Crosscut Saw Thread

All of the yellow ones! That big red one and the drag saw both look interesting but are far less practical than the yeller ones.

Oh my Sawed...

YiN6Hyq.jpg

SoVxT6Y.jpg

Uz8zNYv.jpg

C4rmfpi.jpg

ALL the tools on this wall are specialized tools specifically for sharpening and working on saws.

xIqUnVa.jpg

78vmIN7.jpg

AMKAIkt.jpg

Saw anvils. That bottom one is 700lbs.

0oQvTM9.jpg

KBQYyNn.jpg

iIBbJ5e.jpg

0m9tTaR.jpg

58vIE72.jpg

Y74ETCV.jpg

200lb. Log dogs

With all that big logging stuff this must be in WA or OR.

I did some sanding yesterday trying to find an etch on my Simonds handled saw. Started with a used 320 grit sanding pad and Hoppe's No. 9 oil as a lubricant. Went very slowly and carefully, but there wasnt much left by time I broke through the rust even though at that point I was up to 800 grit.
It is a Simonds saw. I can make out the start of the ribbon for the logo on the left in this picture.
XgXiW26.jpg

I also worked with the picture to try to bring out the etch some more and can see "MASS." at center.
LFZmgf2.jpg

Here is an etch that I think would be similar to this saw's that I used as a kind of map to locate parts of the etch on my saw.
Krnnl7o.jpg

It doesn't seem to be like the etch that I've come across for a Simonds Canada Saw, but I'm sure there were many styles of logo, not all of which have a picture on Google :D
I believe it is straight taper ground because the back edge seems to be a constant thickness through the length of the blade, but maybe one needs calipers to detect the change on a crescent grind anyways?

I see bi-directional grind marks on your saw, indicating a crescent grind. Thinking a #325.
That is nice to hear, thanks again for the help.
The handles have dried up and shrunk and become quite loose in the collar. I see they're pinned in there. Is there any way to salvage the original wood or should I just remove the pin and make new ones?

Your handles don't look too bad. That model handle used a large, threaded lock up bolt that travelled up and down inside that steel collar. Best to just spray WD-40 into it then tap on the collar (not too hard). That should loosen the rust and get it out. Once out, wire wheel the threads then wrap steel wool around them and run the bolt back up into the collar. The steel wool will chase the rust out and should make for a smooth operation. One of those handles is missing its washer, easily replaceable.

If you look closely you can see this stump is peppered with springboard notches.

Fieldbrook-Stump-300dpi_web.jpg

The Fieldbrook Stump, in California, not long after it was felled in 1890. Cuttings from it have been used to create the new cloned saplings planted recently in San Francisco. Ericson Collection, Humboldt State University Library

Must have used something like this to fell it.

huge%20crosscut%20saw.jpg

Imagine the difficulty in clearing the gullets of that saw.

If you look closely you can see this stump is peppered with springboard notches.

Fieldbrook-Stump-300dpi_web.jpg

The Fieldbrook Stump, in California, not long after it was felled in 1890. Cuttings from it have been used to create the new cloned saplings planted recently in San Francisco. Ericson Collection, Humboldt State University Library

Must have used something like this to fell it.

huge%20crosscut%20saw.jpg

Imagine the difficulty in clearing the gullets of that saw.
imagine having to file that

imagine having to file that

Not within the same season lol!
That is why the filers were the highest paid in the camps.
Did the filer see that come in and gasp or just roll up the sleeves and get into it?
Either way, its going to need a few vise's in line for the job

Last edited:
I believe it is straight taper ground because the back edge seems to be a constant thickness through the length of the blade, but maybe one needs calipers to detect the change on a crescent grind anyways?

Since your saw is a uniform depth the full length of the saw, the back and teeth thickness will be close to the same along the entire length. It looks like a #0214 or a #214 saw. The #0214 is taper ground (2 gauges) and the #214 is flat ground. It is not a crescent ground #325 because a #325 is not a uniform depth the whole length. Really for a saw of this shape it makes no difference if it is crescent ground or taper ground and little difference if it is flat ground.
IlhVlap.jpg

20190112-140618.jpg

20190112-140905.jpg

20181227-154235.jpg

20190112-140639.jpg

20190112-140625.jpg

I have a lot of fun ahead regarding researching this saw. I cant make it the company name etched where Disston would normally have their name but there is an address for Main St Hartford that may provide a lead or clue.
This beauty came to me as is. Well kept and for good reason...that is till someone thought it best to scrap her.
Glad its home now :cool:

At first look, I dont think the handle has been off for a very long time if ever;)

20190112-140618.jpg

20190112-140905.jpg

20181227-154235.jpg

20190112-140639.jpg

20190112-140625.jpg

I have a lot of fun ahead regarding researching this saw. I cant make it the company name etched where Disston would normally have their name but there is an address for Main St Hartford that may provide a lead or clue.
This beauty came to me as is. Well kept and for good reason...that is till someone thought it best to scrap her.
Glad its home now :cool:

At first look, I dont think the handle has been off for a very long time if ever;)
where the heck do you keep finding such old saws!? i cant even reliably find post ww1 era saws in nice condition

Back