blade at the pivot end of the blade. This way if the knife should close, the unsharpened edge will hit my finger and prevent my finger from getting cut.

As to the question of whether Pat Crawford will make the KFF with a Rolling lock the answer is no. Bob Kasper does not like the position of the RL slide bar so he will not authorize the use of the RL on the KFF. He feels that the slide bar can be accidentally moved by the index finger while gripping the handle thereby unlocking the knife.

Axel

[This message has been edited by Axel Yup (edited 06-16-2001).]

Joe,
I respect your objective, factual presentation in a discussion like this one.
smile.gif

Oh yeah, Joe, a good rule is that SOMETIMES I HAVE an opinion just like YOU, even if it IS uncomfortable.
wink.gif
Gene/Glock

Gene, I think we're all friends again, so it's all good. I realize you have opinions, but please, remember to submit your opinions to me for advance approval before posting next time
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back