CRKT Sebenza Pics

I recently received this item from a retired sales rep from CRKT.
It is a small Sebenza prototype given to the reps for marketing prior to regular production.
Apparently back in 1995 there was to be an approved joint venture but I do not think it ever made it to actual production.
I understand that Chris did not give final approval since the quality was not up to his standards. I have to agree, However, it is a great piece of CRK history that I could not pass up.

dave

Attachments

• MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,046
recoil said:
Apparently back in 1995 there was to be an approved joint venture but I do not think it ever made it to actual production.
I understand that Chris did not give final approval since the quality was not up to his standards.

Very Interesting bit of history :)

Chris D.

I remember hearing about these. I couldn't afford a real Sebenza at the time so I was stoked. When it didn't happen I was bummed, so I did without until I could afford the real deal.

CRKT let them on the market after clear "NO" message from Chris. That is very very low attitude...

There's been a couple fo threads here in the past several years about them. One person even had one with an "Eddie Bauer" logon on it.

I actually had one in hand once at a local knife show. It, for lack of a more professional word, sucked! Glad it never went into full production. It could have really hurt Chris Reeve Knive's reputation.

Anyone know how many were made and what happened (or was supposed to happen) to them? This is the first time I have heard PiterM's statement that they were actually released and marketed against CRK's wishes; I had only heard that the collaboration or project was aborted and that they were not sold on the open market, that the only ones around were from the sort-of test runs or whatever.

Inquiring minds want to know.

That is so wrong that CRKT released them after Chris said NO!! That is so sleeezy!!!

Not sure, but if I remember correctly, they are worth more than the real sebbies. No ?

dannyvi said:
Not sure, but if I remember correctly, they are worth more than the real sebbies. No ?

Well, I also own 8 real sebenzas and I wouldn't trade any of them for the CRKT version.
I couldn't pass up the chance to get the CRKT Proto since it was NIB with all the documentation from the company rep. It even came with an allen wrench!
It just seemed like too a great piece of Sebenza history to let slip away.

dave

That is a neat collectible, but man were they abysmal.:barf: I looked at one at the Blade Show when they were trying to decide if they were going to be released. A FRN frame lock is just a bad idea.

I'm trying to remember if they sold any at that show or not. I don't know, but I wouldn't have bought one for any amount of money (for a user). As a rare piece of Sebenza history it would be a keeper.

GarageBoy said:
They were never actually marketed

Yes, not marketed or mass produces. However the pre-production pieces somehow appeared on the market, which was against what Chris asked CRKT for. They should destroy these pre-production knives and not let them out of CRKT office. And they let them go, which was against any agreement between CRK and CRKT. Quite unfair IMHO.

What they are worth for me? Nothing. Only negative connotation.

PiterM said:
Yes, not marketed or mass produces. However the pre-production pieces somehow appeared on the market, which was against what Chris asked CRKT for. They should destroy these pre-production knives and not let them out of CRKT office. And they let them go, which was against any agreement between CRK and CRKT. Quite unfair IMHO.

What they are worth for me? Nothing. Only negative connotation.

I agree with you 1000%!

TheKnifeCollector said:
I agree with you 1000%!
I don't!! I have two sebbies, a small NICA tanto blade and a small classic ebony and gold inlaid sebenza. both new and unused! I sure could use the CRKT next to them.

Since I first started this post there have been quite a wide range of responses, both positive and negative. All of the comments from my fellow forumites are both respected and expected since after all Bladeforums is "The Leading Edge of Knife Discussion".
Chris and Anne Reeve. as well as their fine staff have always treated me quite well during my dealings with them over many years as a writer, LEO and knife collector.
As stated earlier, I purchased this folder as a piece of sebenza history only and I do not pretend to know the whole story behind the business dealings & agreements surrounding the CRKT folder and all parties involved.
I do, however, know that the respect CRK receives from their many personal and business interactions is well deserved and if they were in fact deceived by the release of any of these folders I am more than happy to give this sample to them to do with it as they please.
The CRK label proudly boasts "Excellence since 1984".
All makers should strive to be as good.

dave/recoil

I agree that it is unfortunate that CRK did/was not able to destroy all samples, but personally I'm not to worried. I've only seen I think 3 or 4 total ever in the past 3 - 4 years.

Just enough that CRK afficinados might actually know what the are if they see one, but rare enough that I seriously doubt anyone would think they are or are representative of to CRK products.

Back