Crosscut Saw Thread

I have one crescent ground that someone sanded, apparently. The problem is they sanded the set pretty much off. That and the reasons SP cited are good reasons to be cautious.

Oh, I also wanted to ask if anyone has tried niolox type brushes? They do great with axes, knocking off the rest but leaving some patina.

I've read that you can cold blue them and then sand (very flatly) and repeat and bring the etch back that way. I was sanding it under water in the tub and lost track of where the etch was... I know better too I've done this a several hundred times.

Yankee Josh Yankee Josh , buy some gun bluing and cover the etch with it, then lightly sand it with some 1200 grit on a block and it'll turn up. I tried it on a Disston backsaw and it worked perfectly.
Haha. Good suggestion! As this one is obviously not a show stopper in appearance I probably will experiment with it. It is in really good shape though. Only some light pitting in one place.
On the one you did A17 did you have it down to bright metal before you applied the solution?

I tried blueing the etch but the more i tried the more etch I lost. But i know it's a quality saw and it's in great shape so I'm pleased. I did clean it and oil the wood. Here's some pics! Before;
cNoorjs.jpg

And after;
MAD4CkV.jpg
HxDd9cr.jpg
RJP0l6s.jpg

I'm going to sharpen the teeth and rakers once I get a day off. At this rate it may be fall before that happens! One more pic of what's left of the etch in case someone recognizes it. (I hope!)
BRQ1dL7.jpg

Have a great evening!!

I tried blueing the etch but the more i tried the more etch I lost. But i know it's a quality saw and it's in great shape so I'm pleased. I did clean it and oil the wood. Here's some pics! Before;
cNoorjs.jpg

And after;
MAD4CkV.jpg
HxDd9cr.jpg
RJP0l6s.jpg

I'm going to sharpen the teeth and rakers once I get a day off. At this rate it may be fall before that happens! One more pic of what's left of the etch in case someone recognizes it. (I hope!)
BRQ1dL7.jpg

Have a great evening!!

Does it read Warren PA at the bottom?

Does it read Warren PA at the bottom?
It says warranted down there. The placement of that word is one of things I've been looking for. A double circle with warranted in between the lines on the bottom and inside the inner circle two fleur de lis. The uppermost one upright and the bottom one upside down.
There's a forum lumberjocks with a thread about saws that's REALLY long. I've been scrolling through hoping to find a matching etch. I'm taking a break now but I'm on page 42 of 800 +. Trying desperately to find it!
Another clue is the letters i can see running through the middle of the etch are ONOM
I think there may be an S after the M but I'm not sure. Those letters don't mean anything to me but I'm hoping they will to someone! I'm on page 62 of that thread now... I WILL figure this out someday! Haha.

Last edited:
When I saw this, I just couldn't believe it. Looks like you have an (EC)ONOM(Y) Atkins saw. Partial embossing "onom" ??? - crosscutsawyer.com
You da man! Thank you A17! I don't see the fleur de lis but I'm sure it's a variation of that stamp. It's surprising how many etches DON'T have a double circle in the middle. Only that one! I'm super pumped thank you!
Here's a clear photo of the "economy" etch. Screenshot_20190430-005557_Chrome.jpg
I'm positive that mine says "warranted" instead of "made in the USA" on the bottom. Also the fleur de lis are readily apparent on my saw and are lacking in the photo. I'll have to keep looking to find an exact match but this is far the most promising thing lead. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Excellent. It is an Atkins after all.
Great tenacity and great sleuthing A A17
That's right! You called it initially. Mine doesn't appear to have the box running through the middle. You can see the unbroken lines of the circles. Anyone know anything about the economy line? When it was manufactured etc? I'm at work but will continue looking online after. Thanks again for the suggestions!

That's right! You called it initially. Mine doesn't appear to have the box running through the middle. You can see the unbroken lines of the circles. Anyone know anything about the economy line? When it was manufactured etc? I'm at work but will continue looking online after. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Neat discovery!

This c.1936 No. 090 Economy is similar to yours, same “Superior” medallion as well.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/352650012738

You da man! Thank you A17! I don't see the fleur de lis but I'm sure it's a variation of that stamp. It's surprising how many etches DON'T have a double circle in the middle. Only that one! I'm super pumped thank you!
Here's a clear photo of the "economy" etch. View attachment 1119928
I'm positive that mine says "warranted" instead of "made in the USA" on the bottom. Also the fleur de lis are readily apparent on my saw and are lacking in the photo. I'll have to keep looking to find an exact match but this is far the most promising thing lead. Thanks again!
Your saw got my attention. Looked high and low for that etch and after the "clue" info on E C Atkins' ECONOMY. Even though the etch is worn, it seemed to me that it was so distinct that it would be easy to find. I like to think of myself as optimistic rather than naïve.:rolleyes:

FWIW:

Your etch with an "ECONOMY" etch I found on the web.

And for the heck of it, the etch that A A17 found with the same "ECONOMY" etch I found.

A A17 's has the Atkins info on the bottom, but seems to be missing the model number. Worn off along with some of the "fleur de lis"?

Bob

Even though the etch is worn, it seemed to me that it was so distinct that it would be easy to find
Those were my thoughts exactly! I could see enough to match it if I could just find an example to compare it to. But thanks to some astute and observant forum members I was saved the trouble of viewing the other 750+pages of that thread! Thank you!!!

The one on eBay looks to have the exact same etching as yours with “Warranteed” in the lower half of the circle.
CD9-CFEEE-0-CCC-4-EE4-9-A07-A9-EA2-EBB07-F5.jpg
After clicking on the link you posted the saw I end up at doesn't have a good enough picture of the etch so I can see "warranted". Can you screen shot and post that pic for me itvd? I can't seem to find an economy that says warranted underneath. Thats great that you found one!!
This is by far my nicest cross cut saw. Paid 45 bucks for it. I really appreciate the help guys.

After clicking on the link you posted the saw I end up at doesn't have a good enough picture of the etch so I can see "warranted". Can you screen shot and post that pic for me itvd? I can't seem to find an economy that says warranted underneath. Thats great that you found one!!
This is by far my nicest cross cut saw. Paid 45 bucks for it. I really appreciate the help guys.
Ahh. I thought I had but I was confusing the two screenshots. I do believe it is the exact same etch as yours but it’s in worse condition and harder to make out.
E7-C724-B4-09-FB-41-EF-A1-C4-E5-B81117199-A.jpg

Back