Crosscut Saw Thread

Placed here just for the photo op...

20190316-204054.jpg

I am excited to have grabbed this 5' champion tooth, she will be great for bucking, felling as well if the opportunity presents itself.
She has a good layer of rust, missing one cutter tip and handles. A western handle I have available thanks to M muleman77 will look and perform beautifully with her.
She will be next after the the plain tooth 48" under the hose in the vise now.
Tossed for scrap...I am happy to rescue her.

Just need to clear the saw bench of winter storage and the saw vise of the current sharpening project.

Cant wait to clean this blade :cool::thumbsup:

These cleaned up nice. They came from the same saw and are the same model (103) but are interestingly different woods. Perhaps one was a replacement?

IMG_20190320_144947 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190322_081956 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20190322_082001 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Those cleaned up very nice!

What is a good way to make those replacement retention pins for crosscut saw handles when time has claimed them or they are missing altogether?

Last edited:

What is a good way to make those replacement retention pins for crosscut saw handles when time has claimed or they are missing altogether?

This is a great question, and one I have thought about too. I have considered sizing a nail, snipping it to length and with heat and hammer attempt to off shape the head to lock in place but with a twist, have it release.
A theory not implemented.

What is a good way to make those replacement retention pins for crosscut saw handles when time has claimed them or they are missing altogether?

A standard steel rivet is often used and they work but are quite soft and wear more then harder pins. This photo shows two handles with rivets and one with a nail.
158650585.JLvnMwAn.jpg

In the day replacement pins could be purchased and they had a good place to grab them, as:
158650728.MrFonm2h.IMG_7516a.jpg

The best thing I've found is a socket head screw that the threads have been cut off. They are quite hard/durable and have a nice place to grip them.
166977504.wMvIVikM.jpg

Some just use a harder hex head bolt and they work also.

Jim

I

Dont k ow the best answer, but I I had to do it with no info I'd get some hardware store pins and upset them.

Heres a set I fixed up last winter. I use rivets off bvb the store shelf. They're a bit softer but easy to get and replace.

The trick is upsetting them just right.

A lot of the old handles I've come across still attached, as was this hardware, have been peened, it's a real aggravation!

h6tf6ma.jpg

xT4WszS.jpg

jIWRkdM.jpg

The size difference between the two holes is important
SEKlrsb.jpg

hTP2Y9j.jpg

1akxBVx.jpg

g3xKCAw.jpg

HfLDk1u.jpg
IckzkSx.jpg

LHeMxIy.jpg

59zHnlV.jpg

Mounted up
bZbPpTU.jpg

Crosscut saw adjacent...

This is the most beautiful buck saw I have ever seen. It’s got the rare tapered blade and a cool split spanner.
But the real beauty is in the repair. The original curved handle broke a long time ago and was blacksmith repaired with two iron straps. The repair is old enough to include a square nail. (C. Late 1800’s?)
uoK6Tke.jpg

pDs6YUi.jpg

irurK9s.jpg

OA10yb2.jpg

B1TEAHt.jpg

pct5oqe.jpg

Last edited:
I haven’t seen a saw set as ornate as this little Boker.
UCeJJVC.jpg

The arrow on the gague
g6tV8yJ.jpg

hQGi5w2.jpg

A52MIyp.jpg
beautiful, i need one now.

side note, i was given an atkins great american single man saw, the teeth are prety far gone, dont have a picture but at this point should i just grab a die grinder (or would it be quicker to just get a company with a waterjet to cut out a new set? joking but that would be awesome.)
basically it's rough and i dont know if i can fix it but it's got a great handle on it so that's cool.

how i found out about it kinda gave me a heart attack, I'm cutting some wood for my grandparents using my favorite saw that i'v got many hours filing/using and i cane to visit today and i saw that saw with it's handle spray painted black, some homejob handle and ruse everywhere, my heart stopped. but my saw was under it, that was an absolutely massive weight lifted when that happened.

beautiful, i need one now.

side note, i was given an atkins great american single man saw, the teeth are prety far gone, dont have a picture but at this point should i just grab a die grinder (or would it be quicker to just get a company with a waterjet to cut out a new set? joking but that would be awesome.)
basically it's rough and i dont know if i can fix it but it's got a great handle on it so that's cool.

how i found out about it kinda gave me a heart attack, I'm cutting some wood for my grandparents using my favorite saw that i'v got many hours filing/using and i cane to visit today and i saw that saw with it's handle spray painted black, some homejob handle and ruse everywhere, my heart stopped. but my saw was under it, that was an absolutely massive weight lifted when that happened.
Thanks for sharing that story!

Back